Does my truck look totaled?

Unfortunately I had my first wreck yesterday. I got hit by a car that ran a stop sign, and hit me right in the rear passenger tire and side panel. That spun me off the road and landed sideways in a deep ditch, which is what caused all the front end damage. It's kinda hard to see the back panel damage from the pics, but I think the tire took most of the hit. The front and back bumpers were also bent. And the front passenger door got messed up. I'm more concerned about internal damage where the car hit my back tire, and where I hit the ditch hard with the front tire.

Since this happened right before a holiday weekend, I'm probably not going to find out anything from insurance until next week. I am trying to get an idea if it will be totaled or not, so I can start preparing mentally and financially to look for another truck.

I attached some pictures that I took after the truck was at the body shop.

20210903_103434.jpg

20210903_103452.jpg

20210902_163717_compress66.jpg

20210902_152604_compress44.jpg

• Sad 2

No injuries or airbag deployment? I’d be curious to see what you insurance companies values the truck at (precovid  vs now). I agree doesn’t look too bad from the outside but everything underneath; tough call.

I have Geico, but since this was no fault, the other parties insurance will be covering it. But Geico will be the one sending the appraiser to look at it next week. 

The book value of the truck is $27k, but I think the actual cash value would be higher right now. I'm in Tennssee to be totaled, the damage would have to exceed 75%.

• Like 1

Insurance is doing what's best for their pocket. I got tbone once, the repair was 3x the value of the car. Insurance refused to total and refused to fix because it cost to much. My lawyer sent a letter to my own insurance.  Car was deemed total after. My other car got rear ended, the damage wasn't much but labor/time takes to repair was ridiculous. Car deemed total without a question.

Two accidents with two different insurance companies. 

There are shops that will patch your car and keep the cost low. This is why some insurance will play fishing game until it works in their favor. I'm not sure about your State but the State I live in, I have the right to pick my own shop. Whatever the insurance says, don't go to a patch shop. You don't want your truck to look like it's going left while you're going right....

2 hours ago, LovinChevy said:

I just noticed from this picture that the rear wheel looks to be offset in the wheel well, so maybe there is some suspension or axle damage too. 

20210902_163727.jpg

Undoubtedly suspension and axle damage. I hope you can be there when the appraiser makes their judgement. Make him or her aware that you won't stand for any hidden damage and insist on new seals and outer axle bearings, new shocks, leaf hangers and maybe new leaf packs if they are not perfectly straight. My guess is the frame is bent so you'll want that addressed too. Oh, and the wheel that took the impact is probably damaged and will need to be replaced also.

From what I've watched on various walk-arounds at CoPart yards, they're gonna total it.
Bummer. :(
Please keep us updated ... this kinda stuff really sucks, I'm really sorry that happened to you, @LovinChevy.

Edited by MikeBMW

There's a lot of damage there. I think anytime a wheel take's a direct hit they have to replace A LOT of connecting parts even if they don't show any signs of damage. I'd say it's a write off.

My 2010 silverado took a hit to the front wheel. Welcome to the sloowww motion club. 

Edited by M1ck3y
  • Like 2

This deer hit was an almost $16k comprehensive claim with no damage to frame, driveline, or suspension. Basically a whole new front clip + core support, radiator, condensor, shutters, fans, and one really expensive LED headlight. I think your really close to total territory with the current value of your truck.

PXL_20210706_161446777.jpg

PXL_20210706_161441654.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/4/2021 at 10:56 PM, LovinChevy said:

Unfortunately I had my first wreck yesterday. I got hit by a car that ran a stop sign, and hit me right in the rear passenger tire and side panel. That spun me off the road and landed sideways in a deep ditch, which is what caused all the front end damage. It's kinda hard to see the back panel damage from the pics, but I think the tire took most of the hit. The front and back bumpers were also bent. And the front passenger door got messed up. I'm more concerned about internal damage where the car hit my back tire, and where I hit the ditch hard with the front tire.

Since this happened right before a holiday weekend, I'm probably not going to find out anything from insurance until next week. I am trying to get an idea if it will be totaled or not, so I can start preparing mentally and financially to look for another truck.

I attached some pictures that I took after the truck was at the body shop.

20210903_103434.jpg

20210903_103452.jpg

20210902_163717_compress66.jpg

20210902_152604_compress44.jpg

Good candidate for Vehcor repair video series!

If the axle moved, that's not really a big deal, new U-Bolts and such is all that might be needed to put it back in place.  The front suspension components are made to break away/apart, so a wreck doesn't always damage the frame or mounting brackets.  If you love it, fix it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, swathdiver said:

Good candidate for Vehcor repair video series!

If the axle moved, that's not really a big deal, new U-Bolts and such is all that might be needed to put it back in place.  The front suspension components are made to break away/apart, so a wreck doesn't always damage the frame or mounting brackets.  If you love it, fix it.

Yep, get Vehcor on it! Great YT channel!
I don't know if that's an option, but it would great.
I look forward to the insurance decision.

• Like 1