Here ya go... The 2022 Silverado full reveal!

A few minutes in she's talking about sales percentages stacking one upon the other. 30% are this and 30% are that. What she didn't say was 80% of them were both. She also said the driver for sales is...."Younger and New buyers". AND? :crackup:AND!!!! When did infants earn incomes? 

A page from Mc Donald's playbook. Hook them before they know how bad this is.....:rollin:Main line some bad dope and you will love bad dope. (BTW we don't really care about anyone over 25). Soylent Green.......

Mary keeps sneaking in autonomous driving features further separating the driver from the vehicle. Remember when it was asked what we though of 'dial shifting'? Did it matter what was said? Now autopilot? Does she understand that the DRIVER is responsible for this two and a half ton guided missile? Trailering? I can't back up a pickup with my camper but I have the tech to let a five year old do it...... ?????

This is that scene where the bad guy has his gun behind his back telling the victim "I just want to talk sweetie,....I won't hurt you...come on out and talk to me.....". (and under his breath, "you little bit**") (Hide behind the chain saws Mikey)

Anytime anyone tries to sell you a Swiss Army Knife can bet it does nothing well and everything less than half.  Mary ain't no MacGyver.  Run Baja on the weekend and your kids to school on Monday in Limo style....:wtf:

Smoke....Mirrors....horse feathers...

On the video TFL trucks put out the Zr2 looks to have the exact same front upper and lower control arms as the 2019-2021's and they have the same 2" factory lift as the trail boss. The only difference I saw was the rear leaf spring pack had a few more leafs in it. It seems to me that the DSSV shocks would bolt right in a 2019-2021 truck! It also would seem to me that the factory UCA's are tougher than we think.

15 minutes ago, Firehawk99 said:

On the video TFL trucks put out the Zr2 looks to have the exact same front upper and lower control arms as the 2019-2021's and they have the same 2" factory lift as the trail boss. The only difference I saw was the rear leaf spring pack had a few more leafs in it. It seems to me that the DSSV shocks would bolt right in a 2019-2021 truck! It also would seem to me that the factory UCA's are tougher than we think.

The factory UCA's are tough, as long as you don't exceed their bind limits.  The front suspension has longer travel, which is probably why we see longer CV's in the TB....known anticipation for the ZR2 which would actually need them with longer suspension travel.   

I'm legitimately excited about the ZR2, it's setup perfect for the back roads driver, overlander, weekend camper and trail hopper.  Its the ONLY  basic full size 1/2 ton with selectable front and rear lockers making it extremely capable right out of the box.   The first thing I'll be looking for is a wrecked Zr2 to yank the front differential out of and throw into my truck.

Edited by Gangly
  • Like 1

If they opened orders today, I would put money on a ZR2 ASAP. GM FINALLY built a truck that is a reasonable every day TRUCK that is also off-road capable enough for moderate trails. Perfect set up for me. 

And finally glad they are offering so much of the tech in more trim levels, too. Can't wait to order a ZR2 to replace my 2019 RST. 

23 hours ago, BIGDOGx said:

I like the zr2 even though I'm thinking it will touch the 90-100k mark, especially considering gm has the ability to probably only build a couple thousand right now so dealers will be marking up the hell out of em imo. Not sure i like the new grill but the 8 year old interior has thankfully been somewhat addressed.

No chance. They are placing the ZR2 between the LTZ and HC in the lineup. My guess is the ZR2 will start around mid-$60K. I believe Andre from TFL said the only option available on it is the multiflex tailgate... which is nice. I'm glad GM is finally just selling a truck loaded, vs. having to jump through all these wild hoops to option it up to where it SHOULD BE for the pricing. 

This is not a Raptor or a TRX, and GM knows that. They won't sell this thing over $70K MSRP, IMO. Because the HC with Super Cruise and a more refined interior will not be priced higher than the mid-$70Ks. 

Keep in mind they have the GMC line-up to reveal still. That's where you'll start to see things inch closer to $90K, IMO. I'm eager to see what they'll do with the AT4 Sierra. 

