Bilstein 5100s are a HUGE upgrade!

Greetings all,

I was pretty unhappy with the way my truck drove. I have a 19 LT (5.3) and I put a set of Trail Boss wheels/tires (275/65/18) on it. But, I noticed that no matter the size of a bump I went over the rear end swayed and the front bounced for what seemed like 20 minutes. Some bumps felt like my eyeballs were going to pop out of my head. 

Living in Los Angeles the freeways and streets are terrible, so I was in the market to get new shocks to help with the ride. I ended up getting the Bilstein 5100s. I got the adjustable height front strut and eliminated the ready lift under strut 2” spacer. I kept the truck level and set at the 2” lift position. 

I also installed Cognito tubular upper control arms. I was thinking about lifting in the future, so it made sense to install at the same time. I ditched the  275/65/18 DuraTrac tires and got 295/70/18 Atturo Trail Blade XT (I’d be happy to give initial thoughts on these tires,

I have about 1,000 miles on them now). They are about a 34.5” tire but only about 11.5” wide. Separate topic of course. 

These shocks have GREATLY improved the ride quality of the truck on both street and highway. I would highly recommend these shocks if you are in the market. Best bang for the buck. 

I have driven about 1,000 miles of combined city/highway and they are worth every penny. Even my wife has noticed how much smoother it drives. 

If  you have any questions about the shocks or tires I’m here to help! 

5F6F7B7B-4AB7-451D-B688-9B9D510E1720.jpeg

• Like 3

I have changed out to 5100's in all of my past vehicles and I have always noticed a big improvement in ride. I have no complaints on my current ride on my 19 HC after the Rough Country rear shocks that were installed with my lift. Once they go I'll be doing the 5100's.

12 hours ago, lapoolboy said:

Hard to tell if it's more shock or more tire since you installed them at the same time.

Good point. It could be a combo of the two. I think it’s mainly the shocks though since the tires are rated LT, and filled to about 50 psi. 

3 minutes ago, eppieguy said:

I have changed out to 5100's in all of my past vehicles and I have always noticed a big improvement in ride. I have no complaints on my current ride on my 19 HC after the Rough Country rear shocks that were installed with my lift. Once they go I'll be doing the 5100's.

Did you go with the N3 or the monotube? 

2 minutes ago, CS25 said:

Did you go with the N3 or the monotube? 

That I'm unsure of as the last time I bought them was for my 2009 Tahoe, I'll assume Monotube. 

4 minutes ago, topgear1224 said:

Why so high?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Max is 80 psi. I could run them down a little but I load the bed often. Rides well, I’m actually surprised. They also make less noise than the duratracs I had too. 

13 minutes ago, ullose272 said:

So all you have is 2" front lift and you fit 295 70 18s?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

That is correct. I didn’t go with a 35x12.5R18 because I wasn’t sure if it was going to rub on the UCA and I didn’t want to trim anything. Turning lock to lock nothing touches. I think you could run a 35, it would just be SNUG. I am basing it off the UCA I have as well. 

I can update with pictures later. 

Edited by CS25
  • Like 1

Hey guys - I just got my 5100's (front and rear) today, pretty exited about getting them installed.   I noticed the front (24-309509) don't have rubber boots, and the rears appear to have a hard plastic cover vs a rubber boot.   just making sure they shipped the right parts.

3 hours ago, romclean1 said:

Hey guys - I just got my 5100's (front and rear) today, pretty exited about getting them installed.   I noticed the front (24-309509) don't have rubber boots, and the rears appear to have a hard plastic cover vs a rubber boot.   just making sure they shipped the right parts.

You have the correct parts. Fronts have the boot inside the spring. You won’t be disappointed. 

Install done, for sure an improvement.  Settles a bunch of the bunny hop tendencies and makes potholes more bearable.  Feels more planted on corners for sure.  The ultimate test for me is the highway road-to-bridge seam, on a curve.  That's usually where it feels a bit dicey.  set to 1.1 setting in the front and it's leveled out nicely.   Really happy with how this turned out, thinking about putting 35"s on these wheels now.

594718024_ScreenShot2020-08-15at9_17_06PM.thumb.png.3b6812f77c8554c950e809b5b4d64edd.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1