Gas prices vs potential AFM issues

30 minutes ago, BigBadSierra said:

I have a Loaded 2018 LT Crew cab with only 42253 miles on it.  My opinion is gas regardless of what is happening now was going up.  In Canada the government is basically using gas taxes do drive people to the Electric market.

So I ordered a Refresh 3.0 DURAMAX RST Crew Cab even before current world events.

Our gov is doing the same. Folks just don't see it as the blame is being put on Russia

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I'm guessing that the "novelty" of it switching between V4/V8 has worn off with me.  I use to watch it when I had my '15 Silverado 😢, but I haven't paid any attention to it in my '18 😎, just been letting it do its thing.  As others have said, it's going to fail, eventually.

Told my wife the other night, that this is as close to "hybrid" that these trucks are going to get, since they don't make them in hybrid anymore.  Told her that I'm at least going to test drive the crap out of the '23 EV Silverado, when it comes out. 

As others have said, it's going to fail, eventually.

Kind of agree with this sentiment, but they are machines, and none have lasted forever yet.

If the current gas models have this many problems, including numerous electrical issues, what will the EV future hold for failures, and expenses to fix? They are being rushed to market, so who will be the brave consumers that buy the 1st year models? Pretty sure there will be just as many "horror" stories here on the site. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/8/2022 at 10:22 AM, Grinkly said:

Howdy folks,

I've a 2018 low mileage 5.3 and have used a range device that shuts off afm and start/stop since ~500 miles (edit to add, I had planned on taking it out for highway mileage and being active about not using it at times but truth is I've just left it in all this time) . Currently gas prices are sky rocketing to the point I wonder if financially I'd be better off potentially risking lifters later to save gas money now and yanking the device?... Brain hurt... Too much math...

What do you hopefully more edjumacated people think bout it?

Tia,

Me

Tires wear out. Wipers wear out. Brakes wear out. Drive it long enough and there isn't a part in her that will not wear out, tear out, rust out or just flat break. Or some idiot will hit it, steal it or vandalize it. A deer will walk out in front of you or a tree falls on it or it hails on it in a storm. May get flooded. Much of what CAN happen you have no control over. But the stuff that does depends much on the service it receives. 

Lifters CAN fail but so can a crankshaft or a block. Had a bad casting of a block replaced in a Honda once. Still own it and I never worried about a repeat. Bad parts get put into good motors all the time. GM has had a few runs of poorly made lifters. Forum trolls beat it to death and it took on a life of its own. The hundreds of failed lifters live in forums. The millions of motor without failures? Never a whisper......

Most of these motors will out live ya. 

I'm watching a thread right now where a lifter ate a camshaft. It didn't collapse. The roller and cam lobe micro-welded beyond 80K miles. That is not a heat treat issue at those miles. That is a lubrication failure IMHO. Motor wasn't sludge ridden bit there was a fair amount of varnish. Just a guess here but give the motors call out for a 0W20 and something north of 3% fuel which is a viscosity killer...well...EP adds only work so long.   

• Like 3

I don’t know if keeping the cylinder deactivation turned off helps with longevity. I had exhaust didn’t like the sound. I know GM claims about a mile a gallon with it on. There’s a ton of extra stuff going on that could potentially fail because of cylinder deactivation. Find that mileage somewhere else. Keep it simple.

• Like 1

Thanks for everyone's input!

After weighing all the pros and cons I've taken a a really hard look at the price of gas and decided to just sell my truck and use the proceeds to buy a big ass bag of cocaine and run everywhere for now on.

Thanks again,

Me

;)

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Grinkly said:

After weighing all the pros and cons I've taken a a really hard look at the price of gas and decided to just sell my truck and use the proceeds to buy a big ass bag of cocaine and run everywhere for now on.

Thanks again,

Me

😉

Your mileage may vary!

• Haha 1

I've parked my 93-burning most-weekly-DD Bimmer now that weather is warming enough to run E85 in the Silverado again.  My commute-driving is now split between the truck (lower cost/mile than the Bimmer, with E85 being $1.75/gal cheaper than 93 and $1.50-1.60/gal cheaper than "self-mixed" 91) and my classic 4-banger.  Rain,sleet, sun and snow, it doesn't matter; the old girl starts instantly and is the most fun of my 6 to drive.  Top off the tank with 5-6 gallons every 4-6 weeks, a cost I don't even notice. :)

116d1458426f10f79caf0b544219dba1.jpg

Edited by 16LT4
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Grinkly said:

Thanks again,

Me

😉

See the source image

• Haha 4

• 3 weeks later...

US oil execs testified this week they can't set prices and they refuse to increase drilling or production. 

Biden has nothing to do with it, world markets set prices and unless US production and refining increases the prices will wait until world prices drop.  

Our subsidies of US oil companies is  $30 billion annually so when crude prices dropped US Oil prices didn't.  Biden and congress have begged big oil to increase production and use the 9000 something drilling rights that exist yesterday and today to be pumped.  Wonder why they aren't? 

Vote Vets has it right, its a political game to make you think Biden or Trump have an effect. They have very little.  Big Oil is up in our stuff and screwing US workers at a time they need help.  Those of us that pay taxes subsidize the screwing while partisans hacks think is political.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/9/2022 at 7:40 AM, Frankielozano214 said:

This is right now wit cruise control on 

7A7C18D6-9323-4E86-9E47-C69004A73FC6.jpeg

Is this the Denali cluster? What setting is that, lol, I have the WAMS programmed Denali cluster and I don't recall seeing this menu.