2024 gasser going up the Ike with 13K lb. 5th wheel

I do enjoy some of the TFL content as long as Roman isnt in it.  I do, however, see their point here.  They coined that test, which I would venture to guess is responsible for a large percentage of revenue for them.  Did the guy rip them off?  Depends on your angle, he was certainly aware of the test phrase prior, and at a minimum grabbed some coat tails.  If he was reaching in your pocket, would you have the same opinion?  Im sure there was no mal-intent, and if the above is true, TFL couldve handled it better.  Maybe YouTube yanked it before TFL knew anything about it?  Who knows..

I can see why TFL is protective. It is a business after all and they have invested a lot of time and effort into building a brand. Frankly I would have done the same thing. 

At the 2019 reveal of the new Silverado I managed to get an invite to the event at the Eastern market in Detroit. After all the speeches, we got to mill around the 4 or 5 trucks that were on display. Mr Truck crawled under the truck with the DEF inlet on the side to see if it was in fact a diesel and got yelled at by security. He and Andre were there and I was standing right next to them. I had no idea who they were though until my son watched their video and realized they were at the same event as my wife and I. Unfortunately Mary Barra didnt recognize me from high school so that was also a missed networking opportunity (sarcasm intended)

I read some of the responses here to where TFL should protect their trade marked names to things, like the Ike Gauntlet.  I mean isn't that like me trade marking the saying "I hate Mondays".....If it's that easy to trade mark a saying, then why aren't we all trade marking everything we say?  I think it's dumb what they did.  Call me out, tell me I'm wrong.  I think I'm going to trade mark the word Bro.....In all honesty I think that's how dumb it is to trade mark the words Ike Gauntlet...

Edited by Jettech1

16 minutes ago, Jettech1 said:

I read some of the responses here to where TFL should protect their trade marked names to things, like the Ike Gauntlet.  I mean isn't that like me trade marking the saying "I hate Mondays".....If it's that easy to trade mark a saying, then why aren't we all trade marking everything we say?  I think it's dumb what they did.  Call me out, tell me I'm wrong.  I think I'm going to trade mark the word Bro.....In all honesty I think that's how dumb it is to trade mark the words Ike Gauntlet...

People make money trade marking phrases all the time. The most famous one I can recall is Let’s get ready to rumble. If you can make money at it, so be it. One of the most convoluted events I ever witnessed was getting professional photos to promote our business. We paid for a professional photo layout. We couldn’t make copies unless through the original photographer. Even though we paid for the originals. After learning that we just did our own. 

3 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

People make money trade marking phrases all the time. The most famous one I can recall is Let’s get ready to rumble. If you can make money at it, so be it. One of the most convoluted events I ever witnessed was getting professional photos to promote our business. We paid for a professional photo layout. We couldn’t make copies unless through the original photographer. Even though we paid for the originals. After learning that we just did our own. 

I guess I'm behind the times sir.  I'm not a business man at all.  I keep commercial aircraft in the air with my knowledge.  But I still think it's an over the top thing.  Quick story, I have a very deep voice, I tried to get into the world of voiceovers 20 years ago, even had the mother of a very famous DJ here in Atlanta that was promoting me to her son.  He was like nope...he told her I could take food off his table....the world of entertainment left me high and dry that day.  I never did pursue it after that, probably should have but never did.  But I can't believe TFL was so worried about this guy.  So he beat them to it, who cares.  So he may get a few thousand views while they will get 100k to a million views....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jettech1 said:

I guess I'm behind the times sir.  I'm not a business man at all.  I keep commercial aircraft in the air with my knowledge.  But I still think it's an over the top thing.  Quick story, I have a very deep voice, I tried to get into the world of voiceovers 20 years ago, even had the mother of a very famous DJ here in Atlanta that was promoting me to her son.  He was like nope...he told her I could take food off his table....the world of entertainment left me high and dry that day.  I never did pursue it after that, probably should have but never did.  But I can't believe TFL was so worried about this guy.  So he beat them to it, who cares.  So he may get a few thousand views while they will get 100k to a million views....

