Replace rusty frame on 2002 Sierra?

I purchased a 2002 SLE Sierra, 27K miles, stepside from the original owner just outside of Boston, Ma.....I live just north of Dallas, Tx......so I was expecting some rust on the vehicle. And sure enough when it arrived, so did the rust. The rust appears to be only on the frame, differential, suspension, etc. and my preference would be to

purchase a rust free frame locally, and have the frames switched out.

I need opinions/recommendations on: 1) how big a deal is it to swap out the frames, and 2) does anyone

know of an individual or shop that you could recommend in a 500 mile radius of Dallas to do the swap?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!!!

Unless there is rot through the frame I think you're wasting your time. All trucks in the north have rust on the frame, axles, suspension and so on after a few years. Nothing to worry about. Especially since its now in a area where it'll likely never see salt or snow again.

out of curiosity why would you purchase a truck from up north when you live in texas? usually people from the north go down there to buy older rust free vehicles.

thats gonna be an expensive job.. probably worth almost the truck in cost. get some black paint and sandpaper and some beer and have fun

• Like 1

KMGZ400.......probably not my best decision! However I like the 99-02 step sides, especially low mileage ones and they are getting harder and harder to locate. Think I stick with the southern states from now on (lesson learned).

• Like 1

• 6 years later...
16 hours ago, Justin08 said:

I have a 2008 1500  chevy crew cab with a 5foot 8 bed I am wanting to place the body cab and core support onto a 2003 2500 hd frame with a 6.6 diesel I am wondering if anyone can tell me it this is an easy process or more complicated then it's worth. Thank you all 

Sounds like a lot of work. Prolly better off building a frame that matches the old frame but only stronger. But the 08 frame was pretty strong for what it was.