Posted (edited)

Any had any experience with this kit?

GM Dash Cam

It seem interesting and possibly worth it.  It says it has built in ADAS so I'm curious what all that might add to the functionality of the vehicle seeing as this system actually plugs into the OBDII plug and communicates with the onboard computer.

Thoughts?

Edited by brisk00
Changed to OBDII

I have been looking for a dashcam and the most advertised 1 I've been seeing is the owl dashcam. Same price but includes a monthly fee bc it stores videos on online server and sends notifications to your phone. Everything I've been reading says that a continuous monitoring online server is the best way to not miss an incident. If someone dings your passenger door and the dashcam catches it but you don't, you only have a limited amount of time to retrieve the file before it is overwritten. If anyone has more information or experience with any of these dash cams, I would like some feedback. OP sorry I wasn't any help to your original question, but I hope my information helps in your purchasing selection

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Would love to see if anyone has install and their thoughts. Is there any case study of negative implications due to having one?

Sorry, a bit off topic...  I'm curious why GM doesn't sell a direct connect module which taps directly into the current camera's already installed on the truck.  How cool would it be to have a recording of the front, back and side camera's??  Assuming you already have this feature on your rig of course.

• Like 4

On 5/8/2019 at 5:32 PM, AT4CK! said:

Sorry, a bit off topic...  I'm curious why GM doesn't sell a direct connect module which taps directly into the current camera's already installed on the truck.  How cool would it be to have a recording of the front, back and side camera's??  Assuming you already have this feature on your rig of course.

I would love something like that.

On 5/8/2019 at 10:42 AM, brisk00 said:

Any had any experience with this kit?

GM Dash Cam

It seem interesting and possibly worth it.  It says it has built in ADAS so I'm curious what all that might add to the functionality of the vehicle seeing as this system actually plugs into the OBDII plug and communicates with the onboard computer.

Thoughts?

I've got it, $400 online. Easy to install, comes with pass-through OBD II harness (so it doesn't occupy OBD II port), seems to be working well. Comes with 32GB card, too small - got 128GB Samsung Endurance (you'll need endurance, regular sd card may not last long). People say 256GB should also work. For two cams it needs 160MB per minute. Video quality is ok, nowhere close to gopro or something like this, but not bad either. Parking mode also seems to be working.

Didn't try ADAS - don't care and actually don't want it to make any sounds or signals and usually it's like that.

One thing - glare from windshield is very strong, you'll need CPL filter for front cam at least. Rear seems to be ok without. I've ordered one for $20 on Amazon, will try it tomorrow. Should help.

• Like 1

THINKWARE Q800PRO Dual Dash Cam Front and Rear Camera for Cars, 1440P, Dashboard Camera Recorder with G-Sensor, Car Camera w/Sony Sensor, Parking Mode, WiFi, GPS, Night Vision, Loop Recording, 32GB https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RLPWZX3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_qDj6Cb6CQSMC7

Got it for 350

I ordered the obd2 wire from thinkware

122dbbfd4aa8bc74cb4320d8a0f7b5c1.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a Blackvue DR590W-2ch in my truck. Came in handy when my door was busted in. Although, it didnt really break the case, was just good to have video of it happening. 

I'm sorry guys. I don't get why this dash cam is so expensive! I have had this one, on my previous and the new trucks, and I'm happy with it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B071LPV7G6?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Is there any benefit for connecting the cameras to OBD II? 

I prefer not to connect anything to OBD II, since it's directly connected to the ECU. 

This truck is already so complicated and high tec. I don't want to mess with that 🤪

19 hours ago, AMPRG said:

I'm sorry guys. I don't get why this dash cam is so expensive! I have had this one, on my previous and the new trucks, and I'm happy with it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B071LPV7G6?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Is there any benefit for connecting the cameras to OBD II? 

I prefer not to connect anything to OBD II, since it's directly connected to the ECU. 

This truck is already so complicated and high tec. I don't want to mess with that 🤪

Thinkware is a Korean well established brand, conservative and reliable. Korean dash cams are more expensive in general. 
$400 for top of the line full HD dual cam kit with hardwire harness is a decent price, I wouldn't pay GM $500 MSRP for it. By giving it part number GM made this choice easy for me.

This is the range for such setup with real parking mode which is very tricky to do right so it's actually useful, lasts long enough and doesn't drain your battery to death.

If you don't want such parking mode price should be below $200.

6 hours ago, hardloaf said:

Thinkware is a Korean well established brand, conservative and reliable. Korean dash cams are more expensive in general. 
$400 for top of the line full HD dual cam kit with hardwire harness is a decent price, I wouldn't pay GM $500 MSRP for it. By giving it part number GM made this choice easy for me.

