2016 -> 2020?

acc412

Good evening all,

Hope everyone had a good thanksgiving and a safe one. 

I currently have a 2016 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT A/T 5.3 4x4 with 71,****** on it. A few "dealer"ships have caught my eye on some 2020s and I wanted to see what you guys have to say about them. 

I still owe around $10G on my truck but have gotten some good trade offers on it around $31G. 

Is it worth it to trade in right now or hold off until a new generation comes out?

I would only trade in for a 6.2 & 10 speed combo.

I'm in a similar boat with my 2019LD.  I love my K2 & even though trade in values are high; I gotta believe the same deal I got cannot be had right now with the limited supply.  So get more for trade in, but pay more for new.

Now if I didn't like my K2.....that's a whole different set of constraints....

• Like 1

I agree with you. The only think that sucks with a trade in is paying to do it all over again.

Aka: Wheels & Tires, Bilstein 5100s, tint, air intake, BBP tune, etc.

I might just end up keeping mine because its truly mine now.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, acc412 said:
Good evening all,

Hope everyone had a good thanksgiving and a safe one. 
I currently have a 2016 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT A/T 5.3 4x4 with 71,****** on it. A few "dealer"ships have caught my eye on some 2020s and I wanted to see what you guys have to say about them. 
I still owe around $10G on my truck but have gotten some good trade offers on it around $31G. 
Is it worth it to trade in right now or hold off until a new generation comes out?

Personally I’d wait. New interior in 2022 models. Most likely slightly refreshed front and rear clip as well.

Your truck will be worth a bit less the longer you wait but I’d say it’s well worth it since 2022 models will be released late spring / early summer 2021.

Used vehicle values are high during this pandemic which will be with us for awhile longer.

Edited by 2018GMC
  • Like 1

Well if a tune is make or break, be aware it’s a very expensive proposition on the T1s with the need for an unlocked ECM. I also would not be in a hurry to void the powertrain warranty on these trucks.

Wait another year, pay that thing off and look at the 2022s. 

All depends on what you want and what’s important, if you dislike the current GM interiors then I’d wait. If you can live with it or if it’s not important you can pick up some really good deals right now. Trade in values right now are up 14% on avg. 

Dealers are willing to wheel and deal to keep profits rolling I f your worried about payments and taxes you could always lease it and then buy it out whenever or give it back in three years, choices are endless. 

this is not an economy to take on new payments.... insurance and taxes are way higher on '20s too.... imo.

My insurance went up $50 A year on my 2020 RST CC vs my 2016 LT DC.

Agree on the payments though I had bought my 16 used off the lease so I still had a long way to go on payments.

My main reason for updating was the addition of a baby to the mix I needed a bigger cab for her obnoxiously huge car seat. If the 16 had been a CC it would still be in the garage. IMO the T1 is a good design but, the K2 was a great design, mostly from an interior layout standpoint. Drivability is better on the T1 mostly because the 6 speed I had in the 16 was a dog of a transmission. I’m liking my 2020 more and more but, my main gripe is driver comfort just isn’t as good on the T1 at least for me. If someone offered to straight trade me for a 2018 with the 8 speed and low miles it’d be hard to say no.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wouldn't take for my 2018 SLT...  Mine was built in Dec 2018.. so it was one of the last off the line. I had an aluminum F150 ecopoop.. puking oil through four oil pans... you get a good running machine... hold on to it.. you just never know whether you will keep the reliability that you have now... That said... every man has to call it the way he sees it!!!

Best regards

If you are are satisfied with the performance of a stock truck think about getting a new one. If you like to tinker and mod keep the older one.

GM is making it more and more difficult and expense to mod each generation of truck. One of the major players in the tuning market gave up after trying to tune a 2021 Tahoe. The trucks won't be far behind.

https://www.gm-trucks.com/hennessey-performance-cant-tune-the-2021-chevy-tahoe-and-the-reason-why-will-infuriate-you/

I traded my 2017 in on my 2020 and I'm thrilled with it. But, my 2017 was paid off and I moved to the 6.2/10spd combo. I wouldn't have traded for the 5.3/8spd. At this point in the game I would probably wait and see what the 2022 has to offer. A new interior, updated front and rear, and probably IRS are on the way for next year. 

58 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

No IRS thankfully. All test mules including a High Country have had a solid axle. There would have been something captured by now if it was in the cards for the next model year.

Interesting. I assumed they would make the move since the SUV triplets did.