Couple cool things and first 400 miles, impressionable thoughts of the 24' HD

About 48 years ago our kids would ride in our vehicles on the floor in a carrier. After a while in a seat much like the one pictured. By our third offspring the seats got little more buckled down. My first truck driving experience was driving a cab over fuel truck on the job site. Much like the one shown above. 

16 hours ago, KARNUT said:

My first truck driving experience was driving a cab over fuel truck on the job site. Much like the one shown above. 

Never forget my first truck driving experience, don't think any of us ever would. My dad's 56' Ford pickup, 3 on the tree. I was probably 7, I would sit on his lap. No power steering, I did the clutching and shifting but not allowed to go past second on gravel back roads. Rule was, if I stalled it, session over. I was motivated to "get it" Eventually he got comfortable enough he would sit back on the passenger side, drink his PBR, smoke his Pall Malls and I'd putt around on dusty roads till he needed another beer and headed home. Life was different then and maybe not a bad thing 😂 

• Haha 1

Hopping in the back of bed hitching a ride to the beach.....believe Subaru even had ugly seats in bed at one time in the 80s

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Leonardo Willi said:

Never forget my first truck driving experience, don't think any of us ever would. My dad's 56' Ford pickup, 3 on the tree. I was probably 7, I would sit on his lap. No power steering, I did the clutching and shifting but not allowed to go past second on gravel back roads. Rule was, if I stalled it, session over. I was motivated to "get it" Eventually he got comfortable enough he would sit back on the passenger side, drink his PBR, smoke his Pall Malls and I'd putt around on dusty roads till he needed another beer and headed home. Life was different then and maybe not a bad thing 😂 

My first p/u driving experience was at 12 or 13. My uncle had a modified 58 Chevy P/U. I think it was an Apache. 283 4speed. He was renting a farmhouse that had a bunch of dirt roads. 

I drove my truck home yesterday and so far I am impressed, it took me a while to get the dash configured like I want and I have to say I am not crazy about the gauges (oil psi, volts, temp)  not having any numbers on them. Other than that its a sweet setup. The 10 spd is awesome. 1600 RPM on the freeway at 70MPH. The shifts are so smooth you really have to pay attention to even notice them. I have a little work to do on it this morning to get it squared away and then it gets to go haul some mulch and pickup fuel for the mower. 

No steps or boards is no bueno, gonna have to get a set soon since my fat a$$ aint climbing than hill for long. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, 64BAwagon said:

I drove my truck home yesterday and so far I am impressed, it took me a while to get the dash configured like I want and I have to say I am not crazy about the gauges (oil psi, volts, temp)  not having any numbers on them. Other than that its a sweet setup. The 10 spd is awesome. 1600 RPM on the freeway at 70MPH. The shifts are so smooth you really have to pay attention to even notice them. I have a little work to do on it this morning to get it squared away and then it gets to go haul some mulch and pickup fuel for the mower. 

No steps or boards is no bueno, gonna have to get a set soon since my fat a$$ aint climbing than hill for long. 

Nice to hear you picked it up! I agree with the gauge layout. I just changed mine up yesterday and it is busy looking with everything and no numbers except min/max. The tranny gauge in the center or either gauge (left/right center) is nice though.

My impression after 900+ miles is the fuel economy is not as good as my former 2015 LML Duramax. 

The 2015 was getting 18-19 on highway. The new one gets 16-17 on the highway. Same 100 mile stretch, same driver, same speed, only weeks apart. I hope it only needs more break-in. 

Anyone else experiencing this?

45 minutes ago, tanders4now said:

My impression after 900+ miles is the fuel economy is not as good as my former 2015 LML Duramax. 

The 2015 was getting 18-19 on highway. The new one gets 16-17 on the highway. Same 100 mile stretch, same driver, same speed, only weeks apart. I hope it only needs more break-in. 

Anyone else experiencing this?

