6 Speed Transmission Hack Now an official GM procedure

rav3

On 11/5/2021 at 3:55 PM, newdude said:

The new t-stat is good, but its 5 years too late.  They should have had this from when these 2014's came out.  

This is a great option however, for those that want to have the thermostat especially for winter operations.  Running cooler is good, but running too cool (winter) could potentially lead to moisture concerns in the fluid (think GM 8 speed fluid where the prior formulas were too absorbing of water).  

Driving hard in my Sure Cool'd 6L80 on a hot day, I can get it to maybe 170F but no hotter.  The new stat should perform somewhat similarly when its opened.  

Also, one thing to take note, at some point in 2015 GM stopped flowing the trans through the radiator and the cooler.  Late 2015's its trans straight out to the cooler that is part of the condenser.  2014 to early 2015 its trans to the engine radiator, then to the aux cooler, so those trucks with a t-stat delete would still run warmer than a late 2015-2018 and 2019 LD.

How cool is too cool for winter driving?

34 minutes ago, newdude said:

I'd say if it never gets over 95F.  Basically if you do nothing but short trips, it could lead to moisture not burning off.  

This was kind of my concern as well after the pill flip. Not as much about the moisture as I wasnt even aware about that. But the idea that in much colder weather, the fluid would be slow to warm up enough if it even did for shifting. In warmer weather, wasnt too worried but colder winter weather did have me a bit concerned and that's why I was slow to do the original mod. I guess now I will never know as the new 158⁰ thermostat is installed. Most of my daily driving consists of a few runs of maybe 2 to 3 miles max. It isn't until some weekends where I end up with a a couple nice 55-60 mile or more drives. 

Edited by mikeyk101
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, steelerdude15 said:

How cool is too cool for winter driving?

39 minutes ago, newdude said:

I'd say if it never gets over 95F.  Basically if you do nothing but short trips, it could lead to moisture not burning off.  

That's cooler than I would have thought. Think I saw 104 F as a 'trigger' in a tuning table 1SLOW1500 showed once. 

Unlike the motor 'moisture' is not generated in a transmission as a combustion byproduct. It's absorbed from the atmosphere.  Here's a pretty good writeup from Machinery Lubrication on that topic. 

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/192/water-contaminant-oil

Some moisture is present in ALL lubricating fluids. The object of the game is controlling/limiting the concentration levels.

The easiest and most effect way of controlling its concentration is by regular fluid exchange. Take a breath.... the severe schedule in your manual is normally often enough. 45K. Personally, I do a partial every 25K. Color is a good indicator. Hazy is approaching the danger point. 

• Like 6

All of the concerns would be eliminated if you change the fluid IMO. Short cold trips, switch to a 100% synthetic. Red Line?

If you use semi synthetic fluid, 25 k exchange? Using 100% synthetic, 40 -50 k?

Me and Grumpy have preached more fluid changes are good. Has worked for me for along time. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, newdude said:

25 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

That's cooler than I would have thought. Think I saw 104 F as a 'trigger' in a tuning table 1SLOW1500 showed once. 

Unlike the motor 'moisture' is not generated in a transmission as a combustion byproduct. It's absorbed from the atmosphere.  Here's a pretty good writeup from Machinery Lubrication on that topic. 

Some moisture is present in ALL lubricating fluids. The object of the game is controlling/limiting the concentration levels.

The easiest and most effect way of controlling its concentration is by regular fluid exchange. Take a breath.... the severe schedule in your manual is normally often enough. 45K. Personally, I do a partial every 25K. Color is a good indicator. Hazy is approaching the danger point. 

6 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

All of the concerns would be eliminated if you change the fluid IMO. Short cold trips, switch to a 100% synthetic. Red Line?

If you use semi synthetic fluid, 25 k exchange? Using 100% synthetic, 40 -50 k?

Me and Grumpy have preached more fluid changes are good. Has worked for me for along time. 

Thanks for the info guys. I have done the pill flip and on back roads my transmission fluid temperature reaches 126F whether its cold or hot out. I just wanted to make sure that 126F wasn't too cold.

I also changed my fluid and filter at 30,000 miles. I'm currently just shy of 36,000. I plan on changing my transmission fluid and filter every 30,000 miles.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Good stuff Grumpy.

In all honesty, I was just spit balling a #.  

