Oil pump solenoid necessary to replace?

2015 Silverado 4.3L v6 WT 120,000 mi. PO had a code indicating oil pressure switch, which was leaking, and had one in the truck. Upon replacement mechanic says p06dd is now showing. Oil change at the same time as replacement. Truck indicates oil pressure. Cold idle 60, warm drops to 40 at idle, under 40 in park, 50 underway as high as 70 under acceleration. 2 mechanics say not to worry as there is good pressure. 

Is the solenoid something to worry about in the v6? 

Edited by Robert Tyler
Misspelling

Silveradosid you are correct. seems like probably a $1200-$2000 job, though. Anyone had this work done on a 4.3L? Wondering what is the cost. I'm going to try a flush and oil change back to oem oil and filter. Currently Mobile 1 with NAPA gold filter, but it seems the solenoid is the most likely culprit. Maybe a cheapo bluetooth code reader to look for additional codes.

It needs an oil pump to fix it for certain.  Oil flush won't fix an electrical problem. 

If your state does emissions inspections, you will fail if you leave it alone as your engine light will be on and the code stored.   

Edited by newdude

I had read in some other threads that these vehicles were sensitive to oil and filter, ie. Bad or incorrect filter or non synthetic oil or wrong oil weight could cause this particular code. As truck is new to me seemed worth a shot as a flush and extra oil change won't hurt. If solenoid is only stuck or filter bad is a longshot but might as well before considering expensive repair.

Louisiana does not do an emissions test. It's called a brake tag, they check all lights, horn and whether the wipers wipe. Mostly just a tax. 

2 hours ago, Robert Tyler said:

I had read in some other threads that these vehicles were sensitive to oil and filter, ie. Bad or incorrect filter or non synthetic oil or wrong oil weight could cause this particular code. As truck is new to me seemed worth a shot as a flush and extra oil change won't hurt. If solenoid is only stuck or filter bad is a longshot but might as well before considering expensive repair.

Louisiana does not do an emissions test. It's called a brake tag, they check all lights, horn and whether the wipers wipe. Mostly just a tax. 

That P06DD is pretty much a death knell to the pump.  Typically its either max pressure or no oil pressure at all.  It could not just be the solenoid either, there could be pump damage internal or external.  See below:

#PIP5308B: SES Light P0521 P06DD And Low Oil Pressure - (Jan 15, 2018)
Subject:  SES Light P0521 P06DD And Low Oil Pressure

999999995.gif

Brand:

Model:

Model Year:

VIN:

Engine:

Transmission:

from

to

from

to

Cadillac

Escalade

2015-2018

All

All

6.2L L86

All

Chevrolet

Silverado

2014-2018

All

All

4.3L LV3 5.3L L83 6.2L L86

All

Chevrolet

Suburban

2015-2018

All

All

5.3L L83

All

Chevrolet

Tahoe

2015-2018

All

All

5.3L L83

All

GMC

Sierra

2014-2018

All

All

All

GMC

Yukon

2015-2018

All

All

5.3L L83 6.2L L86

All

GMC

Yukon XL

2015-2018

All

All

5.3L L83 6.2L L86

All

Supersession Statement:

This PI was superseded to update Model Years. Please discard PIP5308A.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern

Some customers may comment on an SES light DTC's.

Recommendation/Instructions

The following should be considered if SI diagnostics has led to an oil pump replacement due to a broken slide:

The oil pump should be replaced.

Remove baffle from the oil pan and shake out any oil pump vanes and other material in pick up tube and oil pan assembly. 

If excessive metal debris (dark gray in color)  is found, the main and rod bearings should be inspected before engine replacement is considered.

If an indication of bearing wear is found, the crankshaft and bearings can be serviced with the oil pump if needed.  

Note: Engine replacement should only occur if there is block damage or excessive debris in the oil passages that can not be thoroughly cleaned out. 

