4x4 GM deception? (Not serious)

2 hours ago, f8l vnm said:

Do you always have to be right! Geeeeeeeeez :)  J/K

Far from it LOL.  I just got to thinking about it though because SilveradoRST made a good point bringing it up in his post.  And if you really think about it, the auto mode is just like GM's other AWD systems or at least some of them. 

Like the Traverse for example has the drive mode switch.  It has 2wd, "4wd" which is really AWD as its an on demand clutch system that sends power to the rear wheels in its case as its a front drive based SUV.  So they are a "selectable" AWD system as you can defeat it by using just front wheel drive and de-coupling the rear. 

The pickups and the autotrak system are a jack of all trades.  Its 2 wheel drive, its an active AWD (auto) and its 4WD (4hi/4lo) as you can engage 4wd full on and bypass the transfer case clutch from varying the power.  And of course, there is the single speed and two speed variants of these cases.  In Auto the front axle is engaged all the time.  The transfer case does all the power flow work.  When no slip is detected, there is 5% power flow to the front axle and 95% power flow to the rear.  Once there is slip, it can ramp up to as much as 50/50% power flow via the clutch pack front/rear.  

None of them are a full time AWD however like the Silverado SS or a Subaru.    

Edited by newdude

GM did actually make 2 wheel drive Z71s however.  This was a legitimate option 2007-2015.  It got you the suspension from a 4x4 Z71 but in a 2wd truck.

They stopped doing it on Silverado in 2015 but you can still get a Z71 Colorado in 2WD as Z71 is a trim level:

Here is a link to a Colorado that is legit a 2wd Z71:  2021 Chevrolet Colorado Z71 For Sale In Orange Park | Cars.com    

Here is a legit 2wd Z71 2014 for sale:  2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2LT For Sale In Cullman | Cars.com

Here is a legit GMT-900 Z71 2wd:  2007 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT2 Crew Cab For Sale In Plano | Cars.com

And 2 Avalanche Z71 2wd just for giggles:  2007 Chevrolet Avalanche LTZ For Sale In Charleston | Cars.com

2007 Chevrolet Avalanche LT For Sale In San Antonio | Cars.com

I ran all the build sheets on them just to be 100%.  They are real 2wd Z71.  They are not a dealership sticker job (which sadly do exist) they are off the production line.  

It definitely had badges not stickers. My 02 Avalanche is the Z66. Not 4WD. Didn’t expect it to be one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

58 minutes ago, lonestardiver said:

Z71 is a suspension package and does not mean you have 4 wheel drive. You can have a 4 wheel drive truck without the Z71 decal, like the Z66.

My old 05 Duramax 2500 crew cab 4x4 had a decal that said 4x4, but it was not the Z71 suspension package.

On 2019 and newer - Z71 = 4x4 and, particularly, 4x4 with a 2-speed transfer case. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Wiggums said:

The shortest I've owned a car was for 4 hours because it didn't have 4x4.

2001 Isuzu Trooper. I was so mad, I had a 1991 then a 1995. 4x4 was standard. I made the mistake of walking in the dealership and pointed at the 2001 in the lot. I never drove it and assumed 4x4 was still standard.

It wasn't so I had to do the paperwork all over again since it was already a "used" vehicle and I lost a lot of money, but, hey, I had to have 4x4 on that ranch! My Cheyenne is an RST with a two-speed transfer case, I am glad I had it. When I got it brand new, I was stuck in a very awkward situation, a car parked inches away from my back bumper, the front tires were leaning against a curb and the front bumper was about two feet away from a brick fence. So glad I had 4L, I could get myself out of the mess that way.

? I forgot about this story, you probably don't want to run around telling everyone the reason you have 4-lo is so you could use it that one time because you were up against a curb...

It is 4wd, it is all how the transfer case sends the power and what is in it. AWD makes the decisions for you and can send power at different percentages front to rear where 4wd is locked 50-50. As far as I know a 4wd transfer case is usually a chain connecting the drive lines where an AWD is clutch pack. 

Tyler

• Haha 1

On 1/19/2021 at 8:08 AM, TeamSaris said:

I made sure my truck had 4 low....great for boat ramps.

And yet, you can’t configure NHT with a 2 speed transfer case/4L on the 2019+.  Maybe GM doesn’t think 4L is necessary for those who want max towing capabilities.  I don’t tow, so I don’t know. 

Unless that’s changed?

A topic for another day.

Edited:  Oops! I was wrong.  You get it with the 6.2.   Thanks OnTheReel for correcting me.  

Edited by SilveradoRST

7 hours ago, SilveradoRST said:

And yet, you can’t configure NHT with a 2 speed transfer case/4L on the 2019+.  Maybe GM doesn’t think 4L is necessary for those who want max towing capabilities.  I don’t tow, so I don’t know. 

Unless that’s changed?

A topic for another day.

I don't think it is to be honest. 4L is great for a heavy boat and a slippery ramp. But necessary? Nah. If it was id be better off with a 2500.

Its still 4wd because you can turn it off to save mpg. Nicer to have the option, but Ive only used 4low a couple times in 25 years; 2wd/4hi with g80 works well for most tasks except rock crawlin or stump pullin in the mud (great for commercials, but not really common for 95% new truck owners in the burbs). Last stump I pulled was in 2wd in M with a little slack in the line, and it worked fine...

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

The Z71 was originally an off road package from GM from the early 70's, but didn't get the bed stickers and marketing push associated with the label until 1988.  The 1988 package included shocks, tires, skid plates, limited slip differential, badging and was only available on 4x4 units.  Again, this package was available before 1988 but was not outwardly identifiable.  I am unsure if the original Z71 automatically included a 2 speed transfer case.  In 2010, the Z71 Appearance option became available on 2wd vehicles and included:  body-color grille and front fascia, body color door handles and mirror caps, unique Z71 box side decals, chrome sill plates, and a unique Z71 gauge cluster.  I believe it is still available on the Colorado in 2WD form but I could be mistaken.

11 hours ago, SilveradoRST said:

Unless that’s changed?

A topic for another day.

Well, then GM screwed up when they made my 2019 with NHT and put in a 2 speed transfer case.

So does anyone have a 4x4 with the terrain mode? I think if you don't get the Z71 package you don't get 4 low. How does the terrain mode work in real world? is it comparable to 4 low? I'm looking into a 4x4 I just need it to go to the snow a few times a year, and some backcountry camping. I want to be able to go wherever I want road wise without worrying about not having 4x4.