2014+ Suspension Lifts

So this may have been already answered, I looked through the thread but 84 pages is alot.. Is the RC 3.5 lift still not good? And if I do that would I have to get new tires or is it safe to keep the stock ones? I am looking to just get a better approach angle, but not spend alot of money. Thanks!

Okay I'm having a real hard time choosing a lift here...

I was set on the Zone 4.5" because they are a sister company to BDS, people talk highly of them and it seems like a quality kit. I've always thought Rough Country is garbage because people just don't have good things to say about them. I just don't understand how Zone and Rough Country are the same price when apparently one is so much better than the other?

I don't want a 6" lift, because they are so overdone on trucks they don't even stand out anymore to me. I also think 6" is the size trucks start to look ridiculous.

So... I'm looking at 4", 4.5", and 5" lifts. I don't want anything higher than 5". I don't want to spend $2000 for a lift, that's absolutely insane. Right now I'm looking at the Zone and Rough Country... can anyone give me any tips, or if anyone has these lifts, give me their experience?

I'm was running the zone 5" kit on my 15 Sierra HD. High quality kit for the price with nice welds. Zone is a sister company of bds and some of my parts do have bds engraved on them. But let me warm you, and I'm sure many others will agree, go big the first time. I had my zone kit installed for about 2 months running 35s, then wanted 37s but couldn't clear them without major bumper trimming. So then I ordered cst 8-10" lift. About $6400 on lift alone when all said n done. And like you, I didn't want to go bigger than a 5" kit, I thought I'd be good with just leveling it.....

I was set on the Zone 4.5" because they are a sister company to BDS, people talk highly of them and it seems like a quality kit. I've always thought Rough Country is garbage because people just don't have good things to say about them. I just don't understand how Zone and Rough Country are the same price when apparently one is so much better than the other?

I don't want a 6" lift, because they are so overdone on trucks they don't even stand out anymore to me. I also think 6" is the size trucks start to look ridiculous.

So... I'm looking at 4", 4.5", and 5" lifts. I don't want anything higher than 5". I don't want to spend $2000 for a lift, that's absolutely insane. Right now I'm looking at the Zone and Rough Country... can anyone give me any tips, or if anyone has these lifts, give me their experience?

82c3e7f6055cb3396805de2690d50f9e.jpg zone 5" on 35s
  • Like 3

I was going with the RC 5" lift at 4 Wheel Parts. They said that there has been issues with that lift but would install if I wanted. They recommend the Nfab 4" or the Pro comp 4" lift. Both of these lifts were about $400 more. I went with the Pro Comp 4" lift because of all the reviews and there was NO modifications on truck so if I want to go back to stock I can with no problems. I also went with this one because it doesn't void my new truck warranty and Pro Comp gives a lifetime warranty on their product. Remember you get what you pay for. The Pro Comp 4" Lift (part # K1158B) runs around $1700. If you have a shop install the lift you are looking at another $600 - $800 in labor. Very satisfied with the lift.

My truck - http://s300.photobucket.com/user/philwhall/library/Fender%20Flares%20and%20Side%20window%20deflectors

Thanks for the help guys.

Crawled under my truck to find out what the factory rims' offset are... +27. I want to keep the stock 20" rims. I love them and can't really afford to buy new rims.

So... I'll most likely be running a 33x12.50 tire, fender flares, and either the 2.5" level kit with 1.5" body lift, the 4" BDS, or the 4.5" Zone.

I want the tires to not look goofy with the fender flares, they need to be flush to look good. Would backspacing solve my issue, since the factory rims have such a high offset? (High offset is good and bad of course, good because you can run bigger tires without rubbing, bad because the tires sit in so far)

And... what is backspacing? Lol. Is it just wheel spacers? Thanks guys.

Edited by Habs

Crawled under my truck to find out what the factory rims' offset are... +27. I want to keep the stock 20" rims. I love them and can't really afford to buy new rims.

So... I'll most likely be running a 33x12.50 tire, fender flares, and either the 2.5" level kit with 1.5" body lift, the 4" BDS, or the 4.5" Zone.

I want the tires to not look goofy with the fender flares, they need to be flush to look good. Would backspacing solve my issue, since the factory rims have such a high offset? (High offset is good and bad of course, good because you can run bigger tires without rubbing, bad because the tires sit in so far)

If you do a Zone or BDS lift they widen your track width. The factory 20s will stick out from the fender somewhat. I have a BDS lift stock 20s and 35x12.5 tire and think it looks perfect. If you only level your wheels will stay where they are and a wider tire will hardly stick out past the fender. I am skipping fender flares i think they make the tires look smaller.

Here is my .02 cents, I was in the same situation as yourself for months and just recently pulled the trigger.

I was originally leaning towards the RCX 5" or the Skyjacker 4" but in the end I couldn't bring myself to cut the frame on my brand new truck. When I looked into the Zone lifts I found that they require you to cut a lot more than just the crossmember ears on the frame. I figured that if I don't like what I went with I can always upgrade down the road when most of my warranty is gone.

BDS looks like a great lift, personally I just didn't want to spend that kind of money and as Payton34 mentioned it will widen your track width. Again, it's only personal preference but I didn't like the idea of my front tires sticking out a little wider than my rear (and no, I'm not a fan of spacers, even in the rear).

So with this being said I started looking at combo lifts. I narrowed it down to either the RCX 3.5" suspension with 1.25" body lift or a 2.5" leveling kit with 1.5" zone body lift. Both allow you to run your factory 20's and both will accommodate a 33x12.50 tire. The RCX 3.5" does require you to notch the front crossmember, but after a little research I found that a new crossmember is only $85. Call me paranoid or foolish, but I just like the idea that I can revert the truck back to a completely stock setup if I choose. I found no negative points to going with the 2.5 leveling kit and 1.5 body lift. But in the end I chose to go the RCX route, mainly because it does provide differential drops, the lift is almost an inch bigger and because the gaps with the body lift will be just that much smaller.

Hope this helps a little as I can relate far too well with not knowing which direction to go.

i just put a rough country 7.5 knuckle on my 15 half ton and have noise coming from the rack. note i did not drop the rack for the install. just pulled my tandem hauler home and the noise got even worse. everything is torqued and installed correctly. anyone else having problems with this? called RC and they said this was the 1st case they had heard of, but thankfully they are helping me fix the issue. also have aluminum arms if that matters. any input or heard anyone else with problems??

IMG_2632_zpsq3vwcyde.jpg

Edited by stormgray2000

i just put a rough country 7.5 knuckle on my 15 half ton and have noise coming from the rack. note i did not drop the rack for the install. just pulled my tandem hauler home and the noise got even worse. everything is torqued and installed correctly. anyone else having problems with this? called RC and they said this was the 1st case they had heard of, but thankfully they are helping me fix the issue. also have aluminum arms if that matters. any input or heard anyone else with problems??

IMG_2632_zpsq3vwcyde.jpg

A lot of people are having similar issue but I think it's just a problem with the rack and not due to the lift. I have a popping noise coming from there when I back up and cut the wheel. It's getting worse as time goes on. Have to take it in and see if they can replace the rack. Pull the boot back and see if any chunks are coming out.

Nice truck BTW!

IMG_2632_zpsq3vwcyde.jpg

Shame your having problems with the lift. Your trucks set up looks awesome.