What did you do with your truck/shop today

SarahsGMC

Friday gave the beast a bath, cleaned the inside of the windshield, pulled the rears off and cleaned the rims under the plastic hub cap thingies, vacuumed the inside, and washed the floor mats. Still looks like poop because apparently I can't wash a truck for anywhere near well anymore. Also looked up the torque specs in the manual and torqued the rears to spec for once. Still need to torque the fronts.

Saturday picked up a couple co-workers since I got volunteered to be their DD. They both got drunk, one was worse than the other, but she managed to hold it in and not puke in my somewhat clean truck.

Edited by Chevyguy85

Miles: 238,5xx

I went over to my parents house this morning and knocked out the left inner and outer tie rod ends. It took slightly more than an hour from start to end. This side was replaced in '07 or '08 so it wasn't original. The right side was original and it was a PITA.

This upcoming week I need to go for an alignment, new tires, and a windshield wiper.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Edited by white1500

Amazing how long that stuff can last on smooth roads.

In the 2 years I lived in Phoenix, neither of my cars needed any front end or suspension work. That was living! :)

2 years is great up here. I've seen ball joints fail in 6 months flat. :nonod:

A dirt road in the desert is smoother than half our paved roads up here ...

Lol 2 years is nothing but it's negligence to have original suspension and steering components at 238k miles ! The ball joints are way past overdue.

I went 330k on stock components before replacing it all. Not sure how it made it that long, the bearings were still good but replaced them anyways

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

An uncle's 2001 tundra had a ball joint fail a block away from their house a few months ago. They're lucky that it didn't happen at higher speeds or on the highway.

I haven't replaced much on my 2010 2500. Passenger side bearing and upper balljoint. Recently front diff. seals and bearings. I think shop improper replacement caused much of that.

My 91 still has all the original ball joints. Only reason the outer tie rods were replaced was because of the spindle lift. When I did the spindle lift, I thought about doing the ball joints, even bought the parts. But, they were in such great shape, I left them. Still no problems... The newer trucks don't seam to be as stout as the older trucks were. I mean, they can tow more, they are more powerful and stop and handle better, but the old truck just seam more robust...

Edited by Daly
  • Like 1

I guess I baby my trucks my 2500HDs I didn't replace any suspension or brake components except shocks. Sold the '01 with over 90k on it and the '06 with 111k. I did wear out some bump stops though, don't remember if I ever replaced them. Being mechanically stupid I'd have to look up how to even know if anything was bad. I didn't even know I needed new shocks until I noticed them leaking, didn't feel a difference in ride quality.

Edited by Chevyguy85

You have much better roads down there than up here in the Northeast. The constant pounding and with manufacturers cheaping out, they don't last anymore. My truck needed lowers at 38k (inspection at 34k showed play - guy said he wouldn't pass it next time), and uppers at 50k, along with a strut and a hub bearing. Did them all at 55k, both sides.

The older cars lasted alot longer - I still have the same ball joints in our '86 Grand Marquis that I installed summer of '05. Have over 130k miles on them, and I've only had to replace the right lower a couple years ago. That might have been my failure to clean the grease fitting first. I suspected it to be dirty, but got lazy. Bit me in the ass.

My '72 El Camino I drove for 11 years, and never did ANY front end work, not even shocks or tie-rod ends. Never needed it.