Autotrac transfer case vs regular

I dont know if there is a mechanical or strength difference. I am in the market for a 2020+ GM HD so I'm wondering the same thing. I have the auto4x4 in my 1500 Sierra and I use it all the time. Its really nice if you live in an area where road conditions vary. Colorado high country is a good example. 

I've had several 2500 and 3500 GM trucks since 2005.  Personally, I prefer the AutoTrac transfer case.  The 2020 GMC Sierra HD Denali that I currently own has it and it is the first 2500 I've owned that has it.  I have no information if it is more reliable or rugged than the regular four wheel drive transfer case, but I know that I don't like the "bucking" that occurs when turning the steering wheel when in four wheel drive with the old transfer case.

Edited by Thankful
Correct

I would bet strength wise they are equal

the newer versions offering AUTO are nice as stated for general driving in varying conditions with no front tires fighting each other on tight turns with somewhat snowy / less snowy roads, and having the option of full 4WD for constant snow plowing ...

I've had 3 HD's 2004/2011/2015 all with electric shift (all bought new & used by me for over 100,000 miles) and have never had a failure

I believe in AUTO mode the truck is just rear wheel drive and as rear slippage is sensed the fronts smoothly engage as needed - thats how my 2007 Avalanche worked - I liked it

30 years ago I'd say there were issues with the Electric, but now all mine have been flawless

some general info I found

https://tnttransfercase.com/general-motors-transfer-cases/

One advantage of Autotrac is not having to worry about forgetting to take the truck out of 4WD.  Leaving the system on won't damage anything whereas leaving 4WD engaged could potentially snap and axle or damage the transfer case itself if driving on a hard, dry surface.  that's an extreme example but it does happen occasionally.

Seems to be some confusion about the different transfer cases. 

The older transfer case with the floor shift.

The version with the knob controlled electronic shifter that has been available for a bunch of years now.

The 'autotrac' box, which is new on HD's starting in 2020, although 1500's have had an autotrac box for a number of years. 

Autotrac has the additional mode where the truck decides when it should engage the transfer case. 

These two have been in use for a number of years:

NQG    Transfer case, with floor-mounted shifter
NQF    Transfer case, electronic shift with rotary dial controls 

Starting in 2020 we have modified controls on NFQ, and NQH Autotrac has been added.   NQG Floor shifter gone. 

NQF    Transfer case, two-speed, electronic shift with push button controls
NQH       NEW!  Transfer case, two-speed active, electronic Autotrac with push button control

Edited by redwngr
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, redwngr said:

Seems to be some confusion about the different transfer cases. 

The older transfer case with the floor shift.

The version with the knob controlled electronic shifter that has been available for a bunch of years now.

The 'autotrac' box, which is new on HD's starting in 2020, although 1500's have had an autotrac box for a number of years. 

Autotrac has the additional mode where the truck decides when it should engage the transfer case. 

These two have been in use for a number of years:

NQG    Transfer case, with floor-mounted shifter
NQF    Transfer case, electronic shift with rotary dial controls 

Starting in 2020 we have modified controls on NFQ, and NQH Autotrac has been added.   NQG Floor shifter gone. 

NQF    Transfer case, two-speed, electronic shift with push button controls
NQH       NEW!  Transfer case, two-speed active, electronic Autotrac with push button control

No confusion here. I know the floor shift is gone.

All I'm trying to figure out is if the ONLY difference is the fact the Autotrac has the extra 4A setting along with the electric motor that can allow varying degrees of clutch pack engagement. 

I would assume they wouldn't use 2 different transfer cases. One with a solid gear hookup, ans one with clutch pack engagement 

https://gm-techlink.com/?p=11710

Welcome addition to the HD models.  I hope Ford and Dodge follow.  The 1/2 ton rams use the same 1500 GM autotrac tcase in some models.  I like the GM offers the autotrac historically even on the LT 1/2 tons vs Ford (late to the game, offer only on lariat+, and still using vacuum hubs?).

Should be reliable, assuming you're not plowing with it in 4auto, but fine for daily driving.

Edited by sabre364

GM has had the Autotrac version on the 1500's for a bunch of years.

It's new to the HDs for 2020. 

On current HD's, the LT and SLE are the only trims that can have either box.

Lower only get the NQF, higher only get the NQH

FWIW, the 1500's now have an autotrac box that doesn't have 4Lo as std on lower trims.

NP0    Transfer case, single speed, electronic Autotrac with push button control (4WD models only)

Edited by redwngr