Bilstein 5100s are a HUGE upgrade!

21 minutes ago, batman900 said:

I feel like your the right guy to ask these questions lol. If I only did the rear, will it end up feeling like a Pogo stick? Like .... the front will bounce but the rear will be stable? Or does it give the whole vehicle more balance? Thanks a bunch

Edit. Meant rear. If I only did the rear shocks. Accidentally said front.

I’m no expert. I did the rears first because it was easy to do myself and pretty cheap. No it’s not like a pogo stick at all. The front doesn’t bounce nearly as much as the rear, I assume due to all the engine/etc weight plus the people in the cab. The rear bounced so much because it’s empty. I could easily drive the truck like this for good. I just want the fronts done because I like a firmer ride. If you have even ever noticed the rear bounce and thought you didn’t like it, buy these shocks and put them in. It’s a no brainer. Just putting the rears in, is an improvement no doubt. Doing fronts and rears would just be icing on the cake. 

Edited by Mike Borowski
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mike Borowski said:

I’m no expert. I did the rears first because it was easy to do myself and pretty cheap. No it’s not like a pogo stick at all. The front doesn’t bounce nearly as much as the rear, I assume due to all the engine/etc weight plus the people in the cab. The rear bounced so much because it’s empty. I could easily drive the truck like this for good. I just want the fronts done because I like a firmer ride. If you have even ever noticed the rear bounce and thought you didn’t like it, buy these shocks and put them in. It’s a no brainer. Just putting the rears in, is an improvement no doubt. Doing fronts and rears would just be icing on the cake. 

Thanks a bunch, putting my order in.

My wife rode in my truck yesterday for the first time since I had the 5100's installed and within two miles she said your truck rides much better than it use to. Now she wants them on her truck.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, batman900 said:

Yep, the basics. I mod everything I buy but I'm not super brave so I'd never do the front shocks. 

Haha me either. With the rears the only tips I have are to install with the logo right side up so you can read it looking at it. So the boot guards are UP. 

The other thing is that they come with belts so they are compressed out of the box which you leave on until you install, but they weren’t compressed enough. I didn’t jack the truck up I just crawled under, bolted the top on, used my jack to compress the shock, line it up and bolt the bottom.

Let me know how it goes. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hunter11 said:

My wife rode in my truck yesterday for the first time since I had the 5100's installed and within two miles she said your truck rides much better than it use to. Now she wants them on her truck.

Haha yep. My wife noticed too. She hated that she couldn’t put her makeup on in the truck. “It seems so much smoother now”. 

So has anyone put on the Bilstein 5100's that didnt like them?  I just bought 2020 AT4 but dont like how bouncy the truck rides down the highway.  I want to improve ride comfort.  I want to order rears first.  Part numbers a little confusing  2x24-309516_n1.....correct? Any other recommendations let me know.  Cheapest I could find is $94 each.  Anyone seen them cheaper?

Thanks.

First off the Bilstein 5100 is a different digressive shock but still digressive. Horribly front loaded dampening. So can that be an improvement. Sure. Like a little less painful is better than really painful. For some that might feel like a major improvement. Kind of like Novocaine is better than clove oil for a tooth ache but not as good as a tooth repair. 

Shock manufactures follow trends and the trend is not progressively valve shocks for trucks. King and Fox do offer linear valving stock which is a huge step forward. 

Digressive shocks have a boat load of dampening in compression Why? Tow Haul. Well and the thing sits so high now that a progressive shock might land it on it's lid IF and it's a big IF....it lacked enough sway bar. 

Two schools. Stiff springs, digressive shocks and small bars to control roll OR......Soft springs, progressive shocks and HUGE bars to control roll. 

Problem with plan one is......the tire doesn't stay on the ground in the ruff stuff. Can't brake, poor on the power or change directions. UNLESS the track is picture book smooth. Ever seen that on an American highway? 

Just say' n. IMHO. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 1

As much as I hate them, these trucks sould really have variable springs. But then they would "squat too much" with a load.

