GMC Remote access, yay or nay?

ero2

As a new GMC owner, I used it for the first 30 days and thought "this is cool", but not having feedback showing that it's running, or it locked, other than "command succeeded" makes me wonder if it's worth the cost.  Do you use it?  Is It worth the $120 a year to you?

Just wondering if I missed any helpful features that may make it better than what I tried out.

Thanks!

When I had it for 5 years for FREE on my last 3 GMC trucks I loved it.  Then I traded my 2018 in for my high country and you only get to use the App for 30 days!!  I was p!ss$d. 
I couldn’t believe GM did that to there customers. I have gone 6 months now without it and can say it’s not worth $120 a year. If they gave it to me for $5 a month like Sirius Xm does for me then I’d do it. 

• Like 2

As someone who used to travel every week (thanks Rona) it's worth it for me as I used to start the truck when I landed so by the time I got out of the airport the truck was ready to go. Since I haven't been traveling I have no clue the last time I even opened the app.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I use it on my 2019 LD, and have used it in my last 2 trucks.  Its nice, it was nicer when it was free or if it were cheaper. 

I do like that its easier to send Turn-by-Turn or full nav directions (if you have factory nav) right to the truck instead of having to call onstar or sit there and type in or voice command the nav system in the truck.    

Edited by newdude

I had the five years for free on my 17.  Great for starting the truck from a distance to get it warm when you get too it.  The range on the fob doesn't reach very far.

That said I'm not paying for it on the new 2020.  Will see how much I miss it this winter after skiing all day.

I subscribed to it...I often forget to lock the doors for the night so I'll lock the truck from my phone while in bed.

I've also used the navigation send-to-vehicle function a few times which is convenient sometimes while pre-planning for a trip.

I agree that it is way too expensive for what you get...

Agreed. It's ridiculous that they only give you a 30-day trial, which is the shortest I've seen from any manufacture. Heck, I won't pay for it out of principle alone. The full connected services should be included for 3-5 years, if not longer. The safety and security plan could be useful on a long trip, but that's still too much. 

Sending a message to GM/OnStar aside, I think most folks will still find it overpriced unless they rely on it every day. But as usual, only you can decide if the features are "worth it."

Bought the truck end of July and we have already saved ourselves from having to call a tow company when we locked ourselves out while being out of town. Simply used our cellphone to unlock the doors. Haven't used the remote start through the app yet aside from just testing it out, but I can see it coming in handy in our cold Canadian winters when we want to start the truck from ranges that the key fob simply can't reach. Oh and like the other guy said, I love checking the vehicle status information. Totally worth it for me. 

It depends on how you use your truck.  Yes, it is nice to be able to remote start it from anywhere with cel services since factory remote starters don't work inside buildings like hockey arenas, stadiums, etc.  It's nice to see your trucks oil life, tire pressure, etc, get navigation routes sent to your truck before you even get into the truck, etc.

But if you tow, and your truck has the advanced trailering app, the remote access brings a couple nice touches. First, you can start the trailer light test from the app when you are standing behind the trailer. Second, if you are staying overnight somewhere, and someone goes to steal the trailer, as soon as the wiring plug is disconnected from your truck, you can set up the app so it texts your phone immediately to warn you someone is trying to steal your trailer.  If you don't have the remote access plan, then the truck will set off the horns and lights, but you have to be within hearing range and realize it's your truck.

If you had the remote access on a previous truck, you can sometimes complain to the onstar rep, say you'd take it for $5/mth, and they will sometimes come back with a reduced offer. Here in Canada, I know people paying around the $7-8/mth for it if they had the remote access for 5 yrs free on their previous vehicle.  Also, if you pay for the entire year or two (whatever your contract is for), they give you some months free. Example, if you buy a 12 month plan and pay for it all at once instead of monthly, you pay for 10 mths and get 12 (so 2 mths for free).

• 3 weeks later...

If you don't want it don't buy it.

Cost used to be shared by all that bought vehicles.

Now it's paid by those that want the system.

I also don't like that its no longer a buried cost -- but the amount is insignificant compared to the rest of the costs of ownership.