Transmission gone 106k 2017 Sierra

106k 2017 5.3 6 speed 

felt a slip and a bump in 3rd gear. Under moderate acceleration, heard grinding.  Limped home a few miles. Towed to dealer, results TBD. 

im thinking the torque converter let go and ruined the whole trans. 

history - chuggle TSB when the truck was new. Flushed at 50k at the dealer. Dropped pan at 100k and changed filter / replaced lost fluid with fresh dex 6. Pan was clean. Fluid looked great. Not much on the magnet. Looked brand new inside. 

90 percent highway miles. Maybe 3000 miles towing, nothing more than 5000 lbs. don’t haul much. Don’t overload when I do. I don’t even drive it really hard....maybe mash the go pedal once a month. 

aftermarket converters - what’s available?

what stall is the stock one?

hoping extended warranty covers this.

anyone with any thoughts / comments / inputs?

thanks.  

mike 

Just rebuilt mine at 109k. 2014 Silverado 1500, 5.3l, 4x4, CST 4.5" lift, 35x11.5x20 Ridge Grapplers, 3.42 gears. Same issues and duty cycle you are reporting. However, I bolted on a 1.9l supercharger at about 105k. That certainly didn't help this fragile tranny survive. All billet parts and upgrades, 1800 stall billet TC. Hopefully, I can get 150k out of this one with the SC. We'll see. $6.5k is tough to swallow at 100k on these trucks. Truck was pretty much stock up to 90k miles.

10 hours ago, Dick Lichon said:

Just rebuilt mine at 109k. 2014 Silverado 1500, 5.3l, 4x4, CST 4.5" lift, 35x11.5x20 Ridge Grapplers, 3.42 gears. Same issues and duty cycle you are reporting. However, I bolted on a 1.9l supercharger at about 105k. That certainly didn't help this fragile tranny survive. All billet parts and upgrades, 1800 stall billet TC. Hopefully, I can get 150k out of this one with the SC. We'll see. $6.5k is tough to swallow at 100k on these trucks. Truck was pretty much stock up to 90k miles.

$6.5k is easier to take than $60k for a new truck.  :)

Edited by Black02Silverado
spelling
  • Like 2

On 4/27/2021 at 7:47 AM, Dick Lichon said:

In your opinion, which of the Big 3 builds the most-durable transmission right now? Is Ford F-150 6-speed any better, or Ram 1500 8-speed?

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Your extended warranty company will not pay to rebuilt your trans. unless they can get a warranty like a 3yr/100k. What they will end up on doing is get the dealer to replace it with another GM trans. off the self if available because it will come with a 3y/100k warranty from GM. Now you will have to talk to your service manager if you can replace the torque converter with a billet aftermarket one (which I don't think they will cause of warranty reasons). If there enough metal in the pan your extended warranty will give the gone ahead and replace it. While you have the trans. out have them check your rear main seal if its need replacing.

How I know this because it has happened to me at 109,144 was 150 miles from the dealer got lucky an found a good tow company that only charge me $230 for the tow. I don't know who you have for the extended warranty, but make sure your service rep. keeps in daily contact with them, it also helps if they know the extended warranty company. Did you buy your extended warranty from the dealer, if so talk to your sales rep. maybe they can help on getting you a new trans. Good luck. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2021 at 4:35 AM, DeePa said:

aftermarket converters - what’s available?  

lots of other GM trucks have suitable converters, could try aftermarket, but I bet you biggest issue was heat not the converter. you can go all the way back to a 2008 1500 truck  , Blazer SS models with 6l80 or a 2500 HD truck with 6L90e trans, some guys are using CTS-V for more power abuse those are 2200-2500 stall I think 

what stall is the stock one?

1900-2000

I'm toying with going to a lower stall and completely disabling the lock up converter controls  maybe a 1300-1600 rpm , they did this in the 70's before TCC was utilized 

hoping extended warranty covers this.

doubt it

I would install a trans cooler and keep an eye on temps with the DIC gauge

Edited by pokismoki