#PIP5407B: Code P06DD No Or Low Oil Pressure - (Sep 30, 2019)
Subject:  Code P06DD No Or Low Oil Pressure 999999995.gif

Brand:

Model:

Model Year:

VIN:

Engine:

Transmission:

from

to

from

to

Cadillac

CTS-V

2016-2019

All

All

6.2L LT4

All

Cadillac

Escalade

2015-2019

All

All

6.2L L86

All

Chevrolet

Camaro

2016-2019

All

All

6.2L LT1 LT4

All

Chevrolet

Corvette

2014-2019

All

All

6.2L LT1 LT4

All

Chevrolet

Silverado

2014-2018

All

All

All

Chevrolet

Silverado LD

All

All

All

Chevrolet

Suburban

2015-2019

All

All

5.3L L83

All

Chevrolet

Tahoe

2015-2019

All

All

5.3L L83

All

GMC

Sierra

2014-2018

All

All

All

GMC

Sierra Limited

All

All

All

GMC

Yukon

2015-2019

All

All

5.3L L83 6.2L L86

All

GMC

Yukon XL

2015-2019

All

All

5.3L L83 6.2L L86

All

Supersession Statement

This PI Was Superseded To Update Labor Operation. Please Discard PIP5704A.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern

Vehicle setting code P06DD, no or low oil pressure, oil control valve may be stuck off commanding high oil pressures (95 psi) and or oil pump face may be damaged.

Recommendation/Instructions

Tensioner spring in timing chain guide may be “short” not fully seating into guide pivot end.

Cycling Oil Pump Control Valve will not cause changes in oil pump response.

1) Short spring not reaching the pivot

Also a broken tensioner shoe may allow the spring to rub a hole in the oil pump. 

The hole in the oil pump.

Replace timing chain tensioner guide.

If oil pump face is damaged and or worn thru replace oil pump.

Inspect bearings for damage wear due to debris from oil pump.

Hot oil pressure minimums.

22 psi @ 1,000 rpm

30 psi @ 2,000 rpm

33 psi @ 3,000 rpm

LV1, LV3, L83, L86 and L96.

Note these are minimums and actual pressures are normally higher. 22 psi is the minimum required to operate the AFM properly. FYI. My down the road pressure shows 38 on the dash but an test block shows 50. Matted the dash shows 70 the test block 87 psi. For your reference for the next paragraph. 

These pressures are checked with a test block and mechanical gauge at the filter. The instrument in your dash is not accurate but is directionally correct. Shortly after a new key cycle you should notice the oil pressure gauge cycle low to high three times. This is a self diagnostic the ECU preforms checking communication and functionality. (roughly by the gauge mid gauge to three quarter). Happens about a minute into the drive. Not to be confused with the key on gauge sweep tests. 

If your test pressures are good then  #PIP5308B & #PIP5407B would seemingly not apply as both require a LOW or NO oil pressure situation to accompany the PP06DD code. The code alone is a generic oil pressure switch, not a solenoid code.

7 hours ago, Robert Tyler said:

Truck indicates oil pressure. Cold idle 60, warm drops to 40 at idle, under 40 in park, 50 underway as high as 70 under acceleration. 2 mechanics say not to worry as there is good pressure.  

Your post indicates the pump is working as it should and with good 'indicated' oil pressure. Some items that you might think about. 

1.) Under that pressure switch at the front of the VLOM is a screen that needs periodic replacement. If partially plugged it may delay the pressure just long enough to trip a code even when the switch is fine. If left plugged it can and will crash your AFM eventually. Have a new one in hand. They are a pain to remove. A pick will do and will destroy the one being removed. Not in the book by I do it every 75K. 

2.) Was the code cleared after service OR as he noted 'appeared' after service. He didn't say, did he? Double check that. It's the simple stuff that trips us up, right? 

3.) If it is not running the first key cycle diagnostic or failing it then something is hindering communication. Electrical connections clean and  tight?

