6 hours ago, Another JR said:

Did they need a WDH?

image.jpeg

I'll go out on a limb and say YES they did on that rig.  Probably shouldn't tow faster than 55 with it either.  :)  

15 hours ago, the wanderer said:

You should read what I wrote, not what you want me to have written. I said: "generally recommended".

So far only YOU are recommending this, and based on YOUR recommendation ANYONE towing faster than 65 is a "clueless drunken cowboy". So, when you call someone out, you better have something to back it up.

Towing a trailer at that speed means you're just clueless. It's a 10 second google search for any number of experts to enlighten you, but somehow I suspect googling is a little above your paygrade amirite?

What specifically are we clueless about? "Experts", I'll need to see some credentials first.

And it's why I refuse to provide sources 

There are none.

Despite all this... I RECOMMEND driving according to conditions, abilities, equipment condition and ratings. 

Are you all still doing this?  I think you all need to meet up and just bash the crap out of each other and get it out your systems....then go to the closest bar and get drunk together.  Next morning you all are best buds helping each other out saying, I love you man, the other saying, I love you too man....lol....You all could be best buds....think about it.  It's not far off the whole life scale is it?

• Haha 1

On 3/10/2023 at 12:04 AM, Jettech1 said:

We never put hushkits on our 737's.  We did on the MD's along with an upper wing heater blanket because the fuel use to get too cold.  Thank goodness we retired all of those during the covid period.  Those extended DC-9s had a 50,000 cycle limit.  Insane.....what I don't like is we are still running the 717's....they are nothing but an old ass DC9 with upgraded engines and avionics.  Thank goodness they are retiring those as we speak.  It's not that they are unsafe at all.  It's just that technology has pretty proven them worthless these days...

I was a passenger many times in the MD87 back and forth from KLGA to KPBI.  I liked it, old school and more room.

How about 707s and DC8s?  I remember being served real food for dinner on those birds and they were very comfortable.

On 3/11/2023 at 1:52 AM, swathdiver said:

I was a passenger many times in the MD87 back and forth from KLGA to KPBI.  I liked it, old school and more room.

How about 707s and DC8s?  I remember being served real food for dinner on those birds and they were very comfortable.

At Delta we never bought any of the MD87's.  We only bought the MD88s, later on in the years we bought the MD-90's, a rare bird to say the least....lol...but a great A/C.  The V2500 engines on the MD90's were amazing.....They were old school for sure.  Basically an extended DC-9 with larger engines and upgraded avionics.  Here's the thing about the MD-88's, the JT8D-219 was so efficient (back then of course) that we had to do heater blanket mods on all of them to help heat the wings up to keep the fuel warm.  The fuel wasn't being used fast enough and was getting cold soaked in the tanks.  That was a huge mod we did to all of them.  

I've never laid hands on a 707, a tad before my time.  The 707 fuselage is the same as the 727 and 737.  Believe it or not.  All basically the same exact fuselage...weird but true.

When I first hired in I actually did work on DC8's.  At that time we were converting them to freighters for UPS.  We would strip them down inside, fix anything corroded, then it would fly to Italy to have the giant cargo doors installed in them.  Great memories...we are talking over 35 years ago for those memories of mine of the DC8's and the MD88's LOL.  Great memories for sure.

Edited by Jettech1
  • Like 1

On 3/10/2023 at 8:52 AM, asilverblazer said:

So far only YOU are recommending this, and based on YOUR recommendation ANYONE towing faster than 65 is a "clueless drunken cowboy". So, when you call someone out, you better have something to back it up.

What specifically are we clueless about? "Experts", I'll need to see some credentials first.

There are none.

Despite all this... I RECOMMEND driving according to conditions, abilities, equipment condition and ratings. 

You didn't google it did you? If you did, you'd quickly understand how completely stupid you sound right about now.

On 3/10/2023 at 8:52 AM, asilverblazer said:

Lovely strawman, did you prop it up all by yourself?

I didn't say "anyone towing faster than 65 is a 'clueless drunken cowboy'". That's reserved for complete morons who tow at 80.

I said the generally recommended towing range is 55 to 65.

10 hours ago, Jettech1 said:

At Delta we never bought any of the MD87's.  We only bought the MD88s, later on in the years we bought the MD-90's, a rare bird to say the least....lol...but a great A/C.  The V2500 engines on the MD90's were amazing.....They were old school for sure.  Basically an extended DC-9 with larger engines and upgraded avionics.  Here's the thing about the MD-88's, the JT8D-219 was so efficient (back then of course) that we had to do heater blanket mods on all of them to help heat the wings up to keep the fuel warm.  The fuel wasn't being used fast enough and was getting cold soaked in the tanks.  That was a huge mod we did to all of them.  

I've never laid hands on a 707, a tad before my time.  The 707 fuselage is the same as the 727, 737 and 757.  Believe it or not.  All basically the same exact fuselage...weird but true.

When I first hired in I actually did work on DC8's.  At that time we were converting them to freighters for UPS.  We would strip them down inside, fix anything corroded, then it would fly to Italy to have the giant cargo doors installed in them.  Great memories...we are talking over 35 years ago for those memories of mine of the DC8's and the MD88's LOL.  Great memories for sure.

Must've been MD88s as those trips were with Delta by the same two pilots most of the time, they were ex-US Navy Tomcat pilots as I remember it.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, swathdiver said:

Must've been MD88s as those trips were with Delta by the same two pilots most of the time, they were ex-US Navy Tomcat pilots as I remember it.

I bet the landings were fun with them being ex-carrier pilots....lol...

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Jettech1 said:

I bet the landings were fun with them being ex-carrier pilots....lol...

Yes, especially right after 9-11!  Loved it but some folks got upset but that was normal for a while back then.

Sometime in 2002 we had another crew take us to LaGuardia.  This pilot dropped us down to below 10,000  while still over New Jersey and we flew along the coast for a long time.  Then, I don't remember how we got there but we were over City Island getting lower and lower as we lined up for runway 22.  Well, we flew just to one side of that boardwalk of markers until the last moment, the gear barely above of the water until the last moment when the pilot finally applied enough power to get us over the ramp and then set down.  Weirdest flight of my life.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, swathdiver said:

Yes, especially right after 9-11!  Loved it but some folks got upset but that was normal for a while back then.

Sometime in 2002 we had another crew take us to LaGuardia.  This pilot dropped us down to below 10,000  while still over New Jersey and we flew along the coast for a long time.  Then, I don't remember how we got there but we were over City Island getting lower and lower as we lined up for runway 22.  Well, we flew just to one side of that boardwalk of markers until the last moment, the gear barely above of the water until the last moment when the pilot finally applied enough power to get us over the ramp and then set down.  Weirdest flight of my life.

Love it!!

• Like 1