Weight Distribution Hitch

I looked at the anderson but heard it didn't shift much weight, especially on heavy trailers.  I'm towing a toy hauler 7500lbs packed and use a blue ox sway pro.  I love it, easy to put on and adjust, clean, quiet, and really helps to shift the weight back to the front and no sway issues so far.

Another option I hear good things on is the equalizer 4pt, but no experience with it.

I have a similar 25ft 4500-5500# RV and just replaced my 4pt Equalizer with the Andersen and love it. The equalizer was heavy, extremely loud, and bouncy on the road. It worked, but wasn't great... The Andersen has been fantastic. Light, easy to install (connect/disconnect), quiet (literally no noise at all), and drives really nice. I don't get any of the bounce like before. As for transferring weight, I don't have a lot to say. I don't get any sag and pre/post measurements are the same so I would say it's working. I have not been on a scale though.

Equal-i-zer Weight Distribution System w/ 4-Point Sway Control - 12,000 lbs GTW, 1,200 lbs TW

About $850 @ trailer.com

A bit heavy and requires some muscle but will remove any sway or safety worries and give you peace of mind. 

Edited by LowCountryDenali

On 1/19/2021 at 11:21 AM, redwngr said:

GM figures you don't need a weight distributing hitch on a 1500 if the trailer is under 7000#. n

That would depend what your are towing - if a boat - maybe not needed - but it can't hurt - if a enclosed car trailer - absolutely want one - as when the wind kicks up - you will be thankful for the added stability and safetly! 

Two numbers on your weight equilization hitch - smaller one is tongue weight and bigger one is loaded trailer weight - want to get one that is more than these numbers, but not way over. 

I have a 1,400 / 12,000 lbs - my trailer has 1,200 lbs of tongue weight and is rated for 10,000 lbs - 

Not exact brand but this is same set up I have.  Does the job and is affordable - but the Equiilizer hitch is the best one - and what I had on my last trailer - which I much preferred to this set up.  This set up works fine, but more steps to hook up, more parts to deal with and not as good on sway control - but 30% the cost ($250/$800).  I got this one as the day I bought the trailer I had to tow it home 500 miles and it was windy and it was all they had.  Plan to replace it with an Equilizer hitch soon.

Hitch information link:   https://campaddict.com/weight-distribution-hitch/   - ton on information in this article. 

060501_1.jpg?sw=1350&sh=1000&sm=fit

• 9 months later...

I definitely recommend these weight distribution hitches to anyone that's looking for a WDH with sway combo. I use this  EAZ LIFT 48058 Elite Kit for my Durango RT and 5250 lbs dry-weight camper. These hitches are made with top-tier steel, and they have a sway control system as well. It comes pre-installed and it makes the install process much easier. And since I’m not the most technically savvy person, it’s always a nice touch when there’s a feature that’ll make the installation a more straightforward task.  

Edited by daltonbourne

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2021 at 2:21 PM, redwngr said:

GM figures you don't need a weight distributing hitch on a 1500 if the trailer is under 7000#. n

Need and recommended are two different things.  Coming from someone that tried a full enclosed trailer without a weight distribution hitch and without sway bars, I'd recommend it...wasn't fun...

On 1/20/2021 at 7:24 PM, Supercup said:

That would depend what your are towing - if a boat - maybe not needed - but it can't hurt - if a enclosed car trailer - absolutely want one - as when the wind kicks up - you will be thankful for the added stability and safetly! 

Precisely.  Wish I knew this ahead of time before I had to tow mine!  Factory ratings are a joke...push it to the limit, you'll have a hard time.

They are somewhat of a joke; I would never tow more than 8000 pounds with any half ton.

But people just don't think anymore. There is a huge difference between a utility trailer loaded up with flatbar weighing 10,000 pounds, vs a 34 foot toy hauler RV weighing 10,000 pounds. The wind and instability of the RV will make your experience far worse even though they weigh the same.

So these manufacturers don't know what you're pulling, you can tow some trailers weighing X pounds but you can't pull just any trailer weighing X pounds.