In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

SilveradoRST

4x4 GM deception? (Not serious)

Is GM being honest to put a “4x4” sticker on 4wd single transfer case trucks?   Should they put a “AWD” sticker instead?

Not a serious issue.  Just having some fun on “Blue Monday.”

Edited by SilveradoRST

I thought the same when gm eliminated the floor shifter.?

Actually a fair question. But “AWD” wouldn’t really seem right either. The single speed transfer case is kinda in between the two, maybe?

I like having 4 low, although I admit I hardly use it and could probably live without it. 

• Like 1

I did take a look at a ‘20 and realized that it was a single speed... transfer case. There is no room in my garage for a single sp transfer case... Agreed only needed once in a blue moon - i used mine last may to help guide a large tree to the ground.. i think usually when i use it is for control - like backing up to my trailer to creeping a tight turn with it.

My 2108 SLT is just fine... i think the de-content on the new trucks is there... you just have to study so you know what features you might miss.. i mean we all can’t afford a Denali... 

Edited by PPK
  • Like 1

I didn't even realize this was a thing until I had a Custom for a loaner.  As OnTheReel said, I wouldn't call it AWD either.  It's sort of the worst of both worlds IMHO?

I haven't used 4 low since my K5 in the 90s but I do plan on taking this off road a bit more in coming months, so it "might" get used.

Single speed transfer case is still 4wd.

AWD normally refers to a system that is always driving all 4 wheels. 

And, for along time, even with the floor shifter for the transfer case, there was still the electric actuator on the front axle.  

The shortest I've owned a car was for 4 hours because it didn't have 4x4.

2001 Isuzu Trooper. I was so mad, I had a 1991 then a 1995. 4x4 was standard. I made the mistake of walking in the dealership and pointed at the 2001 in the lot. I never drove it and assumed 4x4 was still standard.

It wasn't so I had to do the paperwork all over again since it was already a "used" vehicle and I lost a lot of money, but, hey, I had to have 4x4 on that ranch! My Cheyenne is an RST with a two-speed transfer case, I am glad I had it. When I got it brand new, I was stuck in a very awkward situation, a car parked inches away from my back bumper, the front tires were leaning against a curb and the front bumper was about two feet away from a brick fence. So glad I had 4L, I could get myself out of the mess that way.

It’s worse than that. They put well known 4WD stickers on trucks that are 2WD. My brother in law bought a Toyota that had all the 4WD stickers and badges but wasn’t. He made it clear when he arrived he was shopping for one. Even the salesman was fooled. They gladly took his money when he swap out for an identical looking real 4WD. I bought my son a Avalanche in 07 that had Z71 badges all over it that was 2WD. I only realized it when I used it while mine was in the shop. Reminds me way back when GM put SS badges on 6cyls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I made sure my truck had 4 low....great for boat ramps.

If you want the 2 speed transfer case opt for the Z71or the X31 option package.

Without a front locker, we're really talking about 3WD at best here, aren't we? ? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, SilveradoRST said:

Is GM being honest to put a “4x4” sticker on 4wd single transfer case trucks?   Should they put a “AWD” sticker instead?

Not a serious issue.  Just having some fun on “Blue Monday.”

No because it has an actual 4HI mode in addition to AUTO making it a true "lock it in to 4x4" system.  AUTO mode makes a GM basically an AWD truck as the power to the front is sent on demand.

In that instance, anything with the AutoTrak system, when in auto is a selectable AWD vehicle.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KARNUT said:

It’s worse than that. They put well known 4WD stickers on trucks that are 2WD. My brother in law bought a Toyota that had all the 4WD stickers and badges but wasn’t. He made it clear when he arrived he was shopping for one. Even the salesman was fooled. They gladly took his money when he swap out for an identical looking real 4WD. I bought my son a Avalanche in 07 that had Z71 badges all over it that was 2WD. I only realized it when I used it while mine was in the shop. Reminds me way back when GM put SS badges on 6cyls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GM did actually make 2 wheel drive Z71s however.  This was a legitimate option 2007-2015.  It got you the suspension from a 4x4 Z71 but in a 2wd truck.

They stopped doing it on Silverado in 2015 but you can still get a Z71 Colorado in 2WD as Z71 is a trim level:

Here is a link to a Colorado that is legit a 2wd Z71:  2021 Chevrolet Colorado Z71 For Sale In Orange Park | Cars.com    

Here is a legit 2wd Z71 2014 for sale:  2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2LT For Sale In Cullman | Cars.com

Here is a legit GMT-900 Z71 2wd:  2007 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT2 Crew Cab For Sale In Plano | Cars.com

And 2 Avalanche Z71 2wd just for giggles:  2007 Chevrolet Avalanche LTZ For Sale In Charleston | Cars.com

2007 Chevrolet Avalanche LT For Sale In San Antonio | Cars.com

I ran all the build sheets on them just to be 100%.  They are real 2wd Z71.  They are not a dealership sticker job (which sadly do exist) they are off the production line.  

Edited by newdude
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, newdude said:

GM did actually make 2 wheel drive Z71s however.  This was a legitimate option 2007-2015.  It got you the suspension from a 4x4 Z71 but in a 2wd truck.

^^^This^^^

For a period of time,  Z71 was different shocks, skid plates, bigger air filter and badges/decals. 

Probably most often added to 4wd's, but not always.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, newdude said:

No because it has an actual 4HI mode in addition to AUTO making it a true "lock it in to 4x4" system.  AUTO mode makes a GM basically an AWD truck as the power to the front is sent on demand.

In that instance, anything with the AutoTrak system, when in auto is a selectable AWD vehicle.  

Do you always have to be right! Geeeeeeeeez :)  J/K