Improving turning radius

Hey folks

Upgraded from a 1500 and absolutely love the truck, but holy hell the turn radius is a huge difference! Getting through tight crowded parking lots has me questioning wether to ever attempt to get through a fast food drive through lol

Is there anything that I can do to improve the turning radius? Or does it just take getting used to?

On 11/24/2020 at 4:30 PM, Arkangel said:

Hey folks

Upgraded from a 1500 and absolutely love the truck, but holy hell the turn radius is a huge difference! Getting through tight crowded parking lots has me questioning wether to ever attempt to get through a fast food drive through lol

Is there anything that I can do to improve the turning radius? Or does it just take getting used to?

There is a burger king by me that has a curb around the drive through and my wife loves oreo milkshakes so we go there every once and a while.  I have learned that I have to just drive straight into the curb and I don't turn until I'm up on top.  You will eventually learn how to deal with tight spaces with the gigantic trucks, it just takes a little while.

LOL I drive on the curbs to get into many places, it's that or like a 3-5 point turn - the tall side wall tires protect the rim/mag from damage - so far

Makes sense that the longer the truck the worse it turns - the ancient 2002 +-  ? with 4 wheel steer were very popular for that reason +-

i too came from a 1500....a dbl cab RST to crew cab 2500 std box....the box is 3 or 4 inches longer and cab probably 10 inches or more......have an el pollo loco (only fast food joint close by) that my 1500 barely made and wont attempt it with 2500....but yeah you learn what you can and cant do.....flipping u turns is another one....even on bigger streets i cant make it from left turn lane i have to use fast lane if no traffic.....i alter my routes a bit to certain places but humans are incredible at adapting to various things

it is what it is.....and while a con in one area a total plus in another so.....steering isnt same either, little more vague and cpl other things as well.....its not just 1500 with stiffer springs its whole different truck altogether......feel nothing alike in any area except the interior which is exactly the same

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have turning data on the early 2000's (the GMT 800 generation chassis).

The 1500 frame changed for start of GMT900 program (2006ish) but the HD frame did not.

However, in 2011, the HD frame and chassis was completely updated (even though the body/interior was the same between 10 and 11). 

The frame/chassis stayed the same from 11 thru 19, even though the body changed half way through that period.

The 2020 HD is all new.

Everything, except the engine -- and it has some external changes -- oil cooler and the huge updates to the cooling system.

2020HD crew standard turning circle is 52.7ft, wheelbase 158.9" (OAL  250.1)

2019HD crew standard turning circle is 51.5ft, wheelbase  153.7: (OAL 239.5)

2020 1500 crew standard (on 20" or 22") 50.2ft. 156.98"   (OAL 241.25)

2020 1500 crew short (on 20" or 22") 46.9ft, 147.43" (OAL 231.7")

1500 turning circles on smaller wheel diameters are about a half a foot less.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

yes quite a few places i have to avoid in so cal but i dont mind really.......park and go inside isnt really that big a deal and usually its faster here .....our drive thrus are packed especially IN n OUT