Truck took a hit

Well in the amount of time I've been driving I've had no accidents but my truck was hit lastnight while it was parked. The kid slammed it so hard it bounced about 15 to 20 feet forward. The bumper is caved in, the bed is bent and hit the back left corner of the cab, left rim is crushed in, the leaf spring is bent and the rear axle is forward of the bump stop about 6 inches. Figures I just put tires on it 2 weeks ago and started changing driveline fluids.  I'm wondering if insurance is going to fix this or total it out.  Any thoughts?

Screenshot_20211002-195344_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211002-195535_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211002-195705_Gallery.jpg

Edited by Chris828
  • Sad 3

Yeah here in NY it's 75% of the value to deem it a total loss. I'm just glad I wasn't in the truck when it happened and really glad my daughter wasn't either. Based on the security video I'm guessing the kid hit me at 40+ in his cobalt. 100% distracted driving when he didn't even attempt to slow down.

Screenshot_20211002-201623_Gallery.jpg

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, CamGTP said:

Hard to say with how much these trucks are still worth and pretty high amount it takes to total them.

If the frame is completely screwed they may deem that it's too much to fix.

Agreed!  If the axle mount(s) and bed mounts are broken, more than likely they’ll total your truck.  If they do fix it, be sure to get your cab fixed too, sometimes the repair places forget/overlook it.  

2 minutes ago, Chris828 said:

Yeah here in NY it's 75% of the value to deem it a total loss. I'm just glad I wasn't in the truck when it happened and really glad my daughter wasn't either. Based on the security video I'm guessing the kid hit me at 40+ in his cobalt. 100% distracted driving when he didn't even attempt to slow down.

Looks like his car is totaled. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chris828 said:

Yes he has insurance 

I would stay in close contact with your IC, just so you know exactly what his will offer for compensation. 

Do not know, but wonder if yours will take a look, to try and determine damage also.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, CamGTP said:

I think 40+ may be a tad high. I mean the A pillar isn't even crushed on his cobalt and the windshield is still doing good.

His windshield was busted, airbags deployed and as seen in the pic the whole front right is shot. In the video you can tell he was definitely going faster than the 30mph limit. The road is notorious for speeders upwards of double the limit.

• Like 1

Personal opinion is that the truck will not total, especially with the crazy inflated values of used vehicles right now.

Complete frames can be swapped out and not meet the 75% valuation required for total loss in some states.

Hopefully you have comprehensive insurance coverage. It's now time to make your agent and his employer go to work and recover those years of premiums you've been financing your insurance company with. It's now their job to get your truck repaired to your satisfaction.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CrawlSlow said:

Have your receipt for your tires handy. 

Good luck.

That won't matter, insurance only covers the stock configuration of the truck, depending on the level of insurance, of course.

3 hours ago, Enough said:

Personal opinion is that the truck will not total, especially with the crazy inflated values of used vehicles right now.

Complete frames can be swapped out and not meet the 75% valuation required for total loss in some states.

Hopefully you have comprehensive insurance coverage. It's now time to make your agent and his employer go to work and recover those years of premiums you've been financing your insurance company with. It's now their job to get your truck repaired to your satisfaction.

Yeah, a stock truck might be fixed ... once modified with different tires and a lift, well, it's a crapshoot ...

11 hours ago, Chris828 said:

Kids that text or whatever distracted them should ride the bus.

• Like 1

Been a few years back. Wife was rear ended while sitting at a red light. Distracted(texting) 17 year old driving moms car. He was going 45 mph and never touched the brakes. Wife still has body issues today from this.

We need tougher laws that deal with distracted accidents. Dream on they haven't dealt with the drunks yet (IMO) and that has been going on for years.

• Like 1