Factory Idle Time-Out Solution

Gangly

Found this TSB released last month stating there is a factory offered "fix" for those who want to do away with the idle time-out.

#21-NA-228: Full Size Trucks Idle Time-out Disable - (Oct 21, 2021)

Involved Region or Country

United State, Canada, Mexico, Middle East, Israel, Palestine

Additional Options (RPOs)

BTM

Condition

Some customers may comment that currently if the vehicle is left parked and running with the RKE transmitter outside the vehicle, it will continue to run for up to half an hour. If the vehicle is left parked and running with the RKE transmitter inside the vehicle, it will continue to run for up to an hour.

Cause

This condition may be caused by GM PEPS vehicles were designed with an idle time-out.

Correction

In certain situations, the customer will request that this feature be turned off because they need to extend their idle time. A calibration is available to eliminate the idle time out feature. If this calibration is installed, the dealer will need to print the Owner’s Agreement Statement attached in this bulletin and put it with the Owner’s Manual. This is a customer pay repair. The vehicle owner is responsible to be aware of any local ordinances that restrict prolong idling.

Important: The following needs to be a separate page in the bulletin and the dealer will have to print it out and place it in the glove compartment or Owner's Manual.

When the vehicle was produced, it came with the auto-shutdown feature enabled. If you are not the primary owner of your vehicle, please note that this feature may have been disabled by a previous owner. The vehicle owner is responsible for being aware of and complying with any local ordinances that may restrict prolonged idling. The vehicle owner can have this feature re-enabled at owner cost at any GM service center.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Gangly said:

Found this TSB released last month stating there is a factory offered "fix" for those who want to do away with the idle time-out.

#21-NA-228: Full Size Trucks Idle Time-out Disable - (Oct 21, 2021)

Involved Region or Country

United State, Canada, Mexico, Middle East, Israel, Palestine

Additional Options (RPOs)

BTM

Condition

Some customers may comment that currently if the vehicle is left parked and running with the RKE transmitter outside the vehicle, it will continue to run for up to half an hour. If the vehicle is left parked and running with the RKE transmitter inside the vehicle, it will continue to run for up to an hour.

Cause

This condition may be caused by GM PEPS vehicles were designed with an idle time-out.

Correction

In certain situations, the customer will request that this feature be turned off because they need to extend their idle time. A calibration is available to eliminate the idle time out feature. If this calibration is installed, the dealer will need to print the Owner’s Agreement Statement attached in this bulletin and put it with the Owner’s Manual. This is a customer pay repair. The vehicle owner is responsible to be aware of any local ordinances that restrict prolong idling.

Important: The following needs to be a separate page in the bulletin and the dealer will have to print it out and place it in the glove compartment or Owner's Manual.

When the vehicle was produced, it came with the auto-shutdown feature enabled. If you are not the primary owner of your vehicle, please note that this feature may have been disabled by a previous owner. The vehicle owner is responsible for being aware of and complying with any local ordinances that may restrict prolonged idling. The vehicle owner can have this feature re-enabled at owner cost at any GM service center.

Thank you for posting this!!!

Interesting. I didn't catch that "feature" in the owners manual, but there it is, "Extended Parking" with the timeouts listed. Good to know. I'm fairly certain I hate RKE/rfid fob stuff now. Gimme a dang key, and if I start the vehicle, I intend to leave it running until I shut it off! That's been the worst feature of this new truck.

• Like 1

I can see both sides on this.  It would be nice if it was owner selected (I.e. free).

I had an Impala with push button start.  I took a family member to the hospital.  Dropped off at ER and then went to park my car.  In my hurry to get back in the hospital, I did not shut off my car properly.  I did notice that when I hit the button to lock the doors that I didn’t get the right “beep” but I didn’t realize that meant the car was still running and, like I said, I wasn’t fully in my right mind.  Well, after 6 hours in the hospital, I came out to my car running.  I guess they didn’t have that feature back then (2015).  I think the option is well intended, but it shouldn’t cost money to knowingly override it.

• 2 weeks later...

Def going to be looking into this ASAP. I go direct to calls from time to time at my fire department and being able to not have to worry about the truck shutting off while on the side of the road which in turn kicks off my lights, would be great. Plus on those cold days, truck stays warm while we are out.

Thank you so much for sharing this! I had to pay $255.00 for this here in Canada but now my long distance remote start will keep the truck running up to 45 minutes. Why so long some may ask? Well is is below -30c here this week and 15 minutes doesn’t even get the motor warm let alone the interior. And the factory remote is good for about 200 feet. In hind sight for what I paid for the remote start  I could have subscribed to onstar for about 5 years but I hate monthly payments. Will definitely think about it for the next one but for now I am very happy. Now to just find a way to disable stabilicrap……..

On 12/2/2021 at 12:05 AM, GN2018 said:

I can see both sides on this.  It would be nice if it was owner selected (I.e. free).

I had an Impala with push button start.  I took a family member to the hospital.  Dropped off at ER and then went to park my car.  In my hurry to get back in the hospital, I did not shut off my car properly.  I did notice that when I hit the button to lock the doors that I didn’t get the right “beep” but I didn’t realize that meant the car was still running and, like I said, I wasn’t fully in my right mind.  Well, after 6 hours in the hospital, I came out to my car running.  I guess they didn’t have that feature back then (2015).  I think the option is well intended, but it shouldn’t cost money to knowingly override it.

I friend was telling me a similar story with her elderly (80's) aunt and push button start.  She had went grocery shopping and when she came home she was tired so she called her niece who lives a block away. Mary was saying she went right over to help Nancy unload the groceries. Upon entering the garage she found the car was still running, some 10-20 min after she arrived home. Nancy being hard of hearing did not hear the horn honk when she left the vehicle.  I am not sure if the new 2021 Jeep SUV's have the time out feature but it could have been a real catastrophe had the engine continued to run killing anyone in the home with carbon monoxide.  I hate the push button start.. I recall my dads first car had push button start, a 1950 Chevrolet but they still had a key. We have come full circle now everyone thinks that new technology.  LOL

• 3 weeks later...

So i had this TSB completed on my truck last Monday...much to my disappointment, it didn't work. I reached on one of the FB groups, and someone posted this TSB that they said worked. I'm going to contact my dealer and see if they can give this one a try. Just as a heads up for anyone else looking to do this.

tsb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Morning all...I had the dealer do the above TSB(21-NA-056) and I can confirm it worked. I did have to pay for the program from GM and apparently GM Tech gave the dealer somewhat of a hard time about getting it but they were able to get GM to give it to them. Just thought i'd give an update for anyone debating on doing this.

59 minutes ago, AJMBLAZER said:

Mind if I ask what it cost?

The first time I went, the dealer only charged me labor which was $75. This time there was a charge from GM for the programming files and that was $100 but they didn't charge me labor for it so I'm in for $175 total.

If you have a key I don't believe it matters, the auto stop feature will still shut it down.  If you notice your key is more of a button than anything.  You don't have to hold the key in the start position until it starts, if you just blip it, the starter stays running until it's started anyway.