2014+ Lowering / Drop Kits

8 minutes ago, krunch said:

I'm assuming when you mention it helps correct the "Chevy Lean" this is not because of the strut itself, but rather when you have lowering struts you have the ability to "adjust" them via the spacers that are included with them?

Thanx,

Krunch

Yes you can adjust the spacers.  My truck has a 1/2" lean to the drivers side. Most of these truck do. So you add1 extra spacer in that side to correct the lean

• Like 1

Just want to clarify something in this post as well... You're at 4/6 and with parts above you did not need to replace the OEM shocks or struts?

Thanx,
Krunch
Yep, I'm still running stock shocks and struts. I am running the shock extenders in the rear, but kept the shocks.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nasty said:

Yes you can adjust the spacers.  My truck has a 1/2" lean to the drivers side. Most of these truck do. So you add1 extra spacer in that side to correct the lean

Or reduce it from the passenger's side I assume :)

Krunch

Anybody ever use the maxtrac kit? I'm  in the same boat you are in krunch trying to find a kit to lower my 4x4 and this seems to be a good compromise between the 2/4 and the 4/6 kits or parts that are available. Just wanted to see what peoples take was on the brand and quality? I'm not really wanting to go to low but I also don't want to deal with the wheel not being centered. To the guys running the Mcg spindles are you running the 4x4 specific ones or running the 2wd ones and making them work with the 4x4? Ive noticed they don't have one listed for a 4x4 with cast control arms.

1 hour ago, G280MX said:

Anybody ever use the maxtrac kit? I'm  in the same boat you are in krunch trying to find a kit to lower my 4x4 and this seems to be a good compromise between the 2/4 and the 4/6 kits or parts that are available. Just wanted to see what peoples take was on the brand and quality? I'm not really wanting to go to low but I also don't want to deal with the wheel not being centered. To the guys running the Mcg spindles are you running the 4x4 specific ones or running the 2wd ones and making them work with the 4x4? Ive noticed they don't have one listed for a 4x4 with cast control arms.

According to the McG site, the 34050 spindle is for OEM cast arms on both 2wd and 4wd. The 34200 spindle is for stamped or aluminum arms, 2wd only. I'm wondering if there is no such thing as a 14-18 truck with 4wd and stamped or aluminum arms maybe? How this applies to Maxtrac? Not sure, haven't looked at their stuff...yet... I was sticking with Bell or McG originally as they were the two that seemed to be most popular, and I assume for good reason.

Krunch

So I sent a request to maxtrac to see if their spindles keep the wheel centered in the wheel well. We will see what their response is. I really hate piecing stuff together but if I have to piece a kit together I think I will go the mcgaughys route since they seem to be the most popular for bot lowered or lifted applications. I will post the response when I get it.

4 minutes ago, G280MX said:

So I sent a request to maxtrac to see if their spindles keep the wheel centered in the wheel well. We will see what their response is. I really hate piecing stuff together but if I have to piece a kit together I think I will go the mcgaughys route since they seem to be the most popular for bot lowered or lifted applications. I will post the response when I get it.

From what I understand so far, the spindles are the best way to lower. They will give you 2". At least the McG will. A spindle will not cause this. But you can only get 2" of drop from a spindle. So I suspect no issues whatsoever if only lowering 2". If you add another 2" on coils, and another 2" on struts, it will start to become not centered but not as bad as if you lowered 6" without using spindles at all.

I'm new here to so if I am wrong, someone correct me.

Krunch

6 minutes ago, krunch said:

From what I understand so far, the spindles are the best way to lower. They will give you 2". At least the McG will. A spindle will not cause this. But you can only get 2" of drop from a spindle. So I suspect no issues whatsoever if only lowering 2". If you add another 2" on coils, and another 2" on struts, it will start to become not centered but not as bad as if you lowered 6" without using spindles at all.

I'm new here to so if I am wrong, someone correct me.

Krunch

Anything with the arms will cause the wheel to not be centered. But you guys are making it a bigger deal than it really is  going 4" max its fine. You can see it but its bit bad at all. Anymore than that it gets bad  im at 4.5" drop in front and ive kind of forgotte. About it

20181106_141951.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok that's not as bad I was thinking it was going to be. I really only want to go 2/4 or 3/5 and Id be happy 4/6 is to much for what I want but who knows I may change my mind after doing a 3/5 lol

Just now, G280MX said:

Ok that's not as bad I was thinking it was going to be. I really only want to go 2/4 or 3/5 and Id be happy 4/6 is to much for what I want but who knows I may change my mind after doing a 3/5 lol

Do 3/5 first.   And if you want more its easy to adjust.  

• Thanks 1

I was actually talking about the angles of the front axle shafts.  you want them as straight as possible.  the lower you go they start to angle up and can bind on turns. using springs or drops shocks will make them angle up,  spindles will keep them straight.  You can do the spindles and springs or drop shocks and keep the recommended angles from a 2'' drop.  Drop shocks with drop springs will put them at an excessive angle and they will most likely really bind up on turns.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, qwank said:

I was actually talking about the angles of the front axle shafts.  you want them as straight as possible.  the lower you go they start to angle up and can bind on turns. using springs or drops shocks will make them angle up,  spindles will keep them straight.  You can do the spindles and springs or drop shocks and keep the recommended angles from a 2'' drop.  Drop shocks with drop springs will put them at an excessive angle and they will most likely really bind up on turns.  

a drop spindle is still going to change the half shaft angle. the "wheel" is still going  up 2 inches no matter what you use to lower it.

4 hours ago, maxpower98 said:

so how did the notch turn out? mine installed very easily.

Sorry. Been busy. I returned the under bed notch and ordered the monster notch and front and rear tubs. Going much lower than I first wanted to