My mother’s 2000 7.3 and my father’s 98 5.9 will put todays diesel trucks fuel mileage to shame. As well as their maintenance and longevity. Even considering the so called global warming or cooling or whatever climate saving devices they currently have. There’re burning more fuel. Factoring in disposal of these pollution devices and whatever material they collect. Taking all that in consideration is any of that doing any good? Of course not, that’s really never considered. Much like electric vehicles. Reminds me of all the foods that were supposed to be bad for me over the last 50 years. All the foods I quit eating and the diets, artificial sweeteners I used. As well as low fat etc. Eating in moderation, walking and genetics is the rule. Believe the science, yea sure not so much.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 64BAwagon said:

Yep, that's my big impression as well - it's CVT smooth 

I had the dealer instill the 6" square steps - no way without em. I'm impressed with them also, very solid steps. 

Glad you got it!!! 

• Like 1

I’m still evaluating my impressions so will keep this short and inline with only 450 miles so far.  It is a bit of a transition coming from a Duramax/10spd but I’m starting to get a good feel for this truck.  The 10spd is smooth but not as smooth as it was with my DMax, I’m thinking once the tranny ‘learns’ my habits it will be just as smooth.  I haven’t done any towing yet but certain the truck will have no issues.  Starting to really like this setup the more I am removed from the diesel,  no ‘hunting’ or heavy downshifts, always seems to be in the sweet spot so  props to gm for the setup.

• Like 1

You 10 speed guys do know that you all are killing me right?  Can you make it less obvious please that we need to kill Jet....Jet didn't do anything wrong, he loves his 6 speed transmission....he loves the new infotainment system and that new 10 speed but holy hell, go easy on him ok....now I'm starting to talk in second and third person....LMAO!!...hey...daaaaaa.  I want one!!!!  LOL..I love my truck, I love my truck....I really do love my truck...I love my truck...bastards.... 😂

Edited by Jettech1

10 hours ago, Jettech1 said:

You 10 speed guys do know that you all are killing me right?  Can you make it less obvious please that we need to kill Jet....Jet didn't do anything wrong, he loves his 6 speed transmission....he loves the new infotainment system and that new 10 speed but holy hell, go easy on him ok....now I'm starting to talk in second and third person....LMAO!!...hey...daaaaaa.  I want one!!!!  LOL..I love my truck, I love my truck....I really do love my truck...I love my truck...bastards.... 😂

Breath in, breath out. Breath in, breath out. Say after me. "I love my truck, I love my six speed." Breath in, breath out. 

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Jettech1 said:

Honestly, I love my 21 3500. Had it not been for someone who offered me a ridiculous amount of money for it I would still have it. The only downside was that the balance of my loan on it was at 2.99%  I got a decent rate on my new one but nowhere near that. 

Even with a ton of money down my payment is stupid. 

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Jettech1 said:

I saw this coming 2 days ago---actually, thought about it 4 weeks ago driving my new truck home when I said to my wife "Oh man, what a transmission---like melting butter on warm toast"

toast.jpg.7d291afbce315f53f181fe7e23f1111b.jpg

• Haha 2

On 5/17/2023 at 11:44 AM, nards444 said:

Im not a software guy, but in my job get into some of its aspects and I have my idea on why these systems suck so bad sometimes.  1. GM doesn’t want to pay Apple or Microsoft to do it right,  believe ford works with Microsoft so probably why its better.  After knowing how IT works a little, the big IT firms probably want a monster amount up front and then a per user fee per year.  2.  Once GM doesn’t own it, they cant make changes as easy and have to go through somebody else, and basically have somebody else in control of their stuff.  3.  A high rep company actually does design it, but GM pays the minimum and gets a basic operating system with limited support on it, doubtful but could be true as this is the case with lots of things you have now.  But most likely this is an onstar led thing and that explains a lot.

From a manufacturer standpoint once you dont control everything inhouse, whats to stop the 3rd party IT from selling some of your intellectual design? They will claim it theirs after a few edits. We had Dxxxxxs (not getting into that publicly) doing ours for years until we seen our system running competitors machines. We only buy the components now and like you said we can do needed software updates instantaneous now vs 6m to a year for all the approvals plus $$$ charge before. Many more points to be made but I dont have the time.   

You also dont want to drown everyone with tech, figure the % older guys who are buying them now. Gotta find the happy medium.