4.) Have him data log the oil pressure and rpm and EOT. Might catch something even a careful observer may miss. 

5.) Rare but a buggy ECU.  

8 hours ago, Robert Tyler said:

Is the solenoid something to worry about in the v6? 

Not usually. 

3 hours ago, Robert Tyler said:

Solenoid:

If it were stuck it wouldn't be responding normally. If fact it is designed to fail, if it does so, in the high pressure mode in which case you would have around 70 psi all the time. It hurts nothing but efficiency. 

Filter:

The correct filter has a 22 psi bypass spring. This was changed early on from 8-12 psi. NAPA/WIX/PUREOLATOR/AMSOIL updated this along with AC-Delco and a list of others. Some, such as BOSCH and DONALDSON have not. This was done to protect the VLOM from debris that could, would and have damaged some during cold starts.

Oil:

Meeting the DEXOS specifications is a requirement. That means synthetics are required. I won't start an oil war over that meaning. What is important is a reasonable OCI. GM has been walking this back for some time now from 7,500 miles to 5,000 miles. Treat it hard enough and even that isn't soon enough with many synthetics. IMHO.  

3 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Hot oil pressure minimums.

22 psi @ 1,000 rpm

30 psi @ 2,000 rpm

33 psi @ 3,000 rpm

LV1, LV3, L83, L86 and L96.

Note these are minimums and actual pressures are normally higher. 22 psi is the minimum required to operate the AFM properly. FYI. My down the road pressure shows 38 on the dash but an test block shows 50. Matted the dash shows 70 the test block 87 psi. For your reference for the next paragraph. 

These pressures are checked with a test block and mechanical gauge at the filter. The instrument in your dash is not accurate but is directionally correct. Shortly after a new key cycle you should notice the oil pressure gauge cycle low to high three times. This is a self diagnostic the ECU preforms checking communication and functionality. (roughly by the gauge mid gauge to three quarter). Happens about a minute into the drive. Not to be confused with the key on gauge sweep tests. 

If your test pressures are good then  #PIP5308B & #PIP5407B would seemingly not apply as both require a LOW or NO oil pressure situation to accompany the PP06DD code. The code alone is a generic oil pressure switch, not a solenoid code.

Your post indicates the pump is working as it should and with good 'indicated' oil pressure. Some items that you might think about. 

1.) Under that pressure switch at the front of the VLOM is a screen that needs periodic replacement. If partially plugged it may delay the pressure just long enough to trip a code even when the switch is fine. If left plugged it can and will crash your AFM eventually. Have a new one in hand. They are a pain to remove. A pick will do and will destroy the one being removed. Not in the book by I do it every 75K. 

2.) Was the code cleared after service OR as he noted 'appeared' after service. He didn't say, did he? Double check that. It's the simple stuff that trips us up, right? 

3.) If it is not running the first key cycle diagnostic or failing it then something is hindering communication. Electrical connections clean and  tight?

4.) Have him data log the oil pressure and rpm and EOT. Might catch something even a careful observer may miss. 

5.) Rare but a buggy ECU.  

Not usually. 

Solenoid:

If it were stuck it wouldn't be responding normally. If fact it is designed to fail, if it does so, in the high pressure mode in which case you would have around 70 psi all the time. It hurts nothing but efficiency. 

Filter:

The correct filter has a 22 psi bypass spring. This was changed early on from 8-12 psi. NAPA/WIX/PUREOLATOR/AMSOIL updated this along with AC-Delco and a list of others. Some, such as BOSCH and DONALDSON have not. This was done to protect the VLOM from debris that could, would and have damaged some during cold starts.

Oil:

Meeting the DEXOS specifications is a requirement. That means synthetics are required. I won't start an oil war over that meaning. What is important is a reasonable OCI. GM has been walking this back for some time now from 7,500 miles to 5,000 miles. Treat it hard enough and even that isn't soon enough with many synthetics. IMHO.  

