2021 Silverado Trail boss for 6.2 with Borla S type exhaust contacted Borla about quitting it down a little bit so I can pass New York State inspection I can’t believe they said take it to a custom muffler shop they can do something for you Borla is no help whatsoever 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

When I lived in New Jersey in the seventies the exhaust-noise law’s were pretty restricted. You had to go to an inspection building to get a sticker. In the later 70s they were allowing secondary inspection at garages. Where I live in Texas it’s pretty much pollution and safety. Iv had some pretty loud exhaust and passed. 

I can’t believe they said take it to a custom muffler shop they can do something for you Borla is no help whatsoever 

Confused. Quieting it down? 

Where would you take it? Jiffy Lube?

4 hours ago, Dh669 said:

2021 Silverado Trail boss for 6.2 with Borla S type exhaust contacted Borla about quitting it down a little bit so I can pass New York State inspection I can’t believe they said take it to a custom muffler shop they can do something for you Borla is no help whatsoever 

It did not pass or do you think it will not pass inspection?  Not even with a Benjamin?  

I thank the Lord every so often that we don't have that crap down here in Florida anymore.  

For those interested, a link to the SLEEP Act.  Was written and sponsored by 7 downstate NYC area losers but managed to make it a STATE law:

NY State Senate Bill S784B (nysenate.gov)

To me, the sections below are a total grey area:

"Mufflers and exhaust systems. Prevention of noise. (A) Every motor vehicle, operated or driven upon the highways of the state, shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler and exhaust system in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise and no such muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cut-out, bypass, or similar device. No person shall modify the muffler or exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor or exhaust system of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler or exhaust system EXPLANATION--Matter in ITALICS (underscored) is new; matter in brackets

[ ] is old law to be omitted. LBD01833-11-1 S. 784--B 2 originally installed on the vehicle and such original muffler and exhaust system shall comply with all the requirements of this section.

(B) NO PERSON SHALL, IN THE STATE, SELL, OFFER FOR SALE OR INSTALL ANY OF THE FOLLOWING FOR THE MUFFLER OR EXHAUST SYSTEM OF A MOTOR VEHICLE: A CUT-OUT, BYPASS, OR A SIMILAR DEVICE WHICH WILL AMPLIFY OR INCREASE THE NOISE EMITTED BY THE MOTOR OR EXHAUST SYSTEM OF SUCH VEHICLE ABOVE THAT EMITTED BY THE MUFFLER OR EXHAUST SYSTEM ORIGINALLY INSTALLED ON THE VEHICLE."

So.  It says no person shall modify the muffler or exhaust system to amplify or increase the noise emitted from the originally installed system.  YET.  Subsection B states that you can't sell or install cut-outs, bypasses or similar devices that can amplify noise.  

Who writes these laws?  Because subsection B doesn't clearly and specifically state catback exhausts or replacement mufflers.  So what gives?  They didn't write it to ban the sale of catback exhausts because those still contain a muffler, which is what it all seems to circle back to.    

The header:

JUSTIFICATION: An increasing number of car and motorcycle enthusiasts are making modifications to the muffler and exhaust systems of vehicles, in order to increase the noise and pollution levels emitted. This trend is lead- ing to multiple noise complaints, especially from residents in areas where illegal street drag racing takes place. Excessive noise is not simply an annoyance or inconvenience; the World Health Organization has labeled it an "underestimated threat," and in a country where one in four people will suffer from loss of hearing, it represents an undue burden on people that do not have the resources to protect themselves from it.

Current law allows for a maximum of a $150 fine for after-market violations to muffler and exhaust systems. Not only is this a relatively small amount when compared to other states, it is also not enough of a deterrent to many who are spending far more money to make modifications to their vehicles. This bill would increase the maximum fine to $1,000 in order to create a larger deterrent to this behavior.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 11/26/2021 at 3:46 PM, flattop said:

Is this new noise law specific to NY and Manhattan counties only?

The whole state.  Goes into effect April 1st.  They are going to enforce it via NYS vehicle inspection, so it will be interesting to see what the regulations consider as fail.  

On 11/25/2021 at 5:53 AM, Dh669 said:

Does Borla sell just the muffler for your exhaust?  Downgrade it to the Touring model muffler.  

That's some BS right there.  How can they prove that it didn't come that way from the factory?  Or that it's louder than the factory?  Is there going to be a dB database for all cars?  You're innocent until proven guilty.

Edited by TxTruckMan
  • Like 1

On 11/29/2021 at 10:24 AM, newdude said:

Does Borla sell just the muffler for your exhaust?  Downgrade it to the Touring model muffler.  

On 11/29/2021 at 10:24 AM, newdude said:

s type exhaust is 3 1/2 touring is 3 inch