Supplier Discount Code - do I even bother with haggling?

I agree 100% with pjb the supplier pricing was too high. I got a better deal by doing all my research and having all my facts straight and telling them right up front what my out the door number was with my trade. Took a couple of weeks and some of my time to find the right dealer with the right truck but that was kind of fun actually.

So you told them you want X amount off the MSRP of a certain truck or no deal?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When i bought my truck, my salesguy showed me the invoice sheet. It showed suppliers price was about $100 under invoive give or take. Friends and family price was about $1500 under the suppliers price. My suppliers price minus rebates i qualified for was $42953. I offered flat $42K and the dealer accepted.

So what some of you are saying is true invoice is less than the "Suppliers discount" price? If so where are you seeing the true invoice price?

Old rule of thumb for a car deal was 11% off of MSRP was their cost. They were still gettting 3% holdback after completing a sale, plus any manufactures incentives for selling specific models or hitting sales goals.

New rule of thumb- even though I'm told "all dealers play by the same rules" and "GM polices its pricing- they can only go so low" ...........I'll throw that 10-11% at them less all the rebates and see what sticks.

Currently working a deal on a '14 Silverado Double cab-. 30700 MSRP........Dealer's at 24700. About 3100 of that is discount. Rest are programs and rebates.

• 1 year later...

In the market to buy, and last time someone on here was cool enough to shoot me a supplier pricing code to use.

If anyone wants to hook me up via PM I'd be much obliged!!

Looking to buy one of the 2015 2500HD Silverados with he High Country package.

if you're trading in a vehicle, and you think you got a great deal on a new vehicle without supplier/family, they probably robbed you on the back end with your trade in.

supplier price is great because its a set price, you can add rebates to it, and then you can haggle the heck out of your trade in to get the most profit all the way around.

Um, no. Nobody robbed me. I got the black book price for my trade. That was fair considering the mileage and condition. From what I can tell, there are different levels of supplier/friends and family discounts. It looks like my supplier discount would have given me 5% off of the sticker. I did better than that on my own and then the rebates were applied. There's no perfect answer. The dealer wants to make as much as possible and customers want to pay as little as possible. I can afford what I paid and I think it was fair. Did I squeeze every last dollar out of the dealer? I don't know but I'm happy with my deal.

when you get the GM discount typically most dealers are done with the price of the new vehicle. Now of course trades have a play in the final price, and I have caught dealers lowering a trade to make up for the GM discount. Which is garbage because GM pays the dealer back for those discount, so technically the dealer is getting full price for a person who used a discount.

Now what can you do and after I throw down the discount, is I say what can you do. They always look at me like huh, and then i explain to them that i understand the pricing the process etc. So its usually good for some acc, oil changes, something.

Friends and family discount is not great, but its something, supplier, employee pricing is pretty good and is hard to beat but can be done. Any discount is on top of any rebates, incentives.

I bought my truck last year over Memorial Day week. I was trying for the Employee Pricing Discount plus the $8700 off incentives they were running at the time. None of the dealers I talked to would give both, so I only got the $8700 off sticker. Took two more days of haggling to get an extra $2000 for my trade in, than they originally offered.

The dealers play this game every day, just keep talking to them if you have the time and patience. I figured the few extra hours I spent haggling on the trade in was worth the extra $2000 I saved. I got a slightly better offer at one dealership, but didn't care for their service department. I just used their price as leverage to finally get the price I wanted, at the place I wanted to buy from.

Archived