When did GM start "walking back" 7,500 miles on OCI?  That would be news to me as their current maintenance schedules for normal/severe state 7,500 mi

46 minutes ago, mookdoc6 said:

When did GM start "walking back" 7,500 miles on OCI?  That would be news to me as their current maintenance schedules for normal/severe state 7,500 mi

https://www.motortrend.com/news/gm-shortens-oil-change-interval-warnings-for-779000-vehicles-352839/

While the below TSB below does not state a lower OCI  as part of the TSB, common sense dictates other as the issue is the same as the I4 above.

Ecotec3 for model years 2014-2016 Ecotec3 motors ALL. LVI, LV3, L83, L86.

If you want to dig though all my old post you will find a copy of the OEM memo to the dealer network that does mention shorter OCI's and suggest 5K for Ecotec3 Gen 5 platforms. I'm not digging though close to 6K post to find it. (I spend to much time here ? )

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10161887-9999.pdf

If you note manufacturing dates vary by engine size affected BUT are all Ecotec3 motors. Mine is on that list and having suffered this crap with the wife's 2.4 I adhere to the lower number gladly and have no issue.   

20 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

https://www.motortrend.com/news/gm-shortens-oil-change-interval-warnings-for-779000-vehicles-352839/

While the below TSB below does not state a lower OCI  as part of the TSB, common sense dictates other as the issue is the same as the I4 above.

Ecotec3 for model years 2014-2016 Ecotec3 motors ALL. LVI, LV3, L83, L86.

If you want to dig though all my old post you will find a copy of the OEM memo to the dealer network that does mention shorter OCI's and suggest 5K for Ecotec3 Gen 5 platforms. I'm not digging though close to 6K post to find it. (I spend to much time here ? )

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10161887-9999.pdf

If you note manufacturing dates vary by engine size affected BUT are all Ecotec3 motors. Mine is on that list and having suffered this crap with the wife's 2.4 I adhere to the lower number gladly and have no issue.   

As for Gen5 Ecotec3's i.e. small block V6,V8's I have no problem with current manufacture OCI @ 7,500 miles It strikes a fair balance of using lubricated products mindfully and cost effective along with undue harm to wear curve projection.

Edited by mookdoc6
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, mookdoc6 said:

As for Gen5 Ecotec3's i.e. small block V6,V8's I have no problem with current manufacture OCI @ 7,500 miles It strikes a fair balance of using lubricated products mindfully and cost effective along with undue harm to wear curve projection.

Once bitten, twice shy sort of guy that I am; having suffered collapsed rings in the wife's 2015  and knowing 'collapsed' is gum/varnish stuck as a result of oil degradation I've chosen 5K for Pepper. I also chose to move up the base oil chain for the same reasons. Hers crashed on a Group III full synthetic. QSUD specifically and on 7500 OCI's. 

I'm comfortable wearing both a belt and suspenders. ? Overkill? Could be.....

You do want me to take the best care possible of your truck....right? :rolleyes:

34 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Once bitten, twice shy sort of guy that I am; having suffered collapsed rings in the wife's 2015  and knowing 'collapsed' is gum/varnish stuck as a result of oil degradation I've chosen 5K for Pepper. I also chose to move up the base oil chain for the same reasons. Hers crashed on a Group III full synthetic. QSUD specifically and on 7500 OCI's. 

I'm comfortable wearing both a belt and suspenders. ? Overkill? Could be.....

You do want me to take the best care possible of your truck....right? :rolleyes:

I do but...I am also keenly aware of what size my oil sump and total capacity of oiling system is for engine?  At the larger volume sizes I have been very staunch about maintaining that 5k is overkill for the Gen5 ecotec3's.  I have no idea how big your wifes car/suv is and 7,500 miles I would agree is probably to long OCI on that and other issues with design probably played a role?

Edited by mookdoc6
  • Like 1