Mini DVR 0801 from Ojocam

This will be long winded, with a couple of links, but I can't tell you how impressed I am with both the new dash cam and the vendor. I don't see a dash cam vendor sponsor on our forum, so hopefully there is no conflict. Here goes.

I have been looking for a dash cam for a little while, and considered one at a high price with overheating issues and another low price low video quality camera. Found a review of a camera by a guy who reviews cameras and he liked it enough to keep it and mount it. here is the link to his review:

I decided to pull the trigger, and went to Ebay to find one. Decided on a vendor, fonestop, because it is a California shipper and has a 100% positive feedback rating. Some had this camera(with GPS) priced at $99.99, fonestop I believe showed $108.99. Also had a "make an offer" button, so I hit it and offered $99.99, at 9:00PM CST on Friday night. Offer was accepted within minutes. PayPal...off to bed. At 7:22 Saturday morning(5:22AM Cali time) I got an email with a tracking number stating that my item had been shipped. Received it the following Monday. Ordered Friday night at 9 and received Monday, with free shipping. Had some setup questions for the camera and computer, so I called the vendor, also known as Ojocam.com. Not only did he help me with the camera, but walked me through the computer setup step by step, because I'm old and stupid. 100% positive feedback indeed. Stellar vendor, super nice guy. On to the Camera.

The camera is the Mini DVR 0801. It is full 1080p high definition, and the video quality is fantastic. The audio gets knocked in a couple of reviews online, but I found that the mic "gain" is just very sensitive and distorts with loud music but captures very low sounds around you, which is probably the point. The camera also has a parking mode with motion detection and shock sensitivity, which is good for a guy like me who parks outside 24/7. The viewing software that the camera comes with is really cool, as it tracks your movement via GPS and shows it on Google earth. The review that I posted mentions that the speed data is only available in KPH, but I received an email last night from Ojocam and he is working on new firmware that offers both KPH and MPH.

I would post a video form my cam on here but Youtube compression does the camera no justice. I did post a short clip on the "what did you do with your truck today" thread, but again Youtube and an overcast sky do the video quality a disservice. I mounted the camera similarly to the reviewer techmoan, but closer to the rearview mirror with the power supply cord up through the mirror clip on the windshield. You can't even see it in my truck.

Bottom line:

Awesome camera, cool features, impressive video quality. Vendor second to none, would recommend to family, even the few that I like. I will post his(Lawrence) Ebay listing, as I owe him that much anyway for the help and communication he's given me to this point.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HD-Dash-Cam-Mini-0801-Ambarella-A2S60-Chip-Car-DVR-Blackbox-1080P-G-sensor-GPS-/331062684569?pt=US_Surveillance_Digital_Video_Recorders_Cards&hash=item4d14dfab99#ht_2791wt_1105

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback guys. I need to buy one, I'm leaning toward this one. It would be awesome if they made one that recorded front and rear.

There are a couple of different cameras that have a secondary rear camera, but I'd go with two of these for the price.

I have the IROAD IONE 290V for a little 2 years. the best $99 I've ever spent. Made about $1300 from the Ins for a minor damage.. Basically the camera paid for itself.. :D

Here is my latest Vid:

• 1 month later...

Anyone have a picture of where they mounted the camera in the silverado? Just looking for mounting location options. Thanks, chuck

• 10 months later...

Old thread revival here. Do you all know if mounting this behind the rearview mirror will mess with the lane detection stuff in the new SIerras? I don't know what all is back there and what serves what purpose, I just wondered if anyone with knowledge of the system would have any insight.

• 2 months later...

I bought the new mini 0803 about 1 year ago and used it for my work vehicle. I only had it on the windshield when I was driving the vehicle as I share a car with someone else. anyways it started to mess up about 3 months ago, it would just randomly stop recording. need to get another one.

as far as the video quality goes, it is great! by far one of the best video quality you can get with a dash cam, in my opinion it is better than a go pro. the night time video is excellent as well. I would recommend getting the new 0803 as the night time driving quality is a bit better than the older 0801 model.

• 7 months later...

I know I'm pulling up an old post, but I just received my mini 0803 today, and I'm having a real hard time trying to find a suitable mounting location around the rearview/lane detection system on the front glass of my 2015 LTZ. I also have the luxury of having the state of NH require inspection stickers in the dead center top of the windshield, which is placed immediately under the black plastic of the lane detection system. If I try to put it close to either side it catches a giant amount of the black plastic in the corner of the shot, due to how far off the glass the mounting system places the lens. These units don't have a lot of flexibility in mounting, it only pivots 45 degrees or so, and is not reversible.

So I'm at a loss for positioning, and really unsure of how I can run permanent wiring without an ugly cigarette lighter cord dangling all over the place.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Archived