2021 Sierra Frame wax gone

JayinNH

F6F2838A-8932-4AD6-A4B9-BD16BD3D4F03.thumb.jpeg.9264e71b4eed81df7aa876c58f775656.jpegHello all,

I wanted to post a picture of what has happened to my frame. It’s on the passenger side behind the tire. The coating is gone right to the bare frame. I put a coating of PB Blaster Surface Shield over everything under the truck about a month ago for an undercoating. This is the only area of the frame where this happened. 

My first question is do you think the undercoating did something to the frame wax?

Second does undercoating the frame and under carriage void the warranty? 
Third…. Am I screwed? Is this going to happen over the entire frame?

has anyone seen this before?

sorry about the pic being upside down. I can’t get it to upload correctly 

Thanks 

Well... You're not supposed to undercoat a waxed frame unless you completely strip and paint it.  Any kind of petroleum based product will soften and remove the coating.  GM does have recommended repair procedures.

8 minutes ago, calgator73 said:

Well... You're not supposed to undercoat a waxed frame unless you completely strip and paint it.  Any kind of petroleum based product will soften and remove the coating.  GM does have recommended repair procedures.

Thanks for the reply. It doesn’t say it’s petroleum based anywhere on the can. It says it’s lanolin based. I would have never used it if it is petroleum based. It also doesn’t say on the can not use on a waxed frame or specify not to use on GM frame. If it makes the wax deteriorate in anyway one would think they would have it on the can. 

The PB Blaster did that.  Stuff like that and Fluid Film eat the coating and deteriorates the crap out of it.  If you've already sprayed the rest of the frame, the rest of the wax stands a chance of doing the same exact thing.  

The only thing that you really should put on to reinforce the wax, is the same product.  Dauber Nox Rust 121B which is the wax GM uses.  

You can put the PB on all the sheetmetal if you want all day long so inside the box, under the box floor, the rockers, floorboards, etc., just not on the frame.  

Link to the Daubert 121B - Daubert Chemical: Daubert Store :: Nox-Rust® X-121B

Edited by newdude
  • Like 3

Also, the stuff you used does contain petroleum.

Here is the Safety Data Sheet right from PB's website:

Aerosol - MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET (blasterproducts.com)   First main ingredient that's not an aerosol additive/gas?  Petrolatum (petroleum jelly).  Note the low Lanolin and wool wax content.  

Gallon pail - MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET (blasterproducts.com)    First ingredient?  Petroleum jelly at 45-70% of the chemical makeup of it.  Lanolin and wool wax make up only 10-20% of it.   

Edited by newdude

12 minutes ago, newdude said:

Also, the stuff you used does contain petroleum.

Here is the Safety Data Sheet right from PB's website:

Aerosol - MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET (blasterproducts.com)   First main ingredient that's not an aerosol additive/gas?  Petrolatum (petroleum jelly).

Gallon pail - MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET (blasterproducts.com)    First ingredient?  Petroleum jelly at 45-70% of the chemical makeup of it.  Lanolin and wool wax make up only 10-20% of it.   

Thanks newdude. I guess I have to order some of that wax to fix it. They should really put it on the can that is petroleum based and don’t use on was coated frames. 

Edited by JayinNH

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix the problem I have now since this is all over my frame?

should I spray the wax back over it? Or will that make it worse? 

Edited by JayinNH
Add to post

I would actually think a light pressure washing would help remove the stuff that has already failed. Anything that’s wrinkled like the wax near the peeled off area should wash right off and then re-apply. Leaving that crinkled up stuff on there is only going to give a nice place for salt to sneak in behind, IMO. Either way it’s gonna take some doing at this point…

Possibly a degreaser that doesn't have petroleum in it to remove the PB blaster? with an hose to rinse off the degreaser and PB blaster and then dry with air and re-wax what is needed?

At this point,  the warranty is probably gone on the frame.  

1 hour ago, OnTheReel said:

I would actually think a light pressure washing would help remove the stuff that has already failed. Anything that’s wrinkled like the wax near the peeled off area should wash right off and then re-apply. Leaving that crinkled up stuff on there is only going to give a nice place for salt to sneak in behind, IMO. Either way it’s gonna take some doing at this point…

I agree with this.  For me, I'd start fresh.  ie, remove as much wax/PB as possible and put on a new coating of wax or fluid film

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JayinNH said:

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix the problem I have now since this is all over my frame?

should I spray the wax back over it? Or will that make it worse? 

If you are in New Hampshire like your name says, why not just go to "NHOU Undercoatings"?