Your least reliable vehicle ever.

KARNUT

Last week I ask the most reliable, cost effective vehicle ever. Now we’ll go the other way. Mine was an early 80s Olds Diesel 5.7. We had several in the family, all bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

85 Mitsubishi Galant. The only thing that worked consistently was the sunroof. Went through 3 transmissions, 2 cracked exhaust manifolds, constant overheating issues, complete random power outages while driving sometimes, but hey I was 16 and it was my first car!

• Like 1

I had a Ford Taurus back in college. It was a constant PITA. I can't really say it was unreliable though. It never left me stranded anywhere. Definitely the most problematic vehicle though. Something was always broken, making noise, etc.

Come to think of it, I've never owned a truly unreliable vehicle. Guess I've been lucky. 

Edited by jlong1984

2005 GMC Canyon 3.5L I5 (inline 5). Had engine issues like clock work every 3 years(replaced the head twice under warranty) . transmission started to slip (probably my fault), a lot of electrical problems. once left me stranded but I knew I shouldn't of taken it. 

I have been waiting for just this question... I know ford can do a lot better, having had a 289 in my 1961 CJ5... Most unreliable vehicle - or i will extend that to combustion engine powered device...my 2017 Lariat. Build was wavy body panels, thin paint,  and crooked doors and hood.... and a ecopoop 2.7 in the shop for 30+ days... over many visits. Plastic valve covers, plastic oil pan and two turbos with water and oil feeds done on the cheap. The one vendor i will never give another chance.  I have had too many Toyota’s and Hondas that did not leak oil and coolant all over everything to think that Ford will be around much longer. Just a terrible experience. Second worst - TS100 Suzuki. Lost the wrist pin snap ring, threw a rod and tore up the rotary valve... 

Tell me i don’t have a long memory.... 

Edited by PPK
  • Like 1

1982 Buick. Broke down on my way to my wedding in the middle of Oklahoma. I borrowed an in-laws truck while local mechanic (loosely named as he was no mechanic) worked on it. Several days later go to pick it up and was handed box of spare parts! I kid you not.

Test drove it 10 miles down highway and it broke down again. Towed to my in-laws where I rebuilt the motor myself. We eventually did get a honeymoon but was six months later.

Sold that POS as soon as I could. Got an S10 that was solid reliable for years. Sold me on the brand.

Current commuter 2008 R56 Mini Cooper. Fits me like a glove and very fun to drive. But I've spent way too much money trying to fix the leaks that never stay fixed, and it burns oil like crazy. I am constantly fixing something. Not made for longevity. I only keep it because where else am I going to get a 35mpg go-cart with heat and A/C for a few thousand dollars to drive to work ?

Only 3 vehicles left me stranded. My first car 73 Mazda RX3 my fault. An iced covered hill. 120 mph, just the back tires. Overheated the rear end blew the spider gears. A 1970 Ford truck. Front wheel bearing. Bad new Jersey roads. Didn’t recognize the front end drift. 1995 1 ton dodge V-10. Hauling a tractor to a show-demo. Slowing down to gas up, no oil pressure. Had get the tractor hauled. My brother had to go from Oklahoma to South Carolina to retrieve it. The problem. Bad injector seals. Lean out, 3 blown pistons. Clogged the oil screen no oil pressure. It was still pulling, amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My second car . ( First was a 71 Chevy C20)
67 Chrysler Newport 383 4 door. My buddy's dad sold it to me for $300 in 1980. I needed some wheels the trucks tranny went out.
I replaced the starter on a weekly basis. Two power steering pumps. Front end parts all shot. Left me stranded at least half a dozen times.
Last time was -25° it lost a frost plug and overheated . Cracked block. I owned it for 6 months maybe.
That was a miserable car.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

1989 Toyota Camry.  V6 College car that dad got me from an old couple.  It was free so I would not complain.  Tranny went out at 80,000 miles, and cracked engine block at 120,000 miles.  Oh what a feeling.  But hey It was a lemon, right?  But Toyota makes the most reliable vehicles in the world!   So I suckered and got me a 1994 Camry. 4 Cyl (used) 115,000 miles.  Water pump, oil pump, manifold leak, heater core failed, oh.. and the timing belt that was replaced at 100,000 miles supposedly?  (paperwork showed it) it let go at around 120,000 miles on my way back home to Colorado from college for winter break.. in the middle of a snow storm in the middle of nowhere Wyoming.  Well Little America wasn't too far away.... stayed there for 2 days until I-80 re-opened and my dad could come and get me.  We sold (more like gave) the car to a family friend who lived in Star Valley, Wyoming (Afton) and they had a friend tow it up there and they dropped a used low millage engine in it out of a totaled one and were able to get another 50,000 miles out of it before the tranny let go.  Thus why I am not a huge fan of Toyota and call em Crapota.  Oh what a feeling. 

On 12/30/2020 at 8:46 AM, brotherBONES said:

C17 tailnumber 1111, a.k.a. Barcode...

I have broken down or had trouble in third world s***holes with that jet than anything else ha emoji1787.pngemoji1787.pngemoji1787.png65e344f3dcae990c2a86eda80fb559a3.jpg

That's sad.  A former neighbor of mine flew the C-141 and then the C-17.  He loved the C-17 and was impressed with it's performance.  Showed me a video of a short field take off once, impressive as hell.  Love the sound of the engines.  Same engines more or less that are on the 757s that I worked on for Delta (Pratt and Whitney PW2000s) very sturdy and powerful, but a bit temperamental when they get older and are due for rebuilds.