43 minutes ago, Amcguy1970 said:

Not sure all the hate on the ZR2, why would they go after a saturated low selling market? The Raptor only sells less than 10% in terms of percent of F150 sales (this is hard to pinpoint but seems to be the general consensus), I keep seeing around 50k annually. Add in the TRX which will sell even less so why go through all that development and expense for a marginal return? Why not go after an untapped market? This is basically a Power Wagon for the light duty market. More back country than desert. A better over lander (over landing is so hot right now) that can get through the trails better and up that fire road with more payload and towing. 

100%. GM, IMO, read the #s after the wild payoff on the TrailBoss bet and realized that larger % of buyers don't want supertrucks. They want trucks that have high capabilities, great tech, and reasonable pricing. I think they have read the market much better than Ford or RAM on this one. 

...plus, as mentioned above, GM's sales framework doesn't need a supertruck to maximize margins with lower sales volumes, like Ford and RAM do. They have the GMC line-up for that. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

A few minutes in she's talking about sales percentages stacking one upon the other. 30% are this and 30% are that. What she didn't say was 80% of them were both. She also said the driver for sales is...."Younger and New buyers". AND? :crackup:AND!!!! When did infants earn incomes? 

Take a listen again. She said 30% were Trail Boss and an additional 30% were Z71, totalling 60% of Silverado 1500 sales being off-road capable (which really means having an off-road package). She specifically called out that 60% of sales were off-road packages

And yes, younger and new buyers are a thing to attract, especially when so many truck configurations are so bloody expensive, the high level trims have been priced out of the new buyer market. GM wants folks buying their first new car to buy high-margin vehicles like a Silverado, not a sub-$20k Cruze.

They need <35 year olds buying in if they want to keep selling the high-end trucks to older buyers, as the guys buying those high-end trucks are rarely buying their first truck. I expect the Custom Trail Boss in particular has sold well to younger buyers. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mawz said:

Take a listen again. She said 30% were Trail Boss and an additional 30% were Z71, totalling 60% of Silverado 1500 sales being off-road capable (which really means having an off-road package). She specifically called out that 60% of sales were off-road packages

And yes, younger and new buyers are a thing to attract, especially when so many truck configurations are so bloody expensive, the high level trims have been priced out of the new buyer market. GM wants folks buying their first new car to buy high-margin vehicles like a Silverado, not a sub-$20k Cruze.

They need <35 year olds buying in if they want to keep selling the high-end trucks to older buyers, as the guys buying those high-end trucks are rarely buying their first truck. I expect the Custom Trail Boss in particular has sold well to younger buyers. 

I get ya...so 60% of my trucks are capable of being a truck. I'm still LMAO....

50 minutes ago, Amcguy1970 said:

Because it doesn't, not sure how that rumor started. Both ratings and testing show otherwise, plus you need premium to get that rated number, many truck buyers balk at that, as do I. A truck engine shouldn't need to be stressed to need premium, that is not how comfortable longevity is accomplished. If it is high strung where premium is best served then it should be in more special and higher performance models. The 2.7 I am glad they were able to get it at the numbers on regular (the current gen at least, does this new one also just need regular with the torque bump?).

It's not a rumor.  I have a 2021 RST with the 6.2 and it's getting the same mileage, if not better, than my 2016 Suburban and my 2008 Silverado (both with 5.3s).  And does just fine on 87.  

10 hours ago, Freeagnt54 said:

I wonder if they changed anything to get that rating.

When the 3.0L package was released someone from GM engineering (Barta perhaps?) was quoted as saying the current rating limitation was due to cooling. 

Seems likely that the front end changes may have improved airflow/cooling.

The SAE towing test (SAE J2807) is the rating method all manufacturers now use.  It includes cooling requirements in the test conditions.

Motortrend story covering some of the details of the J2807 test:

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/1502-sae-j2807-tow-tests-the-standard/

EDIT TO ADD:

On another site the are saying that GM reported frame tweak and a 3.73 rear diff also contribute to the new rating.

Edited by redwngr

16 minutes ago, Mawz said:

When I heard her say that, I was curious if the 30% of Z71 sales INCLUDED TrailBosses, which are indeed Z71's themselves. I know GM isn't mathematically novice, but they also know how to market and shade #s to their advantage. 

