2014+ Lowering / Drop Kits

Hey guys and gals. I've been reading up on this thread and there are so many options that yall suggest. I have 2015 Silverado crew cab LT 2wd and was looking for a 2/4 drop. Wheels will be 22x12 with a 305/35 tires. I dont know which ones would give me "like factory" ride. What is all I have to purchase in order to achieve something like that. Thanks

Hey guys and gals. I've been reading up on this thread and there are so many options that yall suggest. I have 2015 Silverado crew cab LT 2wd and was looking for a 2/4 drop. Wheels will be 22x12 with a 305/35 tires. I dont know which ones would give me "like factory" ride. What is all I have to purchase in order to achieve something like that. Thanks
I'd go with mcgaughys spindles up front with a flip kit in the rear. I would suggest a 3/5 though. I had a 2/4 drop with the same size wheels and tires on my last truck, and honestly I wanted just a little more. bc30fc7b76e13b20674a1338a5c8a9c8.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Ok, another question...

How does the ride quality compare between a 2" shackle and block delete, and a 4" drop via a flip kit?

Thanx,
Krunch
I think the difference between the ride is nearly negligible. You're using the same springs. However shock selection is going to determine if the ride is stiff or smooth.

With the shackles, use shock extenders, and you're good to go, you probably won't be able to tell a difference in the ride vs stock.

With the flip, get correct length shocks, and you'll have the same result. Shock extenders will help soften the ride but it will still be a bit stiffer. Get the right shocks and the ride will be as good or better than stock

2 hours ago, lovelessjl said:

I think the difference between the ride is nearly negligible. You're using the same springs. However shock selection is going to determine if the ride is stiff or smooth.

With the shackles, use shock extenders, and you're good to go, you probably won't be able to tell a difference in the ride vs stock.

With the flip, get correct length shocks, and you'll have the same result. Shock extenders will help soften the ride but it will still be a bit stiffer. Get the right shocks and the ride will be as good or better than stock

I think my ride is SLIGHTLY softer with 2" shackles and shock extenders. (Still stock shocks) May do those and get the lowering struts up front and set them at 0.5" and 1" depending on how the look is as soon as i remove the rear block. I want a tiny bit of rake.

Thanx,

Krunch

I have been considering a lowering my 2014 Sierra 1500 2WD but I really dont want to make any permanent mods to the truck like cutting off the rear leaf spring attachment brackets. Im really only looking for a 2/4 drop in height and found plenty of kits for this but all seem to require removing and replacing the rear leaf spring brackets.

The Rough Country 2/4 drop kit utilizes a shim/spacer to relocate the lower strut connection under instead of over the lower control arm. Its supposed to be good for a 2" drop at the front. And several places sell 2" drop leaf spring shackles. 

So Im wondering if I used the Rough Country type front strut relocation shims combined with some 2" drop leaf spring shackles, plus removing the factory 1" leaf spring spacer, could I achieve a legit 2" / 3" drop? 

Overall it should work without any permanent mods to the truck. Just wondering if anyone has combined all three of these techniques and if, were you happy with the results? And if this works, does anyone have a work around to get the extra inch making it 2/4 drop?

RC-2inch-lowering-spacer.jpg

rear-drop-shackles.jpg

factory-leaf-spacer.jpg

1 hour ago, Vulcan762 said:

I have been considering a lowering my 2014 Sierra 1500 2WD but I really dont want to make any permanent mods to the truck like cutting off the rear leaf spring attachment brackets. Im really only looking for a 2/4 drop in height and found plenty of kits for this but all seem to require removing and replacing the rear leaf spring brackets.

The Rough Country 2/4 drop kit utilizes a shim/spacer to relocate the lower strut connection under instead of over the lower control arm. Its supposed to be good for a 2" drop at the front. And several places sell 2" drop leaf spring shackles. 

So Im wondering if I used the Rough Country type front strut relocation shims combined with some 2" drop leaf spring shackles, plus removing the factory 1" leaf spring spacer, could I achieve a legit 2" / 3" drop? 

Overall it should work without any permanent mods to the truck. Just wondering if anyone has combined all three of these techniques and if, were you happy with the results? And if this works, does anyone have a work around to get the extra inch making it 2/4 drop?

RC-2inch-lowering-spacer.jpg

rear-drop-shackles.jpg

factory-leaf-spacer.jpg

Do not use that kit. Its horrible  

1 hour ago, Nasty said:

Do not use that kit. Its horrible  

Thanks for the reply. I was actually considering a hybrid set up but it sounds like you and others advise against the strut relocation to under the control arm. If thats the case then wouldn't a common solution to be to install a shorter strut and retain the factory mounting location?

Also, are you saying extended leaf spring shackles are a bad idea to?

Thanks for the reply. I was actually considering a hybrid set up but it sounds like you and others advise against the strut relocation to under the control arm. If thats the case then wouldn't a common solution to be to install a shorter strut and retain the factory mounting location?

Also, are you saying extended leaf spring shackles are a bad idea to?
What drop do you want ?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The proper way would be flip kit withift hanger and drop shackle. But you dont want to do all that. So its best you just do a 1/3 drop

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hello all im new to the forum and was briefly reading the thread and wanted to ask a question or a series of some actually. I have a 2015 silverado double cab 2wd that i want to lower its all stock at the moment. Im eyeballing the djm 4/7 drop and am also eyeballing 22" and 24" wheels. And ive looked everywhere trying to get info and just cant get what im looking for. I use this truck as my sole means of transportation and it needs to remain just as reliable. So if i go 4/7 what would be the best options for wheel and tire size for best ride quality and least rub, and how would it effect towing? And if i can see pics of any examples that would be awesome as well. Thanks in advance for any help and advice 

Hello all im new to the forum and was briefly reading the thread and wanted to ask a question or a series of some actually. I have a 2015 silverado double cab 2wd that i want to lower its all stock at the moment. Im eyeballing the djm 4/7 drop and am also eyeballing 22" and 24" wheels. And ive looked everywhere trying to get info and just cant get what im looking for. I use this truck as my sole means of transportation and it needs to remain just as reliable. So if i go 4/7 what would be the best options for wheel and tire size for best ride quality and least rub, and how would it effect towing? And if i can see pics of any examples that would be awesome as well. Thanks in advance for any help and advice 
Nasty will tell you not to use DJM, if you look back through posts within the last few months you'll see his posts about why.

I have a 4wd single cab that I dropped 4/6 because I wanted to keep a slight rake, I used mcgaughys drop spindles, and flip kit, with shorter springs up front. But since you're 2wd, mcgaughys has a complete kit to go 4/7. I would add shocks to the rear that are the right length, I can't give you part numbers because I haven't gotten around to it yet.

For wheels and tires, I'm running 305/40/22 tires on 22x10 wheels. I do rub slightly, but it's just rubbing the liner and not any metal parts, and it doesn't bother me. If you run 285's on 22x9s I don't think you'll rub up front. I'm sure others will chime in later, but there's my 2 cents. 0987ffb97c62040beffb48243cc6a470.jpg

Djm and inez are a nono.   

You have a double cab so i suggest a 4/6 drop for you  2015 2wd means you have the cast arms. Mcg 4/6 is my pick for your truck

If you want to tow then get the mcg helper bags

For ride quality. The smaller the wheel will be better. But a 22 will be fine. In a 4/6 for your truck id feel safe with a 285 40 22

Edited by Nasty
  • Like 1