Thoughts on first tow with new 6.2L

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have the same sticker, it's on the inside of the fuel door

Ryan

I'll have to check

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

The 2500 6.0 wont have the sticker because it can run off 87.

The sticker only applies to the 6.2 and maybe the previous 6L Vmax?

I have the same sticker, it's on the inside of the fuel door

Ryan

I'll have to check

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

The 2500 6.0 wont have the sticker because it can run off 87.

The sticker only applies to the 6.2 and maybe the previous 6L Vmax?

L9H only although there's been fairly good results in all 6.0l, 07-current, found during testing.

• 3 weeks later...

If I had to use 93 octane I would just go ahead and buy a diesel...

Well if he buys the diesel his wallet will feel a whole new world of hurt compared to just spending a little more on premium gas!

A new 6.2L 1500 isn't chump change. It seems it did struggle a bit. Once you have towed cross country with a diesel its hard to go back to half ton gas. I did it with my Vmax and going back to diesel. 5000lbs you wouldn/t even know its back there, hills or flat. Just sayn. :driving:

A new 6.2L 1500 isn't chump change. It seems it did struggle a bit. Once you have towed cross country with a diesel its hard to go back to half ton gas. I did it with my Vmax and going back to diesel. 5000lbs you wouldn/t even know its back there, hills or flat. Just sayn. :driving:

I absolutely agree with you and I tell everyone if you put a priority on towing you won't be happy with anything but the diesel. But if you can "put up" with the gas for towing pretty much every other situation the gas would be the better choice for a personal truck. It's just bonus it costs less to buy, operate, maintain & repair. Some people just "want" a diesel because it just "costs" more than their buddy's- some people actually need them.

• 1 month later...

How many miles were on your truck? You mentioned it was a few months old. There might be a chance that you didn't have enough miles on it yet and the computer was still in break in which doesn't allow full power.

Just a thought.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

• 1 month later...

Just as a note to this conversation, the past 4 Chevy's I've owned since the mid 90's (3 trucks and 2 crossovers for the wife) I've burned at least 89 Oct, but usually 91. Not that they needed it, well one did, but that these newer engines just run better. Bottom line. It may seem more expensive, but you actually get better MPG so the 2-3% increase in fuel cost give you a 2-3% increase in MPG so it equals out. The high compression of modern engines needs higher octane to perform best. And switching now won't show an imediate notable difference. It takes up to 1,000 miles for the computers in your truck to fully adjust. They adjust that slowly to keep them from being unpredictable, which is a good thing. And, the 2014 engines coming out from GM will be 11:1 compression. I'd be suprized if the owners manual on those doesn't fully recommend 91 oct.

Not to "steal this thread" but I am currently at the two month mark towing my 5,000pound 28foot travel trailer across the country with my 2011-5.3 Crew Cab. We will (the wife and I) be out for about 9 months. I have travel 2,500 miles starting in Salt Lake City to Las Vegas, NV, Surprise Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Louisana, Alabama, Mississippi, and we are currently in the panhandle area of Florida. I have put a total of 4,000 miles on it including running around and seeing all the tourist stuff. It's amazing to see the faces when I pull in to a RV campground and they look at a half ton truck and ask why I don't have a diesel. I tell the because for the $25,000 difference I paid for my Silverado you can buy a lot of gas.

The 5.3 pulls my trailer just fine. It is WELL UNDER the 9,600 pounds GM says it will tow. Gas mpg is what is expected when towing, and that is between 10 and 12mpg-depending on winds, terrain, etc. The SIlverado is equipped with the tow package from the factory. I am a little concerned come summer time with the very smallish tranny cooler they put on at the factory, so we will see what happens when the temps climb.

So don't be afraid of the 5.3 either. Just my two cents.

+1

I agree that towing with a half ton and diesel is a much different experience. When towing with a half ton you definately notice that you have a trailer hooked up. Towing with a diesel, sometimes you have to look in the rear view mirror to remind yourself that you have a heavy trailer attached :D .

I bet that altitude was a big factor. Diesels do well in higher altitude because they are turbocharged. Yes, they still loose some HP & torque but not even close to the percentage of loss a natrually aspriated engine will experience.

Using the equation below.

HP at 0ft (sea level) - 403HP

HP at 6000 ft - 403 - 72.54 = 330.46HP

HP at 8000ft - 403 - 96.72 = 306.28HP

HP at 10000ft - 403 - 120.9 = 282.10HP

hp loss = elevation x 0.03 x hp @ sea level

• 5 months later...

Ressurection ...

Recently purchased a 6.2 gasser. And I traded a deisel for it.

It was third deisel powered vehicle and it will be my last. The maintenance costs associated with a 100K mile deisel are unbelievable.

My old GMC HD 8.1/Alli towed just as well, got about the same mileage, didn't take 4 GALLONS of oil to do an oil change and wasn't finicky about where I bought my fuel.

Get a load of bad deisel and watch your bank account drain.

I'm only a month into the 6.2 and have yet to put it to the tow-test. Looking forward to it, though.

Archived