Couple cool things and first 400 miles, impressionable thoughts of the 24' HD

Brief points so far on the 2024 HD - 

*-Big fuel tank, long range, $40 get ya almost a 1/4 tank

*-6.0-6.6 gasser - I can't sense any noticeable difference in power but it's only clocked 438 miles. For me, the 6.0 was amazing-seems to enjoy fuel

*-10spd trans - WOW! I'm super pleased now that GM had their thumb up their ass for 2 model years before they got around to making my 2024' - My highlight so far worth every day        of waiting on top of everything else in the makeover.

*-The Super Dooper all digital hyped to hell and back glass dash - After going through it, getting all set up I'm underwhelmed. But most of the videos I watched were by GM truck                dealership folks/salesmen. It's cool, but in a basket, it's still kind of basic. Like a new computer - the same sht just rearranged. Like moving the furniture in the living room. But I keep        imaging the potential that's untapped with the technology and I'm not even sure what it is or could be, but that's not my job. 

*- Super solid, quiet, responsive, agile for such a long wheelbase or at least what I'm used to with the reg cab/LB, I'm not outstanding just yet on the intuitive feel of where the rears are tracking, getting better. I feel like I got all the upgrades on my wants list over the last HD and even more but in relation to dollars, for a 30% increase in price you should. 

PS: My dealer has my truck up now with 30 pics I think. She looks amazing! like new! and the craziest part? Asking more than what I paid for it in 2016 - 

That's it for now :D  

Edited by Leonardo Willi
  • Like 3

Whats the fuel tank size?  My 22 is 36 gallons so was the 23.

Great news on the Trans,  lets hope for a little bit of an  MPG increase

The dash and digital stuff I had high  hopes, it at least looks better then it did.  GM should have been embarrassed with the 21-23s that essentially used the same system that dated back to 2014.  Sad to hear they essentially used the same programming methodology.  Compared to Fords system and the fact its 2024 and these HDs are 60-100k  you would think the DIC would be something comparable in quality to an iphone.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nards444 said:

Whats the fuel tank size?  My 22 is 36 gallons so was the 23.

Great news on the Trans,  lets hope for a little bit of an  MPG increase

The dash and digital stuff I had high  hopes, it at least looks better then it did.  GM should have been embarrassed with the 21-23s that essentially used the same system that dated back to 2014.  Sad to hear they essentially used the same programming methodology.  Compared to Fords system and the fact its 2024 and these HDs are 60-100k  you would think the DIC would be something comparable in quality to an iphone.

Yep, 36 gal tank. I know I'm going to like the extra range. And yes, I was hoping for just a smidge better economy, and maybe it will come as the engine breaks in but so far, I give it a 1-2mpg hit over the 6.0 but as I've said before, we don't buy these things for the fuel economy.

On the dash I feel like there could be some really cool gfx or optional eye candy type stuff (like the marker chase lights on shutdown). I can't short it for making use of the available space, you can fill up the screen with a lot of information but all in all, feels like they left a lot of meat on the bone when you consider this update was 2 model years delayed and had all that extra time to have fun with it.  Maybe on higher trim levels there's more than what you get with a basic SLE/LT???? 

48 minutes ago, Leonardo Willi said:

Yep, 36 gal tank. I know I'm going to like the extra range. And yes, I was hoping for just a smidge better economy, and maybe it will come as the engine breaks in but so far, I give it a 1-2mpg hit over the 6.0 but as I've said before, we don't buy these things for the fuel economy.

On the dash I feel like there could be some really cool gfx or optional eye candy type stuff (like the marker chase lights on shutdown). I can't short it for making use of the available space, you can fill up the screen with a lot of information but all in all, feels like they left a lot of meat on the bone when you consider this update was 2 model years delayed and had all that extra time to have fun with it.  Maybe on higher trim levels there's more than what you get with a basic SLE/LT???? 

Besides my dash on a high end AT4 looking 10 years old,  my main issue with GMs DIC system isn’t even some of the cool graphics and such, although should be easy enough.  Maybe your system is tweeked some.  But on my 22 and wifes acadia Denali its more about function, and her car is worse.  The formatting and location of functions,  some functions you have to scroll through multiple screens to get there and 5-6 difference things to make it happen.  Its just archaic and like I said GM rolled with the same DIC and info system for literally a decade,  nuts.

Im not a software guy, but in my job get into some of its aspects and I have my idea on why these systems suck so bad sometimes.  1. GM doesn’t want to pay Apple or Microsoft to do it right,  believe ford works with Microsoft so probably why its better.  After knowing how IT works a little, the big IT firms probably want a monster amount up front and then a per user fee per year.  2.  Once GM doesn’t own it, they cant make changes as easy and have to go through somebody else, and basically have somebody else in control of their stuff.  3.  A high rep company actually does design it, but GM pays the minimum and gets a basic operating system with limited support on it, doubtful but could be true as this is the case with lots of things you have now.  But most likely this is an onstar led thing and that explains a lot.

• Like 1

I hear ya on the logic of the settings - There's a lot of sections - sub sections - sub folders ect ~ But, it only took a few minutes to pick up how it flowed. I guess one of the big things with this updated info center was the option of apple or android/Google. Me, I'm not a apple person so that was cool but, I'll barely touch the tip of it's capabilities and be perfectly happy. 

You're probably spot on with the development, who's doing it, deadlines, problems. I sold farm equipment in a nice shade of green and yellow and we went through the same things as technology advanced so fast it surpassed what they just spent the last 8 months developing. These things reinvent themselves on a 6 to 12 month cycle I swear. 

