2014+ Lowering / Drop Kits

First post, after a lot of searching...

Planning on picking up a RCSB Silverado, 2016, Z71.

Need to tow up to about 6klbs. Not opposed to helper air bags, but want truck dead level unloaded, with enough drop to be recognized, but still enough room for 22x10, -24ish offset, preferably a 12.50 mud terrain. Doesn’t have to be 12.50, but I want wide without stretch.. and with a strong shoulder of a mud terrain.

I think it’s on the outskirts of possible, with a little trimming, and think a 2/4 or 2/5 would be best option.

Problem is that I see some kits at 2/4 level, and some kits with 5” rear drop still with a ton of rake. I know there are tolerances and all, but on average-what rear drop gives dead level rear on a 2” front drop?

Or do you think this is unreasonable, and I should just drop the rear level and run 33x12.50s on 22x10 with stock front end?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This was my 2015 on a 2/4 drop with 22x10 wheels. I think the tires were 305/45/22 which is pretty close to 33x12.0 and I was already rubbing the fender liner.

With an even wider mud tire youd definitely have rubbing issues. I would do a simple reverse level, and call it good. 7b72bbddb68c25be5c0f20b88461ed5d.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nucdancer01 said:

First post, after a lot of searching...

Planning on picking up a RCSB Silverado, 2016, Z71.

Need to tow up to about 6klbs. Not opposed to helper air bags, but want truck dead level unloaded, with enough drop to be recognized, but still enough room for 22x10, -24ish offset, preferably a 12.50 mud terrain. Doesn’t have to be 12.50, but I want wide without stretch.. and with a strong shoulder of a mud terrain.

I think it’s on the outskirts of possible, with a little trimming, and think a 2/4 or 2/5 would be best option.

Problem is that I see some kits at 2/4 level, and some kits with 5” rear drop still with a ton of rake. I know there are tolerances and all, but on average-what rear drop gives dead level rear on a 2” front drop?

Or do you think this is unreasonable, and I should just drop the rear level and run 33x12.50s on 22x10 with stock front end?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2" drop shackle and pull the leaf block and leave the front, it'll be dead level unloaded. I would be willing to bet that 22x10 with that offset and an aggressive tire will be close to rubbing stock so I can't imagine it'll work with a 2" drop up front. 

On 1/27/2020 at 2:10 PM, KEEPS808 said:

Yea when you order from atomic he asks you to measure the distance between the center of your rim to the bottom of your fender and he determines what parts he’ll send. That’s why I went with him instead of twisted. 

Well, after much deliberation and mathematical equations using the formulas at the Viking website and Ridetech's coilover formulas I found out that our truck geometry calls for a 12" spring with 800 lbs/in for a 1" drop by spring... so, no wonder I am still bottoming out even running the coilovers at 17/15... I ordered some AFCO springs at 850 lb/in, and if the Vikings can't handle them I will buy Ridetech's coilovers and use the Vikings on the rear once I do the 4 link suspension. 

As a side note, I did ran the 10" math, and they suggest a 1000 lb/in, but this is with the OEM LCA. I had no idea the LCA had so much influence on the spring rate of a car. 

1 minute ago, Maiden69 said:

Well, after much deliberation and mathematical equations using the formulas at the Viking website and Ridetech's coilover formulas I found out that our truck geometry calls for a 12" spring with 800 lbs/in for a 1" drop by spring... so, no wonder I am still bottoming out even running the coilovers at 17/15... I ordered some AFCO springs at 850 lb/in, and if the Vikings can't handle them I will buy Ridetech's coilovers and use the Vikings on the rear once I do the 4 link suspension. 

As a side note, I did ran the 10" math, and they suggest a 1000 lb/in, but this is with the OEM LCA. I had no idea the LCA had so much influence on the spring rate of a car. 

Damn man you went all in on that research and calculation stuff lol. Awesome. Tbh I’m not all that knowledgeable on all that. I just trusted them at atomic and hoped for the best and it turned out great. You sound like you’re on the right track for a smooth ride though! Are ridetechs better? I never read any posts with them in it. 

On 2/18/2020 at 1:22 PM, Nucdancer01 said:

To have the truck level, you need a 3" difference between front and rear. Almost every 2/4, 3/5, 4/6 drop that I have seen will result in a little rake. Here is a pic on my truck, it's a Crew Cab, and I have a 3/5. That's with a full tank of gas and some tools on the bed. Bed empty and it is more noticeable. 

IMG_0685.JPG

10 minutes ago, KEEPS808 said:

Damn man you went all in on that research and calculation stuff lol. Awesome. Tbh I’m not all that knowledgeable on all that. I just trusted them at atomic and hoped for the best and it turned out great. You sound like you’re on the right track for a smooth ride though! Are ridetechs better? I never read any posts with them in it. 

They are certainly better as far as that they actually asked you for measurements. I think Ridetech uses Fox's coilovers, as their main thing is Air Suspension. Their HQ's are around $250 each, no spring, but are single adjustable. Their 3 way run at $850 I think each. I have a very nice ride now, better than most cars on the road for sure. But after all the investment in suspension that I have done, plus the 4 link in the rear, that will not cut it. The fact that I am traveling down almost 3-4" hitting on the top of the inner fender metal on a coilover that is supposed to have 5.25" of full travel is not good. I bet once the 850lb/in go in I will see the 2-3" on compression I am suppose to have. That will stop me from bottoming out, at least on the highway. 

Ridetechs are very popular on the muscle car scene, mini trucks from the 80's-2000, and HotRods. They have a few systems for fullsize trucks, but nothing for ours at this time. But since I already have the mounts for the Vikings, I can use those to mount their universal fit shocks, or I can reverse engineer them if I need to make them a little wider. 

Edited by Maiden69

• 2 weeks later...

Yup I agree with the 3" difference front to rear in order to achieve a more level look. I am currently sitting at 2/4 with my truck and will be adjusting to 2/5 this spring for a more level look. 

On 11/10/2018 at 7:21 PM, qwank said:

My truck with a 2/3.5 drop for reference

2.3.5drop.jpg

2.3.5drop2.jpg.9c3dfe1c150d05d60a49e1ff3f141daa.jpg

Truck looks great !! Getting my 2/4 drop installed tomorrow on my 16' reg cab wt. Might have to change my wheel/tire setup. currently running 20x10 -24, 295/45/20. so my wheels stick outside of fenders about 1" 

Edited by cmb570

Looking for some info on drop and tire sizes. I’m thinking 24” reps and maybe a 305/35 or so tire, not sure how much I want to go down and look good but not be too low. My truck is currently lifted and just looking to change it up some anyone have pics of a 3/5 and 24’s with a 305/35 tire or something close?  Pic of my truck as it sits now

B887CE83-25ED-45D6-829F-D6718CA1371F.jpeg