2014+ Lowering / Drop Kits

4 hours ago, lovelessjl said:

I think it's basically the same thing, your shock probably came with a shorter spring to lower the front, and I just replaced the spring on my stock shocks. I have no complaints about the ride on the front of my truck, I wish I could soften the rear up a bit more though. I started with just shock extenders, and now went with belltech shocks. It's better, but it's still stiffer than I'd like.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Yes I agree, I used belltech street performance rear shocks at first then I also find it a bit stiffer, my thinking is maybe because of the lighter RCSB body, so I replaced it with nitro. I am liking it now so far.

• Like 1

Installing my Maxtrac kit this weekend. Pretty excited. As much as I want to go 4/6 I think I'll leave it at 3/5 for now. I have heard and agree off experience of the Belltech shocks still being rough. I think this time I'll make the jump to dual adjustable Vikings for the rear. 

On 9/24/2019 at 6:21 AM, 204-WPG said:

Yes I agree, I used belltech street performance rear shocks at first then I also find it a bit stiffer, my thinking is maybe because of the lighter RCSB body, so I replaced it with nitro. I am liking it now so far.

Following up on this discussion so I am sure I understand.  I used a drop spindle in the front for a 2" drop and have a 4.5" drop in the rear with a IHC kit shocks.  I am looking to improve the ride as I think it used to be better.  I don't know much about shocks, springs or struts other than what I have read on this thread.  Replacing the rear shock sounds like it would help.  The Nitro shocks you mentioned - where did you get them?  I also see people mention Vikings adjustable shocks.  Searching via Google gives way to many options with almost no explanations for these two spring types.  Anyone with links on what they bought and are happy with for lowered shocks is appreciated.

Does the using a drop spindle with the stock shocks/struts/springs impact the ride?  In the rear using a shock for the lowered condition or a shock extender is a must otherwise the shock travel distance is already impacted and the ride suffers.  Is that the case in the front when using a drop spindle?  Obviously not much of a gear head but I am trying to learn and I haven't had much luck looking randomly through the internet.  Any recommendations on how to improve the ride is appreciated. 

Following up on this discussion so I am sure I understand.  I used a drop spindle in the front for a 2" drop and have a 4.5" drop in the rear with a IHC kit shocks.  I am looking to improve the ride as I think it used to be better.  I don't know much about shocks, springs or struts other than what I have read on this thread.  Replacing the rear shock sounds like it would help.  The Nitro shocks you mentioned - where did you get them?  I also see people mention Vikings adjustable shocks.  Searching via Google gives way to many options with almost no explanations for these two spring types.  Anyone with links on what they bought and are happy with for lowered shocks is appreciated.

Does the using a drop spindle with the stock shocks/struts/springs impact the ride?  In the rear using a shock for the lowered condition or a shock extender is a must otherwise the shock travel distance is already impacted and the ride suffers.  Is that the case in the front when using a drop spindle?  Obviously not much of a gear head but I am trying to learn and I haven't had much luck looking randomly through the internet.  Any recommendations on how to improve the ride is appreciated. 
Stock struts will be stiffer than belltech or mcg

Also incase you didnt know, IHC shocks are re stickered procomp shocks. Which we all know are cheap and very stiff

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, UofAZCats said:

types of shocks that I have tried, Belltech Street Performance shocks and Belltech Nitro shocks. At first, I installed the Street Performance coz these come with the kit. But I find it a bit stiffer for my liking, so I was browsing around and came across a video posted by Reklez, and they said Nitro Shocks fits better to Reg Cabs(due to its lighter weight). I felt like night and day difference. 

So so yesterday I bought some 2x4x8 lumber. 30 pcs. Loaded it in the truck. Man, the ride was great. I was thinking, if a lowered Crew Cabuses these shocks, I am really curious what will be the ride.

13 hours ago, Nasty said:

Stock struts will be stiffer than belltech or mcg

Also incase you didnt know, IHC shocks are re stickered procomp shocks. Which we all know are cheap and very stiff

Does using Belltech or McG struts lower the truck any further?  Can those be used with the original stock shocks or do the shocks need to be upgraded to get the benefit of those struts?  If I keep the stock struts does replacing the shocks matter?