This is the range for such setup with real parking mode which is very tricky to do right so it's actually useful, lasts long enough and doesn't drain your battery to death.

If you don't want such parking mode price should be below $200.

Then why does it need to be connected to OBD II? 

6 hours ago, AMPRG said:

Then why does it need to be connected to OBD II? 

OBD II is the best option of them all - cam knows exactly when engine is on, so it can drain as much power as it needs. Everything else - go to parking mode, i.e. low power drain. OBD II also can provide enough power on its own and it works same way in all vehicles. That kit should work fine in any car, actually. With that engine start/stop tech they have a twist now - engine off doesn't always mean that you are parking, so they have a delay for about 3 minutes before going to power saving. Most of vendors just occupy the port permanently and even have on/off switch on the plug, but I don't like that. That harness is much cleaner and gives you OBD II port back, so we can use it as originally intended without unplugging anything. As long as it works it's fine, but with OBD weird stuff may happen, so I hope GM actually did some review and testing before giving it part number.

Other options would be fuse box tap (no hanging wires and doesn't really know when engine is running) or cabin 12v/USB ports, but that usually means hanging wires and same problem with engine state.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Not a 2019 new body, but I just did the GM one on my 2019 old body.  So far so good.  The OBD harness is a nice touch as I was able to keep my Range plugged in.  Both working non issue.  Plus its very discreet, and no messing with wiring and fuses, etc.   

Footage seems nice, sound quality is good.  I wish they had either a better mic or slightly higher quality?  Needs a wind sock for when the windows are down LOL.  They give you a $hit ton of wire for both the front and rear cameras so they can go just about anywhere on any truck (long enough for a limo). 

I lowered my headliner, removed the front console and rear dome lamp to properly feed everything.  The front edge of the center of the headliner has a notch for the mirror harness and worked perfectly to feed the camera wires in.     

Edited by newdude

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By newdude
      Got my hands on a 2020 Silverado 2500hd!  Long awaited for me for sure, seeing that they are making their way on to lots.  Lets start!

Exterior:  This particular truck I drove was a Work Truck.  In person, the HD is much easier on the eyes, but the WT is, I feel, the least attractive.  I think its the black grille treatment that puts me off.  This truck had the 17" carryover steel wheels, wrapped in LT265/70R17 Firestone TransForce AT tires (yes, the carryover AT not the AT2).  Options list was minimal, including the WT Convenience Package, Integrated Trailer Brake Controller, the AT tires and black bowties.  Overall, the truck's exterior is very functional.  The bed steps are genius.  Sure, they don't tuck away like some aftermarket designs do, however as a result they maintain bed rocker ground clearance like there isn't even a step there. 

Now, I am personally not a running board guy, mainly for looks (and I think 1/2 tons and Colorados are too low stock for them), but this thing needs them!  Definitely an increased step in height with the T1 over the K2 HD.  Its noticeable.  Also, the size increase is noticeable too.  I think its within an inch or so height wise to a Super Duty, and the body is just as wide as one.  They dwarf the K2 HD.  I do think that the 18" wheels are a must for looks, as they run a 33" tire and suit the truck's profile much better than the 17" wheels do as a result of the 31.5" tire they use.  The towing mirrors.  Totally functional.  I can definitely get behind the way they are mounted once you drive one.  This one had the base tow mirror, so just heat and power upper glass.  There is much better visibility in the A-Pillar to mirror sightline.  I found the extending not what I thought it was going to be?  Its actually positionally detented.  You pull it out and it comes off the arm a touch and then hits the outer detent.  No "in between" position, but that might be just because its the base mirror.   

Oh!  Another interesting fact.  No aluminum body panels anywhere that I could see.  Its all steel.  The hood, doors, tailgate, all steel.  Honestly, I was expecting some aluminum somewhere, like the hood at least, maybe the doors.  GM wasn't joking when they said it only shares the cab structure, otherwise everything was unique to the HD.  The biggest giveaway to those keen enough to notice, is the "CHEVROLET" area on the tailgate.  Its nowhere near as protruded on the gate as the 1500 gate.  

Interior:  See 2019+ T1 1500.  Don't expect anything different here.  Its still a good interior ( I think), apart from some questionable material choices in spots.  I will add one important bit.  Anyone looking at a WT or Custom trim HD, make sure you sit in an LT or higher with a power seat.  The hood is even higher yet than a K2 HD, and the tall front at the end of the hood can be a bit tricky.  I'm 5'10" and felt the standard seat to be ok, but some more height would have been nice around a parking lot/close to other cars.  The mirrors, see the exterior description above.   

