Tips on Buying GMC 2500 Diesel - I want to come back...

Ok, 

I want to come back to the GMC/Chevy family.  For over 20 years, I owned a 98 GMC Suburban, putting over 230k miles on it myself and LOVED the truck. I too owned a 2003 Chevy 1500...put many miles on it too.

I am looking at the GMC/Chevy 2500 series diesel trucks.  I will stay within the 2016-2019 year range, with about $35k plus'ish budget.  I might look at the 2021 trucks, only due to many deals/rebates etc. 

What suggestions or tips are out there for these trucks?  What should I watch out for and/or look at getting? 

So, a few years ago, I bought a 2015 Ram 1500 4x4 EcoDiesel Lonestar -- well, I have been disappointed with  Chrysler/Fiat (FCA).  Short story, they lied about the ecodiesel, and after forced recall ECM update, they sucked all performance etc., from the truck.  When I had my suburban, I never had so many recalls, been lied to, and never had poor performance.

Thanks, for any suggestions that you will provide.  Gary

A word of advice on buying a used truck, especially a diesel or any vehicle that appears to no be original.  A friend was telling me the horror story about a used private owner Silverado diesel his son purchased not long ago.  He a carpenter and found a used 2019 K2500 for sale and purchased it from the owner.  I guess he was having some issues and since it was still under warranty, he took it the Chevy dealer only to find out the warranty is blocked for ECM tampering.  Found that out when he took truck to Chevy dealer for some minor repair under warranty.