Then again... I see a LOT of Z71 trucks around here. I mean, why not? You get dual exhaust and a 2-speed transfer case with it for barely much more $ and the same MPG. So why not. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, econometrics said:

When I heard her say that, I was curious if the 30% of Z71 sales INCLUDED TrailBosses, which are indeed Z71's themselves. I know GM isn't mathematically novice, but they also know how to market and shade #s to their advantage. 

I would have thought the same if she hadn't specifically called out 60% of sales as offroad capable (which is real bad wording, any of these trucks is offroad capable with the right tires, you don't need a Z71 package or Trail Boss trim to offroad, although I'm sure GM wants you to think that)

12 minutes ago, econometrics said:

Then again... I see a LOT of Z71 trucks around here. I mean, why not? You get dual exhaust and a 2-speed transfer case with it for barely much more $ and the same MPG. So why not. 

To be honest, I think the paint-matched grill and dual exhausts sells Z71 packages more than anything else. It's the easiest way to get the monochrome grill and dual exhausts, and most folks are buying 4WD anyways.

Good luck buying the ZR2.  Right now Trail Boss and AT4 are hard to find and deals are no where to be found. My neighbor was looking to buy a Trail Boss and local dealer has one in transit and 3 people ahead of him for it.

45 minutes ago, AirForceAngler said:

It's not a rumor.  I have a 2021 RST with the 6.2 and it's getting the same mileage, if not better, than my 2016 Suburban and my 2008 Silverado (both with 5.3s).  And does just fine on 87.  

Same here. I have a '19 LTZ 4x4 with the 6.2. The mileage is great for the size truck and power output. No complaints at all. I generally see 22mpg highway, and I've definitely seen a little more at times. I guess this debate is perhaps relative to where folks live(terrain) and how they drive.

Over all I like the design. The exterior seems a little bit soft in my opinion, but I think they evolved it best they could. I like the current(19-21) exterior better over all, but it had to change somewhere I suppose.

As far as engine options, I wish the 5.3 and 6.2 would have gotten a little bit of a power bump, but...alas. I'm preferable to N/A engine options. Seems a lot of folks enjoy the 2.7, and with a power bump, they'll enjoy it more. I never personally test drove one, so I can't say much on it really. If the 5.3 is offered with the 10spd, which I'm assuming it will be, that alone makes a huge difference. I test drove and almost bought a '20 Sierra with that combination and it felt like a different drive train having the 10spd in it versus the 8spd. They say they revamped the tuning on the 8spd, but still seems to me that the 10spd would be superior regardless. If anything, hopefully the 8spd feels better and they eliminate a lot of the common issues a lot of people have complaints on(hard shifts, lag, some reliability problems).

The interior is vastly improved and was much needed. I like my '19. It got a lot of knocks for the overall execution, but to me it does what I need and I don't really have much to complain about on it. I figured the console shifter was coming, and I like what they did. Personally, I'm glad they didn't go the push button route like the SUV's have. Having had a Honda pilot in years past that had push buttons for the drive selector, I hated it. Total pain and just didn't appeal to me. That's just my opinion, though. Also, that the newer tech is standard on LT and up....huge win. I'm curious what prices will be like, but I'm sure it'll be competitive. I've seen a few knocks about some of the safety tech, and I can understand why to a degree. At the same time, a lot of this I feel has been introduced on vehicles so simply aid in doing what a large number of drivers can't sometimes do, or what a lot simply don't/won't do because their phones or something else takes precedence. I'm not a perfect driver and have found myself doing the same on rare occasions, and if a vehicle can have tech that'll intervene and spare me some pain/aggravation or worse to allow me to get my head back to where it needs to be, I'm ok with this.

That super cruise, though...really cool. I'm not the High Country type, but if I was, it'd be a feature I'd definitely use and look foward to.

All in all, I think it seems to be a job well done. I'll get a better feel for in person, and I have no intention to drop my '19 for one, but if I did, at least I know the leap seems as though it would be worth it!