2016 90K maintenance round-up

Hey fellas, 

my current rig ('16 ltz 6.2, etc) Looking at the lineup of the many multiple boxes to check for a 90k+ service interval and need some input regarding some of the recommended changes.  The truck is at 108K but is a DD and not used for towing much, and I try to stay out of the fun pedal.  oil changed per system recommendations using Mobile1.

GM recommends: (i'm only showing what I need to do here)

- rotate tires.  I'll do that.

- air cleaner.  I'll do that. 

- spark plugs - Need help here.  What type of plugs have you tried and what works well with this engine?  

- tans fluid - I'll do this.  will be replacing myself due to the great content on this forum

- transfer case - I'll do this.  need to change but delaying because xfer case isnt used regularly. any best practices and experiences  recommended. 

- drain and fill engine cooling system - I'll do this.   truck was built in '16, it's '21, time for a flush and refill.  Don't expect much drama here and think I know what I'm doing.

- brake fluid - I'll do this.  I have never changed the brake fluid but will be upgrading the stockers to the Powerstop Z36 kit.  These stock brakes never performed like I wanted but I don't see the value in spending the high $$$ on the brembo kit for a truck with 108K on the OD.  If you'all have recommendations on this sutiation, i'd happily consider. 

- fuel filter - for the life of me, I can't find a guide on how to do this.  Any insight is appreciated. I'd like to do this on my own.

Cheers.

Sounds like you got it all under control.  I would also do the differentials if you plan on keeping it.

AMSOIL has cool Easy Packs that making changing the diff's fast and mess free.

It also comes in their transmission fluid, which makes changing out the transfer case easy as well.  You will need two qts to do your T case.

atlpk.jpg?context=bWFzdGVyfGltYWdlc3wxOD

• Like 2

Factory AC Delco spark plugs. The same part number of the plug you pull out should be the same plug you put back in. I think it's a 41-114 but double check that.

There is no fuel filter. The fuel pump has a filter on it and can not be serviced.

• Like 3

I dunno. I already know many here hate the damn dealer, but I've had great service with mine.
Took it in for the transmission fluid change and asked if they just do a drain and refill - I was told they do a total flush and replacement of fluids.
Also, my warranty has free oil changes (for the oil, it seems, not the labor) and, my last service with the transmission also included tire rotation, fluid top-offs for brake fluid - wasn't needed - and washer fluid as well as coolant - also, not needed.
They mentioned next time I bring it in, in January, they'll do the differential fluids as well as another oil service.
I've had them install all of my cameras - front, bed cam. tow mirror cams (and the tow mirrors), also, the new black wheels (from Chevy) for my 35s wherein the service tech noticed a small scratch on one of the wheels and fixed it for free.
I've bought nearly all of my add-ons from the Chevy website and I get a great product and someone to blame if it isn't.
The only exceptions are the lift, Billsteins, lockbox under the center front seat storage and headlights.
I like my dealer, sorry too many don't.

• Like 3

More people would like the dealership if their labor rates weren't so high in my opinion. And it seems every other year they hike them up another $5 an hour or more. I understand that shops get more costly to run year over year but some things don't sit right. Labor rates jump and if a part becomes 3% more expensive they will won't increase the cost to customer 3%, it will now be 8% to increase profit. I've worked on both sides, the mechanic and the person selling parts as well as tires to see how it goes.

Some places around here are $140 to $160 hour for labor rates. While the independent shops are $100-120 an hour. Even at the lower labor rate the small guys are still making decent money and can't get cars out the door fast enough.

We could go on and on about all this but we are going off topic here lol.

Edited by CamGTP
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, CamGTP said:

We could go on and on about all this but we are going off topic here lol.

I don't think I was off-topic.
Just offering a different experience regarding maintenance and the dealer experience.
I'd rather have the dealer do much of it, and be liable, than me doing it and have a mistake somewhere.
These are very complicated trucks, after all, and one misstep at home can cost one thousands later.

17 hours ago, Black02Silverado said:

Sounds like you got it all under control.  I would also do the differentials if you plan on keeping it.

AMSOIL has cool Easy Packs that making changing the diff's fast and mess free.

It also comes in their transmission fluid, which makes changing out the transfer case easy as well.  You will need two qts to do your T case.

atlpk.jpg?context=bWFzdGVyfGltYWdlc3wxOD

Yessir.  Thanks for the links and I'm planning on keeping the truck.  It's been reliable thus far *knocks on wood*.  It's a Canadian truck but has spent 100k of its life with me in GA/SC so I expect the heat takes a toll on my fluids.  

DM sent on the AMSOIL products.  Is there anywhere I can pick it up in the Charleston SC area?  I have a road trip coming up and would love to get this knocked out today or one evening this week.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, diyer2 said:

If someone isn't comfortable doing fluid services I get that. But fluid services are easy IMO and I get to pick, upgrade the fluid. 

Exactly.  Recent quote from the dealership that I use is $540 for the trans filter and fluid.  I like the peace of mind of them doing the work but now that my warranty is out, it doesn't make much sense to just throw money at them when one of us that is capable and has the time can do it themselves, save the money, and acquire the knowledge to do these repairs in the future. 

Question to you fellas:

If the truck is now at 108k miles, and I've serviced the trans per GM recommendations to date (more or less), and I want to keep the truck, how often - going forward - should I change the trans fluid and filter?

every 20k / 30k?

FWIW - I'm planning to start using the AMSOIL trans fluid.

48 minutes ago, dp454so said:

Question to you fellas:

If the truck is now at 108k miles, and I've serviced the trans per GM recommendations to date (more or less), and I want to keep the truck, how often - going forward - should I change the trans fluid and filter?

every 20k / 30k?

FWIW - I'm planning to start using the AMSOIL trans fluid.

I changed my driveline fluids at 30k. I plan on changing it all every 30k for as long as I have it.

Edited by steelerdude15
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, NWI Denali said:

If it makes you sleep better at night that's fine, but that is Overkill and a complete waste of money. 

What intervals do you recommend for an 8L90 with 108k on the odo? 

6 hours ago, NWI Denali said:

If it makes you sleep better at night that's fine, but that is Overkill and a complete waste of money. 

I want to do everything I can maintenance wise to keep this running as long as possible. Since I do my own work, it doesn’t cost a lot to buy everything. 

I’ll also say this. By 30k, my transmission fluid was cooked because it ran too hot. My rear dif fluid was as black as could be. I wanted to get that old fluid out and get fresh fluid in there. 

Edited by steelerdude15
  • Like 1