GM Accessories Dash Cam

Any had any experience with this kit?

GM Dash Cam

It seem interesting and possibly worth it.  It says it has built in ADAS so I'm curious what all that might add to the functionality of the vehicle seeing as this system actually plugs into the OBDII plug and communicates with the onboard computer.

Thoughts?

Edited by brisk00
Changed to OBDII

I have been looking for a dashcam and the most advertised 1 I've been seeing is the owl dashcam. Same price but includes a monthly fee bc it stores videos on online server and sends notifications to your phone. Everything I've been reading says that a continuous monitoring online server is the best way to not miss an incident. If someone dings your passenger door and the dashcam catches it but you don't, you only have a limited amount of time to retrieve the file before it is overwritten. If anyone has more information or experience with any of these dash cams, I would like some feedback. OP sorry I wasn't any help to your original question, but I hope my information helps in your purchasing selection

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Sorry, a bit off topic...  I'm curious why GM doesn't sell a direct connect module which taps directly into the current camera's already installed on the truck.  How cool would it be to have a recording of the front, back and side camera's??  Assuming you already have this feature on your rig of course.

• Like 6

On 5/8/2019 at 5:32 PM, AT4CK! said:

Sorry, a bit off topic...  I'm curious why GM doesn't sell a direct connect module which taps directly into the current camera's already installed on the truck.  How cool would it be to have a recording of the front, back and side camera's??  Assuming you already have this feature on your rig of course.

I would love something like that.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2019 at 10:42 AM, brisk00 said:

Any had any experience with this kit?

GM Dash Cam

It seem interesting and possibly worth it.  It says it has built in ADAS so I'm curious what all that might add to the functionality of the vehicle seeing as this system actually plugs into the OBDII plug and communicates with the onboard computer.

Thoughts?

I've got it, $400 online. Easy to install, comes with pass-through OBD II harness (so it doesn't occupy OBD II port), seems to be working well. Comes with 32GB card, too small - got 128GB Samsung Endurance (you'll need endurance, regular sd card may not last long). People say 256GB should also work. For two cams it needs 160MB per minute. Video quality is ok, nowhere close to gopro or something like this, but not bad either. Parking mode also seems to be working.

Didn't try ADAS - don't care and actually don't want it to make any sounds or signals and usually it's like that.

One thing - glare from windshield is very strong, you'll need CPL filter for front cam at least. Rear seems to be ok without. I've ordered one for $20 on Amazon, will try it tomorrow. Should help.

• Like 1

THINKWARE Q800PRO Dual Dash Cam Front and Rear Camera for Cars, 1440P, Dashboard Camera Recorder with G-Sensor, Car Camera w/Sony Sensor, Parking Mode, WiFi, GPS, Night Vision, Loop Recording, 32GB https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RLPWZX3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_qDj6Cb6CQSMC7

Got it for 350

I ordered the obd2 wire from thinkware

122dbbfd4aa8bc74cb4320d8a0f7b5c1.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm sorry guys. I don't get why this dash cam is so expensive! I have had this one, on my previous and the new trucks, and I'm happy with it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B071LPV7G6?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Is there any benefit for connecting the cameras to OBD II? 

I prefer not to connect anything to OBD II, since it's directly connected to the ECU. 

This truck is already so complicated and high tec. I don't want to mess with that ?

19 hours ago, AMPRG said:

I'm sorry guys. I don't get why this dash cam is so expensive! I have had this one, on my previous and the new trucks, and I'm happy with it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B071LPV7G6?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Is there any benefit for connecting the cameras to OBD II? 

I prefer not to connect anything to OBD II, since it's directly connected to the ECU. 

This truck is already so complicated and high tec. I don't want to mess with that ?

Thinkware is a Korean well established brand, conservative and reliable. Korean dash cams are more expensive in general. 
$400 for top of the line full HD dual cam kit with hardwire harness is a decent price, I wouldn't pay GM $500 MSRP for it. By giving it part number GM made this choice easy for me.

This is the range for such setup with real parking mode which is very tricky to do right so it's actually useful, lasts long enough and doesn't drain your battery to death.

If you don't want such parking mode price should be below $200.

6 hours ago, hardloaf said:

Thinkware is a Korean well established brand, conservative and reliable. Korean dash cams are more expensive in general. 
$400 for top of the line full HD dual cam kit with hardwire harness is a decent price, I wouldn't pay GM $500 MSRP for it. By giving it part number GM made this choice easy for me.

This is the range for such setup with real parking mode which is very tricky to do right so it's actually useful, lasts long enough and doesn't drain your battery to death.

If you don't want such parking mode price should be below $200.

Then why does it need to be connected to OBD II? 

6 hours ago, AMPRG said:

Then why does it need to be connected to OBD II? 

OBD II is the best option of them all - cam knows exactly when engine is on, so it can drain as much power as it needs. Everything else - go to parking mode, i.e. low power drain. OBD II also can provide enough power on its own and it works same way in all vehicles. That kit should work fine in any car, actually. With that engine start/stop tech they have a twist now - engine off doesn't always mean that you are parking, so they have a delay for about 3 minutes before going to power saving. Most of vendors just occupy the port permanently and even have on/off switch on the plug, but I don't like that. That harness is much cleaner and gives you OBD II port back, so we can use it as originally intended without unplugging anything. As long as it works it's fine, but with OBD weird stuff may happen, so I hope GM actually did some review and testing before giving it part number.

Other options would be fuse box tap (no hanging wires and doesn't really know when engine is running) or cabin 12v/USB ports, but that usually means hanging wires and same problem with engine state.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not a 2019 new body, but I just did the GM one on my 2019 old body.  So far so good.  The OBD harness is a nice touch as I was able to keep my Range plugged in.  Both working non issue.  Plus its very discreet, and no messing with wiring and fuses, etc.   

Footage seems nice, sound quality is good.  I wish they had either a better mic or slightly higher quality?  Needs a wind sock for when the windows are down LOL.  They give you a $hit ton of wire for both the front and rear cameras so they can go just about anywhere on any truck (long enough for a limo). 

I lowered my headliner, removed the front console and rear dome lamp to properly feed everything.  The front edge of the center of the headliner has a notch for the mirror harness and worked perfectly to feed the camera wires in.     

Edited by newdude

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...