Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Cylinder 6 Failure $11k repair bill!!


Recommended Posts

Hi all, 

 

A few weeks ago I got a misfire on my 2016 Silverado, 5.3 V8, 65,000 miles. Chevrolet has diagnosed it as a lifter failure on cylinder 6 (lifter stuck in bore). They have quoted me $11k for a new engine! When I asked why they can’t just replace the lifter, they said that that wasn’t an option. 
 

My usual independent mechanic doesn’t won’t to touch it as he fears there will be subsequent issues with the computer/AFM system. He also isn’t able to source a new engine for me as his supplier doesn’t have any available. 
 

I’m stuck on what to do, I do not want to pay $11k for a new engine and would much rather just replace the lifter. I was already planning on selling the vehicle before this happened so just want to get it fixed up and sold/traded. 
 

Does anyone have any advice on what my next steps should be, or have a recommendation for a mechanic in mid-Tennessee that could do the work? 
 

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Since your gonna sell it. Just purchase the afm lifters and associated gaskets to make the repair. A cam would be a good idea. Should be around 4-600 bucks. Them find a shade tree mech to make the swap for 600 bucks. You'll get your money back with thus ridiculous used market. 

 

Finally post it for sale less the info on swapped lifters and possibly cam

  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have not had this issue myself but have watch many Youtube videos on the AFM issues & failed lifters. It's my understanding that there are several possible issues, from bad lifter, to bent push rods or destroyed cam & lifter. 

 

You really need to have a good independent mechanic to inspect your engine. It may be a simpler fix than engine replacement. I've seen guys actually do an AFM delete that doesn't cost near what was quoted to you.

 

Network with your buddies/friends for a good honest reputable independent shop to check it out for you.

 

Keep us posted on your situation. Here's a video that might help understand the issue.

Collapsed Lifter 5.3 DOD / AFM Silverado & Sierra Replacement, Install, Symptoms, Diagnosing, Noise

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dealer told you that fixing it wasn't an option?  Did the cam go?  Bottom end?

 

If its just cylinder 6 lifters that collapsed and nothing else, it just needs new AFM lifters on that whole bank, head bolts, gaskets, fuel pipes and a VLOM (for insurance) and you'd have it up and running again.  If the lifter trashed the cam, it needs a cam too.  No reason to replace the engine if a lifter or two and the cam are trash.

 

Edited by newdude
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So your asking for advise... When you should be talking to the dealership, to find out why exactly you can't just replace the lifters. 

 

I'm struggling to understand how you think people on here will know what to do anymore then you do. Either you don't know the whole story or you do but don't like how it ends.

Edited by M1ck3y
Link to comment
Share on other sites

He said the dealer told him that the lifter is stuck in the lifter bore and they will not try to remove it, so they will just suggest a whole new engine.

 

On my parents truck they had a cylinder 7 failure and that lifter got stuck in the bore too. I just used a giant pair of vise grips and like 5-10min on pulling up and rocking the lifter to get it out. It left no damage to the bore either once I got it out and the new lifter went right in with zero issues. This problem can happen.

 

You could also probably slowly heat up the lifter bore on the outside with a propane torch on low to help the metal expand and the lifter would hopefully come out easier. But I doubt that place you took it is going to do that now.

Edited by CamGTP
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Right, so the op doesn't like the answer.

 

Unless I'm mistaken, you haven't seen how stuck the lifter is, or what everything looks like. Perhaps you should fix it? It seems to be the aim of the thread.

 

I'm sorry, it just seems apparent to me what options are available. A thread started here is just a cry for someone else to do it for them.

 

The op is aware that other shops could potentially do the work. Aware that engine replacement is an option, and aware that they can't/won't do the work themselves.

 

They don't care about the truck, they care about getting rid of it, and money.

Edited by M1ck3y
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, M1ck3y said:

Right, so the op doesn't like the answer.

 

Unless I'm mistaken, you haven't seen how stuck the lifter is, or what everything looks like. Perhaps you should fix it? It seems to be the aim of the thread.

 

I'm sorry, it just seems apparent to me what options are available. A thread started here is just a cry for someone else to do it for them.

 

The op is aware that other shops could potentially do the work. Aware that engine replacement is an option, and aware that they can't/won't do the work themselves.

 

They don't care about the truck, they care about getting rid of it, and money.

Not many people would like to spend $11K on a truck they are getting rid of, or even keeping. I think the suggestions to further investigate the problem are valid and warranted, which seems to be the point of the thread to me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, asilverblazer said:

Not many people would like to spend $11K on a truck they are getting rid of, or even keeping. I think the suggestions to further investigate the problem are valid and warranted, which seems to be the point of the thread to me. 

 

So if I understand this correctly, You don't see that the op provide his available options in his first post? And you don't see that he's asking someone else to find a shop for him?

 

On that note.. To the OP. I recommend you hire someone to steal it off the yard at the dealership and/or stage a crash. Preferably a big hill. As long as your not caught you wont have to pay for repairs, or worry about finding someone to do the repairs. Hell you don't even have to worry about selling the truck. Just sit back and collect the insurance money. You might even get full value regardless of whether or not its running.  