I my curiosity is, will they make updates to expand the options and refresh through DL in the future? ~ Or have they sat back and said "Here it is, it's perfect" ???

my issue with new interior is location of controls......the 4wd and light controls are hidden and HVAC buttons are made for an oompah loompah, and also very low in a weird place......i had it in a 1500 and didnt like console shifter which isnt a problem for the 2500

the DIC didnt really matter to me if analog or digital....

i did however like 13.4 screen....nav is much crisper, easier to read and bigger....didnt care for way it operated though as you mentioned, also wireless charger is in a much better spot on new model.....

back in a 23 and it felt a lil weird at first but now it feels normal......you just get used to whatever you have......

overall though they had to do something and it looks nice

Ram was similar, looked really good but function of it not so much......

• Like 1

After reading all of the comments on the new screen, I can't help but wonder if there is jailbreak for it.  Think about Apple years ago and maybe still today, we always jailbroke our phones to get the extra content and make it more useable.  We have since switched over to Android and have never looked back but I'm just wondering....thinking out of the box like I typically do...lol..

21 hours ago, Leonardo Willi said:

I hear ya on the logic of the settings - There's a lot of sections - sub sections - sub folders ect ~ But, it only took a few minutes to pick up how it flowed. I guess one of the big things with this updated info center was the option of apple or android/Google. Me, I'm not a apple person so that was cool but, I'll barely touch the tip of it's capabilities and be perfectly happy. 

You're probably spot on with the development, who's doing it, deadlines, problems. I sold farm equipment in a nice shade of green and yellow and we went through the same things as technology advanced so fast it surpassed what they just spent the last 8 months developing. These things reinvent themselves on a 6 to 12 month cycle I swear. 

I my curiosity is, will they make updates to expand the options and refresh through DL in the future? ~ Or have they sat back and said "Here it is, it's perfect" ???

I get some options are once in a while.  But while I am driving it becomes a hassle and safety issue tbh.  If in the past they will just upgrade bugs and such.  The make sense thing would be like your phone, where you can basically can get a whole OS or layout in an upgrade.  Maybe in a car its hard to do such because of factors I am not thinking about.  But personally I think it goes back to how they develop software and such that I explained earlier.  That and lots of people buy the gadgets when they are new and that would stop some people from buying a whole car.  Me personally I don’t buy for the gadgets,  but when your dropping 70-80k I need to get my monies worth. 

Do you guys use Android Auto or Apple Carplay?

In my 2016, if I'm going anywhere, even just a couple miles up the road, I usually have Android Auto up on the screen.  I don't bother with any of the apps that are in the system from GM.  On the new trucks, I'd do the same thing.  I just see the new screen as a nicer screen for my Android Auto display.

13 hours ago, UWSkier said:

In my 2016, if I'm going anywhere, even just a couple miles up the road, I usually have Android Auto up on the screen.  I don't bother with any of the apps that are in the system from GM.  On the new trucks, I'd do the same thing.  I just see the new screen as a nicer screen for my Android Auto display.

See, right there is the thing - I don't even know what that means 😂 ~ Here's the height of my capabilities for example - Today, I had to go help a buddy out (kind of my part time job since I retired) and I wanted to listen to Pat McAfee show - I'm in my Impala, pull up YouTube on my phone, select media input on the car, pick phone, it comes through the speakers while I'm driving - That's my techno-gadgetry super powers on 10 

I used the mapping thng last August in the Impala for the first time since I bought it. I was so impressed, I can't wait to use it again! I needed it to help get me through Cleveland going to my sister's house and all the interstates, off ramps to the left, to the right, merging from both sides in a 6 lanes spaghetti mess. First time took me extra hour before I realized I was lost and missed a turn - Oh, and the rule is, you aren't lost until you run out of gas :D 

And for me, it's android - I'm an anti Apple everything - goes back to the beginning of PC's and you had to pick a team and Apple just wasn't playing the same game as Microsoft - obviously they're the sht now for some things but long past the thrill of new challenges 🤣

Edited by Leonardo Willi

I just came across an old photo of my first Chevy truck - Just keeping it real, yeah, all this pretty stuff, fancy dandy comfort and tech is incredible, but, that's not how we got here. This is probably why today's product is so amazing to some (like myself), and just a "meh" to others. Appreciation is the key - it's the roads travelled that make the story interesting. circa 86/87ish - my $60 Chevy, (or what was left of it) 🤣 check out where the rockers would normally be - floor mats kept you dry if it was raining and roadkill chunks from sticking to your pants. Anybody spot the year of this thing? It was the 80's, don't remember a lot of detail from then 😄 ~ it was a 60's something is all I remember, but it was better than walking so I loved this pile of scrap. Never left me on the side of the road I'll give her that~ how I'll never understand. 

MeandtheoldSilverChevy.thumb.jpg.2050b875edc73007cf5e0dfbee95e5bd.jpg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, UWSkier said:

Apple car play.  My issue with that though is, it doesnt control everything and you have toggle back and forth.  Android might be different.  Apple just displays your phone screen really.  But you have to toggle back and forth for radio, settings, temp, and other things.  

I was on my 3rd car before I had one with power steering, power brakes and an automatic. All this tech is making us soft. 😎

Edited by 64BAwagon
  • Like 1

At 67 and using my phone for entertainment and GPS already going through my radio via Bluetooth. I don’t see the point of CarPlay. We’re adding too much tec in driving machines that become giant technology failures. I  own both ends of the vehicle spectrum. 2006 is when GM jump the shark. My mother in law got frightened out of driving by technology. Simplicity is longevity.

That Genie isnt going back into the bottle. 

My 2nd new truck was an 85 S10 4 cyl, 4 spd manual, no PS or PB, crank windows and an AM only radio. 

At that point in my life I considered a vehicle with operating windshield washers to be a big step up. 

• Haha 1