Ultraterrain or BFG KO2

Ordering new shoes this week.  Can't decide between the Ultraterrain in 275/60 or the BFG in the same size.  BFG comes in Load range D, which I like since I do air down and trailer at least a few times a month.

Haven't had BFG's in 15 years.  Are they still the "go to" for A/T's or should I roll with the Ultraterrains?

1 hour ago, thegrizz said:

Ordering new shoes this week.  Can't decide between the Ultraterrain in 275/60 or the BFG in the same size.  BFG comes in Load range D, which I like since I do air down and trailer at least a few times a month.

Haven't had BFG's in 15 years.  Are they still the "go to" for A/T's or should I roll with the Ultraterrains?

Switch it up and go for the Falken Wildpeak AT3W.  I promise you will be thoroughly impressed with it. 

Had a set on my old 2014 for 66k, probably would have made it to 70k.  Great tire, loved them.  I will be putting a set on my 2020 when the stock tires wear out. 

• Like 1

They aren't the "go to" for performance, mainly just looks and the highest price. Many other better options out there that perform better for a more reasonable price. I have heard mostly nothing but good things about the Falken's. Coopers are another top rated and american made tire, take a look at the AT3 LT.

That is the first I am seeing the ultraterrain's, they have a promising look to them. I will have to check out some reviews and what size options they come in. 

Tyler

• Like 1

17 hours ago, swathdiver said:

How come?

Because they are a soft tire. The tread depth on a KO2's is very deep and the first half of the tire will wear off really fast from towing heavy weights and tire scrubbing. Then they turn into a hockey puck past half tread.

I went with the KO2’s and they look and feel great. I love the stiffness of the D load range.

However, I am thinking about going to Ultraterrains. Just in town I went from 23-34 mpg to 18-19.  I know most of you would not care, but I Drive 45,000 miles a year and that adds up. 

Not a fan of the 2 ply sidewall on the UT’s but the only off-roading I do is sand and maintained hunting paths. 

On 10/7/2020 at 5:53 PM, CamGTP said:

Because they are a soft tire. The tread depth on a KO2's is very deep and the first half of the tire will wear off really fast from towing heavy weights and tire scrubbing. Then they turn into a hockey puck past half tread.

That's about been my experience with them.  Down to 6/32 at almost 50K (ran them too low in the beginning) and don't like them at high speed (70 MPH+) in the rain anymore.    

Today’s tires are nothing like they were back in the days when BFG’s ruled. Today, you’ll have many OffRoad capable tires and then some. I love my KO2’s but they’re not for everyone as they’re on the top premium in price but do have the performance that make “Me” happy. Again, there are plenty of tire manufacturers that have done pretty great reviews on them. The Goodyear Ultras are made for Discount Tire. I’d seriously take your time and research multiple websites as what’s good for some aren’t for many. If sidewall I’d important to you then nothing beats a D rated tire in that department as I hunt OffRoad ALL THE TIME, crushing timber, mud, sand, all sorts of terrain and zero issues with them.

I’d highly recommend sticking with MADE IN THE USA [emoji631] as many manufacturers have bad QC issues.

Yokohama Geolander
General Grabber
Falken Wildpeaks
Cooper Discovery

Just to name a few. I’d be wary of Nittos and Toyos as they’re great tires when new but suck after a years wear on them cause their sipings are after thoughts, meaning they don’t have deep siping like some of the others causing you to slide in the rain as I did with two separate sets of Nitto Ridge Grapplers.

Add the extra replacement warranty too, you’ll be glad you did.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

The KO2 has slightly better braking and traction than the Wrangler UltraTerrain AT on gravel, even on sand, but the K02 is more susceptible to freezing up in winter. So, UltraTerrain is the better choice for wet or snow tires, and KO2 is the winner between Goodyear Wrangler UltraTerrain AT and BFG KO2 for off-road performance.

Edited by lakinzo