 

Its a damned if you, do damned if you don't situation. He's not the first to experience it, and he wont be the last. You either do something or you don't. Not liking it isn't an option.

Edited by M1ck3y
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm a total AFM/DOD 5.3 newb but I've had other engines replaced before. Granted, they had bridged cylinders and/or the water jacket was toast. Seems to me it could easily be fixed like others were saying as long as the bottom end and bore are still ok, though I guess there's certainly a range of severity to every different example of relevant component failure where that's not possible or not financially viable. Might even take the opportunity to delete the DOD system if you find a way down that path, but might complicate resale situation if you're as honest as we all should be when reselling vehicles. Like I said I'm not experienced with these engines, I'm mostly thinking out loud in case someone wants to enlighten me as well.

In any case I have found it's good form to never take the word of the stealership's service department as final. Don't let em scare you into throwing money at them. I pretty much only take my stuff in for recalls and pretty much only so they can do it poorly and remind me why I'd rather do everything either myself or through a pro shop.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi All, 

 

I appreciate the feedback (even the criticism). 
 

As some of you pointed out, this was somewhat of a knee jerk cry for help, having just been handed a $11k repair bill just a few weeks before Christmas. However, what I am really looking for is feedback based on people’s experiences with the same issue. 
 

if someone could tell me “I had a this problem and got the lifter replaced at an independent shop and it cost me $x” or, “the typical cost for a complete engine replacement is $x” this will at least give me some information to work with. 
 

I’m sure some will say that I should just go into a repair shop and get these estimates myself however, the vehicle is still with the dealer (going through the slow process of seeing if GM will provide any kind of goodwill assistance) and no mechanic will give me an estimate of the repair cost without inspecting the vehicle first (rightfully so). I am also reluctant to drive it any more than I have to, so having some ballpark pricing would be useful. Pre-warned is pre-armed. 

As an update, the dealer is saying that the cam is also worn (hence why they want to do a whole engine replacement) however, having not stripped the engine down, I don’t know how they can say this. Maybe someone can correct me? 
 

GM are saying that they MAY be able to offer some assistance however, I have to pay for a complete tear down at a cost of $2k before they will give a final decision. Crazy! 
 

Am some of you suggested, I am tempted to do it myself although my mechanical expertise only goes as far as changing my own oil and filters. I have done a reasonable amount of research on how to do this, but if anyone has any videos/guide they recommend, then I would be grateful for the links.

 

Thanks again 
 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is a big repair IMO, not for the unexperienced. You may get it done if you have the tools. If GM will help with the cost this maybe your best choice. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Rupes1990 said:

Hi All, 

 

I appreciate the feedback (even the criticism). 
 

As some of you pointed out, this was somewhat of a knee jerk cry for help, having just been handed a $11k repair bill just a few weeks before Christmas. However, what I am really looking for is feedback based on people’s experiences with the same issue. 
 

if someone could tell me “I had a this problem and got the lifter replaced at an independent shop and it cost me $x” or, “the typical cost for a complete engine replacement is $x” this will at least give me some information to work with. 
 

I’m sure some will say that I should just go into a repair shop and get these estimates myself however, the vehicle is still with the dealer (going through the slow process of seeing if GM will provide any kind of goodwill assistance) and no mechanic will give me an estimate of the repair cost without inspecting the vehicle first (rightfully so). I am also reluctant to drive it any more than I have to, so having some ballpark pricing would be useful. Pre-warned is pre-armed. 

As an update, the dealer is saying that the cam is also worn (hence why they want to do a whole engine replacement) however, having not stripped the engine down, I don’t know how they can say this. Maybe someone can correct me? 
 

GM are saying that they MAY be able to offer some assistance however, I have to pay for a complete tear down at a cost of $2k before they will give a final decision. Crazy! 
 

Am some of you suggested, I am tempted to do it myself although my mechanical expertise only goes as far as changing my own oil and filters. I have done a reasonable amount of research on how to do this, but if anyone has any videos/guide they recommend, then I would be grateful for the links.

 

Thanks again 
 

 

 

 

 

They would have pulled lifters to check the cam lobes.  

 

There is a procedure in bulletin 15-06-01-002K for removing stuck lifters.

Quote

 

Recommendation/Instructions

There are two approved processes for removing the lifter when stuck in the bore. 

 

Note: Be sure NOT to pry on the sealing surface of the block, as shown in the illustration above.


  1. Use vice grips with a slide hammer.
     
  2. Use vice grips with a small pry bar.

Typically, one of the above approved processes will remove the lifter that is stuck in the bore. If not, the engine will need to be replaced.

 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

^^THIS^^

 

When they say its stuck, I think they mean its stuck. That doesn't mean its impossible to get out, but it does mean that its probably not worth it.

 

If they determined this by just looking at, then yes that is poor service. But I can't believe any dealership would recommend a full engine replacement if repair is possible. Especially when they are communicating with gm on this issue. 

Edited by M1ck3y
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.