2014+ Mud Guards / Flaps

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I installed the OEM GMC's on my '14 Sierra this past weekend. I had to drill several holes but it was straight forward and took less than an hour including removing the rear wheels. I like the look just wish they were color matched; may have them painted later.

Did you ever get them color matched? I also have Deep Ruby and would only get the mud Flaps if they can be painted and look good... If yuu did, could you post some pics..

Thanks

Did you ever get them color matched? I also have Deep Ruby and would only get the mud Flaps if they can be painted and look good... If yuu did, could you post some pics..

Thanks

No, I never did have them painted.

Is anyone using the OEM Flat Splash guards? I couldn't tell from the pictures If they were OEM flat splash guards or aftermaket. I don't like the look of the molded splash guards and would like install something that won't collect dirt, salt, and water. 22894859 and 22894865 I believe are the part numbers off GM accessories.

Anyone else go with duraflaps? I had these on my last truck and I think I like the look better than the oem style. Anybody have any pics to share?

I had oversized DuraFlaps on my '15. After I sold it, I transferred them to my '16.

• 1 month later...

I ended up doing the nut, bolt, washer method since it's pretty much what the directions said to do. I realized that the dealership special service tool was just high grade bolt and nut.

The first nut set I got from the dealership was crap, the bolt snapped during compression. Screwed the rivnut shape up. I banged the rivnut back in shape in my vise and picked up a high grade M6 bolt, M7 flanged nut and a M7 washer at Home Depot.

Worked prefectly.

Put flanged nut on the bolt, then the washer, then the rivnut.

Tightened it down. Put the assembly in the hole.

Put a crescent wrench on the flange bolt putting pressure on the flanges with the wrench to keep the assembly in place in the hole.

Took a socket wrench and turned the nut.

FYI, directions say don't turn the nut more than 3 full turns. The rivnut is flimsy and you don't want it breaking a apart.

You'll know your done because the whole assembly when only held by the crescent wrench is wobbly. As its gets tighter, the whole assembly will firm up and tighten down.

Lastly, make sure you use the crescent wrench and socket both to turn the nut back out. This will keep the rivnut from going loose.

The drivers side took 2 hours between figuring out the assembly, breaking the nut, going to home depot, buying the high grade nuts ($1.80 for all parts by the way) and going home and putting it on.

The passenger side took 10 mins. Guess having the right tools makes a difference.

I just installed OEM mud flaps on my 16 also. I followed similar steps here and watched some YouTube videos on how to install rivnut without a tool. The rivnut in the kit was kinda cheap, I ended up messing one up and ordering a 20 pack from Amazon (stainless steel) for 5 bucks and was back in business.

I used an Ryobi impact driver and did a few turns on it just to tighten it. The top one is what came in the OEM package, the bottom one was the replacement.

I did mask and spray some black spray paint into the hole so it won't rust. No snow or salt here, just rain.

post-155361-0-10228400-1459275241_thumb.png

I have a set of oem molded flaps that I have not put on since i don't feel like drilling in case I want to remove them down the line. I might install them with 3M VHB tape and see how sturdy they are.

One of my mudflaps broke due to extreme winter temps. When I removes what was left of it, I found that from normal vibrations & wind buffeting, the paint under them was getting chaffed. Upon seeing that I removed the other three & found this same paint chaffing. No more mudflaps for me. I had the original Chevy mudflaps.

I have a set of oem molded flaps that I have not put on since i don't feel like drilling in case I want to remove them down the line. I might install them with 3M VHB tape and see how sturdy they are.

I have my molded flaps sitting in the garage and not put on yet for the exact same reason. I don't want to drill the truck. I bought the the 3M side molding tape as well. I was also planning on buying some of that 3M clear coat film as well to put under the 3M tape but am wondering if that may just be overkill. Additionally, will the 3M molding tape stick will to the paint protection film if I did that. Anyone done/tried this? I swear I read about it before but can't find the post, or missed it somehow.

One of my mudflaps broke due to extreme winter temps. When I removes what was left of it, I found that from normal vibrations & wind buffeting, the paint under them was getting chaffed. Upon seeing that I removed the other three & found this same paint chaffing. No more mudflaps for me. I had the original Chevy mudflaps.

This was another one of the reasons I didn't want to do the drill/screw method. The double stick mounting tape and clear paint film I was hoping would prevent that maybe. I have yet to try it though as stated previously.

I think the VHB will hold them just fine. For the front I do plan on using the 2 existing holes as well as VHB tape. The rears will only be held with VHB tape.

Yea, the front two bottom holes line up just fine as the instructions show. I thought there was one hole in the back that lined up too. It has been a few weeks since I checked though. When the weather stabilizes I will check again. It seems that just when I get a free bit of time it rains for an hour or two.

This was another one of the reasons I didn't want to do the drill/screw method. The double stick mounting tape and clear paint film I was hoping would prevent that maybe. I have yet to try it though as stated previously.

Interesting... we'll i've done enough touch-up paint sprays from a bottle (color match) and 2k clear coat (can as well) if it needs repainting. It's just the wheel well so I don't care if it's not done professional, doing the paint job myself is a-ok to me. I'm going to drive and enjoy the new truck for now; worry it things later.

:driving:

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone using the OEM Flat Splash guards? I couldn't tell from the pictures If they were OEM flat splash guards or aftermaket. I don't like the look of the molded splash guards and would like install something that won't collect dirt, salt, and water. 22894859 and 22894865 I believe are the part numbers off GM accessories.

This. I'd like to see these installed.

• 2 weeks later...

Would you choose, OEM, Hudky or Weathertech?

I am leaning towards Weathertech due to the no drill option (don't want to drill into my fender)...only issue is do they provide the same amount of coverage as the OEM???

Please advise

Archived