I drove our 200k 1995 f150 today. It rides well, not because the suspension design is good, but because the 15 inch wheels REALLY softened the bumps.

and when the suspension did move it felt natural. Yes it has a super flexy frame so the front and rear feels like they are from 2 different cars, but aside from that I was shocked at the ride quality difference.

This is the first time I have taken it on my normal commute. Kinda jealous of the spouse now.[emoji23]

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Has any one who had non-Rancho OEM shocks felt a huge improvement in ride quality after switching to Bilstein 5100 rear shocks (part# 24-293471) only? I am quite new to this forum and don't know exactly which trims have Rancho shocks and which trims not. I have already asked a similar question in another thread, but still cannot decide because some said not much difference unless you have Rancho shocks, but others said no matter which trim there is a HUGE... I am happy with current ride quality except for some bouncy in rear especially on highway and bumpy roads. My wife and kids complain of "car sickness" If yes but not noticeable, I would definitely stay with current OEM shocks. Mine is 2019 WT crew cab 4x4 short box 17-inch wheels. 50% highways, 50% locals, never towed, barely put some loads on the bed. Thank you.       

Edited by Interleukin6

12 hours ago, Interleukin6 said:

Has any one who had non-Rancho OEM shocks felt a huge improvement in ride quality after switching to Bilstein 5100 rear shocks (part# 24-293471) only? I am quite new to this forum and don't know exactly which trims have Rancho shocks and which trims not. I have already asked a similar question in another thread, but still cannot decide because some said not much difference unless you have Rancho shocks, but others said no matter which trim there is a HUGE... I am happy with current ride quality except for some bouncy in rear especially on highway and bumpy roads. My wife and kids complain of "car sickness" If yes but not noticeable, I would definitely stay with current OEM shocks. Mine is 2019 WT crew cab 4x4 short box 17-inch wheels. 50% highways, 50% locals, never towed, barely put some loads on the bed. Thank you.       

They’re ALL Ranchos from the factory.  Trail Boss/AT4 trucks come with a slightly better Rancho that is a monotube design.  The 5100 rears will be a good improvement to reduce the back hop.  It’s still a truck though, never gonna ride like a minivan. 

• Like 1

Hi, I just ordered the Bilstein 5100 #24-293471 for my 2019 Silverado 1500 4x4 LTZ 6.2L.  I need some help with install questions, since it's been many years that I've installed rear shocks. Trying to see if I can do it myself.

I also have a 2" lift kit on the front will these work, rear is stock height?

Which way does the boot go...top or bottom?

From what I read, I do not need to lift my truck...correct?

Do I need a torque wrench to install the rear shocks, if so what foot pounds for the top bolt and for the bottom bolt?

Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks, Jerry

Edited by Lyons00

1 hour ago, Lyons00 said:

Hi, I just ordered the Bilstein 5100 #24-293471 for my 2019 Silverado 1500 4x4 LTZ 6.2L.  I need some help with install questions, since it's been many years that I've installed rear shocks. Trying to see if I can do it myself.

I also have a 2" lift kit on the front will these work, rear is stock height?

Which way does the boot go...top or bottom?

From what I read, I do not need to lift my truck...correct?

Do I need a torque wrench to install the rear shocks, if so what foot pounds for the top bolt and for the bottom bolt?

Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks, Jerry

I didn’t use a lift. I crawled under. But I had to use a lift to compress them to bolt the bottoms. The boot goes on the TOP. The sticker should be able to be read. I didn’t use a torque wrench. Just tightened tight. 

18 minutes ago, Mike Borowski said:

I didn’t use a lift. I crawled under. But I had to use a lift to compress them to bolt the bottoms. The boot goes on the TOP. The sticker should be able to be read. I didn’t use a torque wrench. Just tightened tight. 

Thank you so much!!

I would need floor jack than to install the bottom bolts?

Thanks, Jerry

Edited by Lyons00