Powertrain/How it drives:  The big bit.  This truck had the 6.6 L8T gas V8.  For being as large and heavy as this truck is, that powertrain is much improved over the L96, and long overdue.  I didn't time anything, but it can move quite well when you want it to.  I pulled out from an intersection normally, hit 2nd gear and rolled right into it and it took off quick.  The K2 HD dead feeling accelerator pedal is gone too (thank god) and the power feels in line with your right foot.  Much better response.  Mileage wise, I averaged 15mpg, I'd say 65/35 city-highway split?  Even the 6L90 shifting is improved.  Do I still hope they throw the 10L90 in it?  Yep.  But the 6L90 has been a strong unit, and the added power makes it a good package for the time being.  The added wheelbase smooths the ride out a touch.  Stiffness?  Well, its an HD LOL and had 80psi in the rear tires, but it was still well behaved.  

Overall, a nice improvement on the K2 HD.  Love the mirrors, love the power, the bed steps all around.  Love the look more or less, could use some interior help for sure.  

Big thanks to Cavallaro Neubauer Chevrolet in Williamson NY for letting me borrow this beast!  Link to the window sticker for the truck:  https://www.cnchevy.com/f_WindowSticker?VIN=1GC4YLE79LF117398&cs:o=%window_sticker%&cs:o=%27WindowSticker%27 

• By blouis123
      I'm conducting research for GM trucks and was wondering where customers enjoy buying mods. Here's a quick survey for truck owner to fill out:

http://villanova.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_cBeObYnikUpWdIV
    • By brisk00
      What are people using for bike racks in the bed?  I'd prefer the bed over the hitch.

Thanks
    • By DenaliX14
      Hey guys just wanted to share tis bit of info that I was able to find. It was difficult locating a driveshaft for a 14+ GM 1500 so I hope this helps. 

After spending tons of time trying to find a less complicated way to upgrade my DS I visited alldrivelines.com (referral from a member) and saw the 800hp rated 2 piece shaft. I called to verify compatibility and was let down by the rep. It is not user friendly for the 4x4's. 

However, after asking me some great questions Shelby @ Alldrivelines  (661) 633-2303 simply said why don't you get our 1,200hp rated driveshaft for the 14+ GM 1500.. I said ..."wait huh". Tell me more. This is currently not listed on the website.  

It is a 5" 6061 Aluminum shaft with a .125 wall thickness. It is rated for over 1,200 HP and 7,300 ft tq. She can get the correct size for other models too (bespoke).
      I'm running the following with a Stock Trans/Transfer Case and ride hight. 
      Make: GMC Model: Sierra 1500 Denali Drive: AWD/4WD Loc: Rear Bed: 5'9" Chassis: 143.5"WB Doors: 4 Door  
      After some negotiating it ended up being $580 SHIPPED from CA to MA!!!.  (She also suggested the upgraded billet slip yoke rated 1200hp it was an extra $100 so I'm actually $680.00 shipped)**

Just a heads up folks. If you want a Driveshaft that can handle high speeds, high HP and TQ this is the place to go. Call Alldriveline (661) 633-2303 and ask for Shelby. Mention my last name Melaas and they'll cut you the same deal.

A 1,200 hp rated shaft with the billet yolk for $680 shipped. I don't get anything for it I just asked if I could refer my friends here for the same deal and she said sure. Very nice Lady. 

Lastly it is a 2-3 day processing and shipping for me (ca - ma) is about 3-4 days. I should have it next Thursday! I will send pics. 

PM if you have any questions. 
    • By midwestdave33
      American Racing Headers Part number :GM62-14178300LSWC
      GM Truck 6.2L 2014-2019 Long System
      These have 150 miles on them. Like new! Cost $1,775 new. Passing a smoking deal on to you. Comes with all components originally sold as a kit from American Racing.

ARH long tube headers long system for the 2014-2016 Chevy/GM Truck 6.2L features 304 stainless steel, 1-7/8" primaries, 3" merge collectors, and all the necessary hardware and gaskets for a bolt-on installation.

The 2014 & Up GM Truck 6.2L ARH long systems were designed to bolt-on to your factory axle-back or any aftermarket axle-back. Some modification may be required. The American Racing headers require a crossover y-pipe assembly and have converters. Using the catted crossover pipe cause very little restriction and they help to control emissions.

Product features on this system includes:

100% Made in the USA - Never Outsourced

Made entirely of 304 stainless steel

3/8" thick laser-cut flanges for a warp-free seal

Hand-ported TIG welded inlets

Optimized primary tube routing for superior fit and performance

Merge collectors with scavenger spikes

Catted systems feature 200 cell metallic substrate catalytic converters for extreme durability