Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Denai07

Transfer Case Oil

Hi, 

It is time to change my transfer case oil on my Yukon Denali 2007 and I have a critical question which I hope you can help me out before I do something wrong and damage my vehicle.

The owners manual says I shoul use the following:

(Manual transmission Fluid GM Part No. 88861800.

However, my dad's 2009 Yukon Denali manual as well as my friend's 2012 says they should use DEXRON-VI Automic Transmission Fluid! 

My question is, as far as I know there has been no changes in Yukon Denali from 07 to 2012. Therefore, this made me feel a little bit skeptical about my 07 manual. So, for my Transfer Case, should I use DEXRON- VI or GM Part No. U.S. 88861800?

Please help me out!

VIN # 1GKFK63827J379231

IIRC two different transfer cases were offered in 2007 GMT900. One could use transmission fluid the other not. 2009 units used Dex VI in all TC. A quick call to a dealer, with your VIN will get a answer. Maybe MSDALE will notice this thread

manual transmission fluid part number 88861800. Turns out that part number is basically Dexron III.

This information applies to 2007 and prior GM passenger cars and trucks.

Dexron III is being phased out as a product name. It is being renamed Manual Transmission Fluid and carries p/n 88861800 U.S. (88861801 Canada).

If fluid p/n 88861800 U.S. (88861801 Canada) is not yet available when servicing a manual transmission or transfer case, Dexron III can be used in its place.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

Unavailability of manual transmission fluid part number 88861800 U.S. (88861801 Canada).

Recommendation/Instructions:

If fluid part number 88861800 U.S. (88861801 Canada) is unavailable when servicing a manual transmission or transfer case, Dexron III can be used in it's place. DO NOT use Dexron VI in place of the manual transmission fluid in any manual transmissions or transfer cases as a failure may result.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

• Similar Content

• By TIMtheELT
      I have a 2005 Chevy Suburban that has been frustrating me with a "Service 4WD" and a "stability control system disabled".

I've been troubleshooting it for a while and I have been doing the various things that I find on the interwebs.  Some work for a while and some do nothing.

I removed and cleaned some grounding switches under the driver's door.  - Nothing changed. I replaced the selector switch next to the steering wheel. - This seemed to work, but then the errors came back.  
      At this point, the drive system started randomly shifted between 2WD and 4H or 4L.

I assumed this meant that the encoder motor has gone bad.  I purchased and installed a new one and now I only get a red light on the selector switch.  
      I'm not sure if something else is wrong or if I have a bad replacement encoder motor.

I have reached out to the online parts store to see what they say and don't have an answer from them yet.

I scrolled the forums and went cross-eyed before finding a thread that talks about this.

Anyone out there that maybe has gone through the same thing and come out on the other side?

Thanks!
    • By PTXer
      What the heck is this on the rear transfer case half and why would it be leaking?  Obviously corroded, but why does it go all the way through?  Replacement case halves do not show any holes there.  Ideas for fix?

• By Avery Day
      2003 Chevy Silverado 4.3 manual transfer case

The owners manual calls for "Dextron-III" ATF fluid for the Transfer Case. I read that Dextron-III has been rebranded/replaced by PN 88861800 (manual transmissions and transfer case fluid). I can't find this anywhere locally, so my question is can I use "Valvoline MaxLife Full Synthetic Multi-Vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid"? It says that it is Dextron-III compatable.

Thanks for any advise.
    • By Michael Condon
      Hey Guys! I bought an 01 sierra 2500hd, 6.0 198xxx.
      I use it as my daily driver. (:/)
      Anyways, when in 4 wheel drive, i am hearing and feeling a clunking sound not entiringly unlike that of the cv axels. the sound occurs going straight forward and straight in reverse. higher engine rpm, the faster the clunking. (almost as if a belt was turning faster than a pully.) This sound occurred with and without a goose neck trailer attached.
      i replaced the cv axels and the problem, noises and feelings continue. well i thought the Transfer case would be the next logical place to look,  and since i was doing a tranny flush thought i would take out the Tcase and look inside  as well as do a pump rub fix. the inside looks flawless besides the pump  clip being broken.
      I am lost gents. I do not know where to go next. im going to order a the merchant pump rub fix but besides that i dont know where to turn. could the front differential be the problem maker? 
    • By zavdibeg
      Hello everyone!

I recently purchased my first GMC sierra, 4.3l work truck to haul some kayaks and get me through the winter.

while driving it home i tested the 4x4 and it all worked, the 4lo was a little clunky to get into but i had no problem engaging it.

after a few miles i started hearing a clacking sound, it sounded a lot like a U-joint so i investigated when i got home and found it to be coming from the transfer case. there was a leak at the rear output shaft seal, so i replaced that and went to drain and put fresh fluid in, but to my horror there was almost nothing in there, and what came out was a black thick sludge, so i put fresh fluid in and drained it again. again what came out was better looking than before but still clearly dirty. so i finally put in another 2 quarts of dex IV that the dealer said i should be using, and have been driving it for a day or two less than 50 miles. when today noticed that the shift lever is stuck and i cant move to any of the 4x4 gears. the linkage is free i played with it and it moves around. the things that has me perplexed is that the 4x4 worked after the fluid change.

i don't know much about transfer cases, and am hoping someone with more knowledge could point me in the right direction on what my issue could be.

sorry for the rambling i was trying to get as much information in as possible that i thought could be helpful.