Thoughts on first tow with new 6.2L

Get a custom tune with 93 octane. It will be a world of a difference. ALOT of torque mgmt off the factory which does more harm than good. The 6.2 and the 6spd make these trucks a BEAST. It will put a smile on your face the whole way. That towing weight is chump change for these trucks. It should tow that thing effortlessly. The tune will help it avoid hunting for gears.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you are running steep grades you have to keep the engine in the torque curve to maintain speed. The overdrive gear just isn't going to cut it. Make that 6.2 sing, down shift to 5th or even 4th get the rpm's up...the engine will actually run cooler when it isn't lugging, and your trans will thank you for it.

Running hills with a load is all about power and torque management. You aren't driving a car when you are towing so don't drive it like one and don't expect it to behave like one. When pulling a trailer you have a combination vehicle. Overdrive is a torque killer, the 6.2 isn't a diesel. As long as you are below red line on the tach you are fine.

I think if you condition yourself to hearing the engine scream at higher RPM's pulling those hills, you will start to giggle driving that beast.

I just ordered my 1500 LDH. I have run heavy tractor trailers all over the lower 48...I went with gas for a number of reasons, you can run the mountains just like a diesel, but you have to make that torque at the higher RPM'S. Engines that lug and work harder than the should at lower RPM'S suck fuel and gas like there is no tomorrow.

Tom

I think if you condition yourself to hearing the engine scream at higher RPM's pulling those hills, you will start to giggle driving that beast.

Tom

That's EXACTLY what I had to do with my 5.3. Just let 'er sing on long grades, too. Plus, I use Aeroforce gauges to monitor engine and trans temps.

Recomended is a polite way of them telling you to use it for the best performance. Anything less with probablyb do the engine more harm then good.

DSC00011.jpg

If you run regular/non-premium fuel in any 6.2L engine performance and mileage will suffer. GM isn't recommending premium or E85 fuel just to cost you more money (even though you did buy a $30+k truck, did you not) they are recommending it for a reason.

I've actually heard of some pretty good results from '07 - current 6.0L testing done using premium as well.

I haven't had any issues towing with my 2010 5.3 other than gear searching, fixed that wth a tune. The 08 is a 4 speed and doesn't jump around looking for gears, pulls hard and doesn't bog down at all. With 3 full size atv's on a the trailer from PA to WV twice a year you can't even tell they are back there, I would imagine that the 6.2L would be much better.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to bring up this old thread. Towing any high walled RV (4000 pounds or 10000 pounds) is an issue of aerodynamics except hills and city driving. All gas engines get 7-10mpg.

There is no benefit to trying to tow in the highest gear. The 6.2L (and 5.3L, and every other gas engine except Ford's Ecoboost) makes its peak torque in the 4000rpm range. The "old days" of towing with a 4-spd trans meant towing in 3rd gear, which was about 2500-3000rpm. Today's 6-spds are allowing 4 or 5 usable towing gears instead of 3. Keep it there, in the 2200-3000rpm range. As mentioned in this thread, trying to run too low of a gear is worse for fuel economy and transmission wear. You will be rewarded with much better drivability, throttle response, and maybe better fuel economy.

Here's the problem. 65mph, 6th gear, 1800rpm. Any incline, the speed drops, driver pissed about "poor performance" and hits the accel pedal, then the trans does a double/triple downshift and makes up the speed.

Now same scenario in 4th or 5th gear, 2200-3000rpm. Same hill. Driver presses a little to compensate and is rewarded with sweet exhaust note under load and maintains speed.

The octane level refers to resistance to knock only. A higher octane gas is less likely to knock with a high compression engine but is a complete waste of money on an engine with the compression range of a gas engine in a truck. The truck weighs over 6,000 lbs. and that along with the trailer is still 10,000 lbs. that the engine is pushing down the highway. The engine develops its peak torque power at 4200 RPM's and you will not get that in 5th or 6th gear at highway speeds. Both 5th and 6th gear are overdrive gears and 4th is a slight underdrive with the transmission not havine a 1:1 gear.

I am surprised at the tall gearing people use to tow. All my gas engine powered trucks and SUV's used for towing have had 4.10 gearing and only my current Duramax diesel powered truck has a 3.73 rear end. But then the Duramax produces peak torque at 1700 RPM.

For towing it is a good idea to know at what RPM the engine will produce the most power and the greatest fuel efficiency. With my truck's diesel engine the best fuel economy is at 65 MPH with the engine at 1600 RPM. In California with a trailer I tow at 62 MPH and do not have a problem with the highway patrol. The big rigs are usually traveling at even higher speeds and it is rare to see one getting a ticket for excessive speed, most are pulled over for being overloaded.

Recomended is a polite way of them telling you to use it for the best performance. Anything less with probablyb do the engine more harm then good.

DSC00011.jpg

Where is that sticker? Is that on a 6.2L I don't think its on my 6.0L.

Archived