4 hours ago, asilverblazer said:

Except the only example YOU provided was a legal limit and you have yet to articulate any specific data to back up your justification to label anyone towing a trailer over 65 as a irresponsible drunken cowboy. (However, I like the label and will wear it with honor)

Using the map above, sure looks like there is vast majority of the country would disagree with your claimed 65 max. 

To be clear, there is NO universal documented limit to towing a trailer to 65 mph.

Meanwhile, sorry to contributing to the thread hijack, its been fun though. 

You should read what I wrote, not what you want me to have written. I said: "generally recommended".

Towing a trailer at that speed means you're just clueless. It's a 10 second google search for any number of experts to enlighten you, but somehow I suspect googling is a little above your paygrade amirite?

And it's why I refuse to provide sources because I've been down this road before, you guys are all cut from the same cloth and I can spot your arguments and "rebuttals" a million miles away.

22 hours ago, Another JR said:

Quite a few states allow passengers to ride in a travel trailer. Discuss. 

That is totally a new one on me.  Heck I read you can't even leave an animal in a TT when in tow.  I wouldn't put anyone in a TT when towing it anyways but I've never heard of that.  Learn something new everyday.

25 minutes ago, Jettech1 said:

That is totally a new one on me.  Heck I read you can't even leave an animal in a TT when in tow.  I wouldn't put anyone in a TT when towing it anyways but I've never heard of that.  Learn something new everyday.

When my father was a boy in the early 50’s California, you could ride in the camper even there, before CA turned to hell. They stopped at a rest stop for a bathroom break and my Dad was accidentally left behind. They got about 40mi down the road before seeing my uncle waving his hands for them to stop.  My uncle thought he was sleeping so didn’t notice he was not in the camper for awhile. 

Edited by Pryme
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Another JR said:

You ever see the Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz movie where they buy a trailer and she rides in it and tries to cook?  That’s what I picture. 

Actually no.  But I can picture it while being towed and I'm sure it's a nightmare....lol...

Edited by Jettech1

13 minutes ago, Another JR said:

You ever see the Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz movie where they buy a trailer and she rides in it and tries to cook?  That’s what I picture. 

You're a man of oversight.  Have you actually seen a JT8D engine lower front bolt that had the nut come off and it buried it's threads into the mount?  And stayed there until the engine needed to be changed for high oil consumption?  LOL... I know different subject but hey, a great distraction perhaps..

I was involved many years ago with the mount system cone bolts a bit, but I never saw any 727 JT8D hardware. I did work on some 737-200 hushkit projects where we saw the changes being made on aircraft. I started working at the time of the 747-400 original program and the 767 introduction of FADEC/EEC engine installations in the late 80s. 

4 minutes ago, Another JR said:

I was involved many years ago with the mount system cone bolts a bit, but I never saw any 727 JT8D hardware. I did work on some 737-200 hushkit projects where we saw the changes being made on aircraft. I started working at the time of the 747-400 original program and the 767 introduction of FADEC/EEC engine installations in the late 80s. 

Perhaps I'm older than you.  Can you believe the hitch weight of a DC-9?  Well not that they had any hitch weight but we did use to move them around the hangar with the old dual rear tire manual bag tugs.  They weighed around 100k lbs empty fuel weight.  It would take about 6 people climbing on that little tug to just get it to move....We did some sketchy stuff back than but great memories.

We never put hushkits on our 737's.  We did on the MD's along with an upper wing heater blanket because the fuel use to get too cold.  Thank goodness we retired all of those during the covid period.  Those extended DC-9s had a 50,000 cycle limit.  Insane.....what I don't like is we are still running the 717's....they are nothing but an old ass DC9 with upgraded engines and avionics.  Thank goodness they are retiring those as we speak.  It's not that they are unsafe at all.  It's just that technology has pretty proven them worthless these days...

• Like 1

And I have to say, changing the 737-200 engine was my favorite engine to change.  No ladders needed.  The one that made me up my life insurance was the DC-10.  That was stupid high.  Stupid arrangement.  I would rather eat dirt or live in a homeless camp then change a MD-11/DC-10 #2 engine.  Nope...nope and nope...I'm out....Did it several times because I had to.  It was my job.  But never again.  Douglas did a horrible job putting that engine that high up never thinking about those who had to change it someday.... #2 on the L-10s, piece of cake....nothing to that...

Edited by Jettech1
  • Like 1