Uh oh….

You know something is bad when the thread is titled "Uh oh..."

That is a huge bummer! Was your intention to get a cleaner look by removing the molding on the doors? If you still want to maintain that goal and not cover up the damage with a new piece of molding, a body shop would probably be best. 

I just worry that with such a large surface area, even if you touched it up really good it would still be very noticeable.

• Like 2

Not going to tell ya shoulda woulda coulda speech but if it were me I would prep the area tape it off get some Duplicolor spray and paint over then put the body molding back on. Depending apon your color and body shop they will spray the whole door then you might see a color difference between the fender and rear cab door depending on how good the body shop is I would guess 800 to 1000 bucks more or less. 

9 hours ago, Samari21 said:

What would prepping entail? Wet sanding, priming then duplicolor?

If the factory primer is still intact I would just wipe the factory primer area down with some alcohol then tape that area off creating a box around the area to be painted with a couple of coats then install the body molding back on after it dries. 

45 minutes ago, Samari21 said:

I don’t see any bare metal. I had that door repainted a couple of years ago. I’m wondering if it was a shoddy job. The front door was just fine when I removed the molding. 

Ahh ok then yes its a bad job didn't know you had the door repainted, take it back to them and tell them you had to replace the molding and that was what happened when you removed it, they'll know why the paint came off. They didn't prep it right before paint. Probably give you a break on the repair it's worth a shot.

2 hours ago, Silverado4x4 said:

Ahh ok then yes its a bad job didn't know you had the door repainted, take it back to them and tell them you had to replace the molding and that was what happened when you removed it, they'll know why the paint came off. They didn't prep it right before paint. Probably give you a break on the repair it's worth a shot.

If the paint wasn't fully cured when the put the molding back on, that could have immediately "separated it" from the primer underneath, too. The best path would be get the paint corrected, let it cure for a while (give it a full 30 days if possible), THEN reapply the molding.