Technology has made ordinary people rich and famous. Recently I bought my first smart tv and discovered YouTube. Putting different titles in the search box I discovered most everything that’s on my paid tv service is free on YouTube. My two favorites so far are Vicegrip garage and Dale Jr down load. It’s fun watching people evolve from their original ideas. Most of the time it’s not the subject, it’s the personality. As always if they make you mad, you can choose not to watch. 

• Like 1

It would have been nice for TFL to contact the guy in the first place, instead of going over his head to YouTube. Oh well, that’s all I have on this subject. He made a new video that said something like “DA I.k.e” now so he’s playing games with TFL now. 

• Like 2

Well, that guy supplied much more informative thoughts about towing than the TFL guys.  Andre especially, he should only let the older guy talk on the towing videos, as he seems to know a lot more.  The TFL first look video at the SIlverado ZR2 HD Bison edition was an embarrassing effort by Andre.  I met Roman a handful of years ago in a mountain town, cool guy.  Andre is more window dressing than substance.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 453030 said:

Well, that guy supplied much more informative thoughts about towing than the TFL guys.  Andre especially, he should only let the older guy talk on the towing videos, as he seems to know a lot more.  The TFL first look video at the SIlverado ZR2 HD Bison edition was an embarrassing effort by Andre.  I met Roman a handful of years ago in a mountain town, cool guy.  Andre is more window dressing than substance.

He absolutely did.  But I disagree with you concerning Roman, he comes into the videos looking like he just rolled out of bed.  I mean come on man!!  He could at least buy a comb or take a damn shower before he gets into those videos.  He has no respect for himself and the others there are paying for it..and I bet they know that too!

• Like 1

I've emailed Roman before, about the 6.6 gasser with the 6 speed going up the ike, where they just lug the sh|t out of it until it's like 2500 RPMs. Told them that they may have (at best) discovered a tuning issue but that they need to redo that test and force a downshift using gear limiter or something; that there's no way the 6.6 was that much slower than the 7.3.

He didn't take it too well. I can't stand videos of him in it, he's always so nervous and jumpy and subtly influences Andre to be more "quick" in talking too, like they're worried that people will stop watching if they just slow down and take their time explaining things.

Anyway, turns out, I was right! Never expected the 6.6 to be faster up the IKE, something doesn't seem right in this guys test either. But his conclusion is 100% spot on. I don't care which truck is a few seconds faster than the other over the span of 8 minutes. I care about the complete package, which truck looks better, which one feels/rides better, if there are any flaws or whatever, what its like to drive (transmission hunting) yada yada. It's the complete experience that counts, and this test has just reinforced my feeling for the 6.6 gasser with the 10 speed, which is that its at the top of my list again.

And yes, TFL trying to take down his videos without even contacting him directly first, is a disgustingly petty thing to do. I can't believe they feel that threatened. I'd like to say I unubscribed after hearing that, but I had already unsubscribed long ago after that first 6.6 gasser test they did a few years ago. I do watch a few here and there with Andre/Nathan.

Roman needs to walk away from that channel, I refuse to watch anything with him in it.

Edited by the wanderer
  • Like 1

On 5/26/2023 at 8:31 PM, Pryme said:

Yeah they have always struck me as the granola, man bun Birkenstock type people. 

Truth. As they got wealthier, the whole cast became more smug. Roman and his kid are the worst part of the channel.

• Like 1

This guys Ford 7.3 is coming apart. He just posted a video. It’s knocking from inside the valve cover which then went away and has glitter and tiny pcs in the oil. Ford is of no help he said. Yikes

Edited by Pryme

15 hours ago, Pryme said:

This guys Ford 7.3 is coming apart. He just posted a video. It’s knocking from inside the valve cover which then went away and has glitter and tiny pcs in the oil. Ford is of no help he said. Yikes

Yeah I saw that last night too.  I can't imagine Ford is going to turn their back on him if he's still under warranty.

That's definitely the cam lob delaminating issue that's plaguing those 7.3's. Feel bad for him.

He talked in that video about feeling less power out of it now, no doubt that's why the 7.3 took longer than the 6.6, I knew something was off in that test because you can't put out more power in a similarly heavy truck and take that much longer up the hill, the math is just off there.