• Like 1

On 11/6/2021 at 6:48 PM, M1ck3y said:

This makes absolutely zero sense. I mean that gm is doing this now...

they use this thermostat in all the trannies, with the old thermostat design GM was getting hammered with warrantee claims. trans failing to early 40,000-70,000 miles, this lower temp upgrade will fix that

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, pokismoki said:

they use this thermostat in all the trannies, with the old thermostat design GM was getting hammered with warrantee claims. trans failing to early 40,000-70,000 miles, this lower temp upgrade will fix that

Thanks Poki, but yes I'm aware of the problems.

What I'm trying to comprehend is why would gm fix this now. The 6 speed is no longer produced, current vehicles are out of warranty or will be out warranty soon.

They've obviously known it was a problem from the start. Or rather, I hope they have. Because the alternative means the internet knows gm's products better than they do themselves.

If anything this just provides fuel for someone looking at persuing a lawsuit. 

Hence, this makes no sense...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, M1ck3y said:

What I'm trying to comprehend is why would gm fix this now. The 6 speed is no longer produced, current vehicles are out of warranty or will be out warranty soon.

They've obviously known it was a problem from the start. Or rather, I hope they have. Because the alternative means the internet knows gm's products better than they do themselves.

It's a good question and one we may never know the answer to.

4 hours ago, M1ck3y said:

GM still uses that thermostat in the late model trannies, same part  with lower temp, is a direct fit for the 6 speed i have to guess.

you cant persue a lawsuit , judge will throw it out of court. That high temp is part of improving fuel consumption, and that's mandated by EPA and the Feds.

28 minutes ago, pokismoki said:

GM still uses that thermostat in the late model trannies, same part  with lower temp, is a direct fit for the 6 speed i have to guess.

you cant persue a lawsuit , judge will throw it out of court. That high temp is part of improving fuel consumption, and that's mandated by EPA and the Feds.

Yes, the 6l80 is the late model trans in the tsb.

EPA requirements are irrelevant concerning warranty and/or denied warranty. GM failed to recognize a fault with their product, or they did know and failed to correct it. Until now..

It just pisses me off the way big corporation's operate. They can and do get away with anything, or at least until someone with a bigger wig comes along. Then its just a pissing contest between a whole bunch of big wigs. Millions thrown away in court battle's, instead of someone doing the right thing and taking responsibility. It's all about money how much it costs to get away with it and how it make's them look as a company. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, newdude said:

Good stuff Grumpy.

In all honesty, I was just spit balling a #.  

Then I wouldn't want to play darts with you if you get that close winging it! :crackup:

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Haha 1

Remember the Pinto gas tank? They knew it was a poor design. Paid all the fines and still made millions on that car. You have to accept the fact that the public is no more than a source of revenue for every business and branch of government.

We are a wallet and everyone wants to get in it.  

Then add the lawyers. The deck is stacked against us.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, M1ck3y said:

It just pisses me off the way big corporation's operate. They can and do get away with anything, or at least until someone with a bigger wig comes along. Then its just a pissing contest between a whole bunch of big wigs. Millions thrown away in court battle's, instead of someone doing the right thing and taking responsibility. It's all about money how much it costs to get away with it and how it make's them look as a company.

30 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

Remember the Pinto gas tank? They knew it was a poor design. Paid all the fines and still made millions on that car. You have to accept the fact that the public is no more than a source of revenue for every business and branch of government.

We are a wallet and everyone wants to get in it.  

Then add the lawyers. The deck is stacked against us.

Received a recall notice for the A pillar air bag telling me it's faulty and could KILL me. Then told me that they haven't any parts for the fix and they will get back to me when they do.............

No mention the owner should park it. That they will supply a loaner or rental until it's fixed. To come in and have it disabled.

Just a ''Get out of Jail" notice that takes them off the hook for my death until they get 'around to it'. 

I put it in the file where things like, 'Picking up a nail in your tire may cause a flat that leads to loss of control and fatality' file. Right next to "Driving on roads with idiots speeding and reading their phone may kill you!" file. 

They removed hood ornaments they may flail the flesh from your body when the two ton vehicle that hit you didn't finish you off then load a gun and point it at your head and say. "Caution, we've pointed a loaded gun at your head". 

:wtf:

It isn't love for fellow man commerce is full of now is it?

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 2