Consumer Report - Least reliable vehicle

Jason_

3 hours ago, BigMick2020 said:

2020 RST CC here with absolutely zero problems. 

Never been back to the dealer since the day I signed the paperwork.......no regrets, most reliable out of the box vehicle I've ever purchased. 

CR is been a rag magazine for years.....wouldn't trust it one bit. 

If the Silverado is such a POS why are they selling almost 600K of these a year? 

How does this make any sense.....

2019 and 2020

14 minutes ago, Sjordan said:

2019 and 2020

Then they should list it as reliability issues on 2019 or 2020.....not 2021. 

Supposed to be based on data, not guesswork for the future. 

No credibility IMHO or based on my vehicle. 

Edited by BigMick2020

3 hours ago, BossTaco2020 said:

Damn, I bought my first Chevy truck ever in my life and it gets rated as least reliable. Guess I should have held on to my Tacoma then... ? Nah who am I kidding, I hated that truck.

Interesting.. the Toyota boys seem to have a cult following.  What did you dislike?

I don't let anything non-american in my driveway, but just curious :)

12 minutes ago, BigMick2020 said:

Then they should list it as reliability issues on 2019 or 2020.....not 2021. 

Supposed to be based on data, not guesswork for the future. 

No credibility IMHO or based on my vehicle. 

To be fair they do say "Predicted reliability score," but I agree.  CR reviews have no affect on my decisions to purchase anything.

Just now, Rob Mugs said:

Interesting.. the Toyota boys seem to have a cult following.  What did you dislike?

Tundras are towards the top of the list as "most American truck" if not at the top of the list for full size trucks based on where labor and parts are sourced rather than who owns the brand.

Just now, Sjordan said:

Tundras are towards the top of the list as "most American truck" if not at the top of the list for full size trucks based on where labor and parts are sourced rather than who owns the brand.

Yep.. profits still end up overseas while they save tons on import tax

15 minutes ago, Sjordan said:

Profits to the upper management maybe, wages for middle class stay here (workers in parts manufacturing, assembly, etc).

Oh yeah.. it's a win-win for both parties.  They save on tax, we get jobs.  Just saying the profits at the C level are .. not here :)

23 minutes ago, Rob Mugs said:

I didn't have any real problems with it. It was just small, uncomfortable, slow, and felt ancient. Gas mileage sucked although I do tend to have a lead foot. The factory shocks were garbage, even if they were Bilsteins. They were just the smallest ones you could possible fit in a vehicle. As such it floated and bounced a lot and never really felt planted. I was able to bottom them out just going over a dip in the road at speed (45-50mph). My Lexus RX350 (with the same engine as the taco) has a much better suspension and just squats and absorbs it and keeps going. Same with my TrailBoss, although not as firm as my Lexus.

edit: Those are the reasons I hated my Taco. My TrailBoss is so much better in all of the ways. It's bigger, more comfortable, fast (even with the 5.3), and the thing feels planted and less bouncy. Although my next upgrade will be to put some Bilstein 5100's (rear) and 6112's (front) at some point. I enjoy driving my truck again.

Edited by BossTaco2020

49 minutes ago, BossTaco2020 said:

I didn't have any real problems with it. It was just small, uncomfortable, slow, and felt ancient. Gas mileage sucked although I do tend to have a lead foot. The factory shocks were garbage, even if they were Bilsteins. They were just the smallest ones you could possible fit in a vehicle. As such it floated and bounced a lot and never really felt planted. I was able to bottom them out just going over a dip in the road at speed (45-50mph). My Lexus RX350 (with the same engine as the taco) has a much better suspension and just squats and absorbs it and keeps going. Same with my TrailBoss, although not as firm as my Lexus.

edit: Those are the reasons I hated my Taco. My TrailBoss is so much better in all of the ways. It's bigger, more comfortable, fast (even with the 5.3), and the thing feels planted and less bouncy. Although my next upgrade will be to put some Bilstein 5100's (rear) and 6112's (front) at some point. I enjoy driving my truck again.

I was honestly shocked when I heard about the fuel mileage.  Neighbor was telling me about his Tundra with 400 whatever HP.  I'm like, "what's it get?  20?  25 on the highway?  It's a Toyota!

13 or so

31 minutes ago, Rob Mugs said:

I was honestly shocked when I heard about the fuel mileage.  Neighbor was telling me about his Tundra with 400 whatever HP.  I'm like, "what's it get?  20?  25 on the highway?  It's a Toyota!

13 or so

Yeah I know! Almost bought a Tundra but then saw that gas mileage and that ancient 6 speed transmission, yikes! It's a decent truck though, even if a little outdated. The Toyota fanboys will say that is why it's so reliable. Maybe, but I love this 10 speed transmission in my truck and wouldn't trade it for anything...

CR definitely seems to be fanboys of their favorite brands.   For years,  they worshipped at the Toyota altar.  Now they love all things Subaru.  And Conti tires, which have sucked donkey on our fleet cars.  And they'd rank a Flintstones car with stone wheels higher than anything with a Jeep label, for some strange reason.  

Our family has subscribed to CR print or online for the last 25 years, but increasingly I find myself reading their rankings, shaking my head, and then going to purchase what I want as opposed to what their picks say.     

3 hours ago, Moend said:

So I also watched the guy that review trucks and SUV on YouTube about this topic and he said it might not be completely accurate because they don't review every single model, he also proceeded to say it is mainly because of the 8speed 5.3 with DFM – interestingly enough that is what I have and have not had a single issue with the engine or transmission 27k miles so far. I had few hiccups tho: weird noise from the front suspension that is gone on its own after 20k miles, either a bolt rattled its way out or other interior noises are masking the noise coming from the suspension either way it’s gone. Back up camera was blindingly bright at night that got fixed with a visit to the dealership. Other than that, I really like the truck and think it is best looking 1/2ton you can buy today, maybe the interior is not that pretty, but it is functional and not offensive. I don’t have the sliding rear window and that seems to be the hot topic now – so yeah have not experience the leaking rear window issue.

All in all I don’t care what the report say and I try to take people complaint on the forum with a grain of salt, after all usually people comes to the forum to look for issue or write about one so yeah it is going to be full of bad stuff.

Any idea what they do to fix it? Also what did you tell them to get them to work on in?  I'm at 14k on my 19 LTZ and I'm having the same issue with the screen being too bright when back up cam is on.