In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

2020 Denali 22” replacement tires

I have a 2020 Denali with the 22” tires. To say I am disappointed in the performance of the tires would be an understatement. It has trouble coping with 2” of snow on a slight slope. It now has 3900 miles on it and with winter coming on I don’t want to go through another winter with these junk tires. I had a 2000 Sonoma highrider with 15” x 33 BFGs and never worried about the weather. The truck isn’t leveled which I think may limit my choices. I don’t believe I can put BFGs on the 22”s without doing some drastic lift. I am seriously considering a leveling kit but not sure what I should go with.  I am also considering 18” wheels so I could go with a decent tire such as BFG KOs. Any suggestions or help is welcome as I am basically new to the Sierra. Thank you. 

On my Chev I have a set of winter tires/rims (18") that I put on for the winter. Living at 7000' and driving in the mountains it makes a huge difference. I agree the factory 22" tires are not very good in the snow.

Jay

Get a set of takeoffs and put some snows on them.  You won't trash your nice wheels and you can just swap them on and off before and after winter.

Finding 17"s or 18"s should be pretty easy from a 2019+up new body truck.  TrailBoss/AT4 would make a good option for takeoffs as many of them have Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs already on them. 

Your closest match for the speedo without going to some big honking tire would be 275/70R17, 275/65R18 and 275/70R18.

Its pretty clear from the tread on those 22" that they are a 3 season tire.  

ALSO...stock 275/50R22 tires are 33" diameter, so a 33" tire on any stock wheel size should fit, so long as its not too much wider.  275 wide is a sure fit, you might be able to go 285 wide on stock wheels either 17, 18 or 20 inch.  

Edited by newdude

Michelin makes the Defender LTX in that size, they are a great tire for all year round use.

If your truck came with Michelin Premier LTX's they are pure garbage in my eyes. They are a super nice ride but that's all you get, they spin in the wet with enough power and suck balls in the snow.

My other suggesting for a stock size tire for the 22's are the Pirelli Scorpion Verde AS Plus2 or 3, they are good all around tires too.

I find it interesting that All Terrain tire options are limited for these trucks.  The short sidewall must make the manufacturers  nervous. Having said that, there are quite a few 22" wheels delivered on these trucks, so you'd think there would be more options.

BFG does have a 22" AT tire, it's available in 33X12.5R22.  However I don't think there's 12.5" available for tire width on these trucks.  I'd very much like to be proved wrong.  I'd like to see pics of a 33X12.5R22 on a stock level, if anyone has done that. 

Nitto 285/55r22 options that fit are available, for a more AT stance than the Michelin Defender. I've also read that the Nitto 305/45r22 fits stock, as well

7 hours ago, bwoodsmn said:

I find it interesting that All Terrain tire options are limited for these trucks.  The short sidewall must make the manufacturers  nervous. Having said that, there are quite a few 22" wheels delivered on these trucks, so you'd think there would be more options.

BFG does have a 22" AT tire, it's available in 33X12.5R22.  However I don't think there's 12.5" available for tire width on these trucks.  I'd very much like to be proved wrong.  I'd like to see pics of a 33X12.5R22 on a stock level, if anyone has done that. 

Nitto 285/55r22 options that fit are available, for a more AT stance than the Michelin Defender. I've also read that the Nitto 305/45r22 fits stock, as well

There aren't many AT options because a low profile AT tire on 22" wheels makes zero sense.  22" wheels usually get a street tire.  There are many options for those.

The OP started this with a complaint about snow performance. The issue with the 22" street tires in this case is the snow performance.  I don't think many on this forum would go serious off-roading with 22's.  Low profile 22's with an aggressive tread make more sense in a snow environment.  There are *not* many options for those.

Thanks a lot for the input. I am thinking about going with a set for the winter and thinking about takeoffs. Really not sure if they did anything with the brakes on a 22” truck that would hurt me if I went down to an 18” or 20”from an AT4, I don’t want to run spacers.  Sounds like I’d be ok. 
CamGTP - the tires are the Bridgestone Alenza and it sounds like they are as bad or maybe worse than the Michelins you mentioned. 
One other question - when you swap tires/wheels, does the sensors automatically sync with the computer or do I have to invest in an overpriced tpms tool? So far the dealership has been covering the maintenance but I’ll be doing it next oil change which means tire rotation. 
Thanks in advance. 

12 hours ago, bwoodsmn said:

I have 285/55/r22 Nitto ridge Grapplers on my stock 22” wheel with spacers and a 3.5 inch lift and I still had to modify the inner fender and the mud guards for them to fit. I was planning on going with 285/50/r22 (I would still need to do modifications with this size as well) but there were only 2 AT tire options worth purchasing in that size. I did a ton of research before my lift and tire purchase and what I learned is not all tire manufacturers have the same exact sized tire even tho they say “285/55/r22”. They will range from 33.5”- 34.5”. That 1 inch may seem small but it’s the difference between your tire clearing or rubbing in places it should not touch. 285/55 and 285/50 from my experience will not fit a stock height Denali. (I own a 2021 Denali 1500)

C2E3ED9F-22F5-4BC2-BF1D-BBCC26163A08.jpeg

On 10/27/2021 at 10:37 PM, CamGTP said:

Michelin makes the Defender LTX in that size, they are a great tire for all year round use.

If your truck came with Michelin Premier LTX's they are pure garbage in my eyes. They are a super nice ride but that's all you get, they spin in the wet with enough power and suck balls in the snow.

My other suggesting for a stock size tire for the 22's are the Pirelli Scorpion Verde AS Plus2 or 3, they are good all around tires too.

I agree with the Michelin Defender LTX, they are great in winter conditions.

19 hours ago, TinIndian69 said:

Thanks a lot for the input. I am thinking about going with a set for the winter and thinking about takeoffs. Really not sure if they did anything with the brakes on a 22” truck that would hurt me if I went down to an 18” or 20”from an AT4, I don’t want to run spacers.  Sounds like I’d be ok. 
CamGTP - the tires are the Bridgestone Alenza and it sounds like they are as bad or maybe worse than the Michelins you mentioned. 
One other question - when you swap tires/wheels, does the sensors automatically sync with the computer or do I have to invest in an overpriced tpms tool? So far the dealership has been covering the maintenance but I’ll be doing it next oil change which means tire rotation. 
Thanks in advance. 

I think the spare under your truck will be a 17" rim -- which would answer your brake size concern

QAQ Tire, spare 255/80R17SL all-season, blackwall
1 - Included and only available with (QAB) 275/60R20 all-season, blackwall tires.
2 - Included and only available with 20" or 22" wheels and tires.

Standard on Denali

Note 1 = base truck

Note 2 = SLE/Elevation/SLT/AT4

(The other 'spares' used are also on 17" rims.)