Introduction Of The Electric Chevrolet Silverado

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I can say this much. For just around town an EV is the way to go. Especially if only going no farther than 20 miles.  You could do all the running around on a charge no problem, plus smaller vehicles are great for parking. 

I love my Cruze diesel for that, small and fuel efficient, not as much around town but better than my truck.  This last trip to visit accounts  I was on the interstate most of the time and my mpg was 48.  Around town it's 31mpg.  Mainly because i do a bunch of fast starts to get out in front of traffic.

• Like 1

I'm convinced a diesel electric hybrid is the best solution for a truck.

1. Small diesel engine to power on board generator. Runs at a fixed RPM so its tuned for a specific condition, far more efficient, less emissions, less noise, less weight.
  2. On board battery pack (small) to power electric motors. Can be charged from the grid or via the on board generator. Short trips wouldn't need to run the diesel generator and are electric only. Long trips use the generator. Smaller size reduces weight.
  3. Re fuel times just like what we are accustomed to, and utilize the vast fueling infrastructure already in place.
  4. Long trips aren't disrupted by hours long recharge times. As long as the generator is fueled, there is electric power to keep traveling.
  5. Regenerative braking.
  6. Electric instant torque.
  7. Use the diesel generator for heat vs. the inefficient electric heat. 
  8. Export power from the onboard generator to RV's, job-sites, tail gating, or as stand by for home emergencies.
  9. Engine malfunction, limp home on electric. Battery dead, run off the the generators electricity. Built in redundancy. 

This setup would perform as well as a traditional truck and operate more efficiently while doing it. The only downside is slightly more complexity (although all this technology has been being used for decades: internal combustion engine, generator, electric motor, battery...).

6 minutes ago, asilverblazer said:

I'm convinced a diesel electric hybrid is the best solution for a truck.

1. Small diesel engine to power on board generator. Runs at a fixed RPM so its tuned for a specific condition, far more efficient, less emissions, less noise, less weight.
  2. On board battery pack (small) to power electric motors. Can be charged from the grid or via the on board generator. Short trips wouldn't need to run the diesel generator and are electric only. Long trips use the generator. Smaller size reduces weight.
  3. Re fuel times just like what we are accustomed to, and utilize the vast fueling infrastructure already in place.
  4. Long trips aren't disrupted by hours long recharge times. As long as the generator is fueled, there is electric power to keep traveling.
  5. Regenerative braking.
  6. Electric instant torque.
  7. Use the diesel generator for heat vs. the inefficient electric heat. 
  8. Export power from the onboard generator to RV's, job-sites, tail gating, or as stand by for home emergencies.
  9. Engine malfunction, limp home on electric. Battery dead, run off the the generators electricity. Built in redundancy. 

This setup would perform as well as a traditional truck and operate more efficiently while doing it. The only downside is slightly more complexity (although all this technology has been being used for decades: internal combustion engine, generator, electric motor, battery...).

My house generator can power my house with the exception of my central air. But will run a window unit. It will run 18 hours on 6 gallons of gas. It will easily sit in the corner of a pickup bed even inside of a toolbox. I thought if I ever bought an electric truck it would all but eliminate range problems. Especially if you could charge on the fly. I like the idea of the diesel generator. All things considered though. Overall from my reading on the subject. From mining the metals to using the in place electric generation. Electric vehicles currently don’t do much in pollution reduction. Converting to natural gas in pickups to large trucks are more efficient. Hybrid cars and SUVs take care of the rest. If they went back to nuclear power generation there could be something there. 

• 4 weeks later...

Saw Motor Week on Sunday as usual. They featured the new Ram with its new 6 cylinder. They mentioned later they’ll be testing Rams new electric truck with a range extending generator. It seems someone finally is thinking straight. Well as straight as you can when it comes to electric. 

• Like 1