On the rear shocks it sounds like Belltech Nitro are a better option than what I have.  I hear Viking are good as well and found the rear adjustable on the Twisted Metal Workz site for $360 which seems reasonable.  Which would you say is the better choice?

I appreciate your sharing your knowledge on these things.

Does using Belltech or McG struts lower the truck any further?  Can those be used with the original stock shocks or do the shocks need to be upgraded to get the benefit of those struts?  If I keep the stock struts does replacing the shocks matter?

On the rear shocks it sounds like Belltech Nitro are a better option than what I have.  I hear Viking are good as well and found the rear adjustable on the Twisted Metal Workz site for $360 which seems reasonable.  Which would you say is the better choice?

I appreciate your sharing your knowledge on these things.
The mcg and belltech struts are for the front and they are adjustable. I'm not sure what you're asking

10 minutes ago, Nasty said:

The mcg and belltech struts are for the front and they are adjustable. I'm not sure what you're asking

I'll try to be clearer.  Speaking only about the front shocks, if I leave my stock front shocks and replace the stock struts with Belltech or McG struts, will my ride improve?  Or do I need to replace both the struts and the front shocks?

I'll try to be clearer.  Speaking only about the front shocks, if I leave my stock front shocks and replace the stock struts with Belltech or McG struts, will my ride improve?  Or do I need to replace both the struts and the front shocks?
Our trucks have struts up front and shocks in the rear. Mcgaughys and Belltech both have adjustable struts so you can raise or lower the front...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, SirenRed16 said:

Our trucks have struts up front and shocks in the rear. Mcgaughys and Belltech both have adjustable struts so you can raise or lower the front...

Got it.  So the front are struts not shocks.  That explains the confusion on my part.  Does using adjustable struts to lower the front of the truck instead of a drop spindle provide for a better ride?

I think I was confusing a strut with a coilover.  Does replacing a strut without replacing the coilover impact the ride?  In other words if I replace the stock struts with an adjustable strut should I also change out the coilover?  Are stock struts with a drop spindle a bad combination?  I was fine with the stock struts before I put in the drop spindle but after installing the drop spindle the ride seems to have become more harsh over time.

Got it.  So the front are struts not shocks.  That explains the confusion on my part.  Does using adjustable struts to lower the front of the truck instead of a drop spindle provide for a better ride?

I think I was confusing a strut with a coilover.  Does replacing a strut without replacing the coilover impact the ride?  In other words if I replace the stock struts with an adjustable strut should I also change out the coilover?  Are stock struts with a drop spindle a bad combination?  I was fine with the stock struts before I put in the drop spindle but after installing the drop spindle the ride seems to have become more harsh over time.
I'm no pro like Nasty but in my truck I used both spindles and adjustable struts. The spindles are good for about 2 inches, I'm at 3 up front so the struts gave me the extra inch I was looking for

I'm no pro like Nasty but in my truck I used both spindles and adjustable struts. The spindles are good for about 2 inches, I'm at 3 up front so the struts gave me the extra inch I was looking for

I really appreciate your helping me.  How is your ride?  Would you say it was as smooth as stock or better/worse?

I really appreciate your helping me.  How is your ride?  Would you say it was as smooth as stock or better/worse?
I'd say smooth as stock, only issue I have is I rub the liner a tad bit backing up but besides that no other issue. I'm looking at getting the Twisted Metal Workz upper control arms to correct that though

I'd say smooth as stock, only issue I have is I rub the liner a tad bit backing up but besides that no other issue. I'm looking at getting the Twisted Metal Workz upper control arms to correct that though

I just got a pair of the Twisted Metal Workz UCA's delivered.  Take the truck in next week to get them installed.  I only have drop spindles but the wheels sit quite a bit back in the wheel well and my 22's rub and most turns.  I can't wait to get rid of that problem.  Part of the reason i was think about the struts and shocks was thinking about getting all of the work done at the same time.  Thanks again.