Power source for a dash cam?

I have a dash cam that I had been using previously on my 1500 Sierra, but now have a 2015 Sierra SLT 3500HD. :) Is there a place in the mirror housing or the overhead console that would provide a switched power source for a dash cam? The truck is a week old, so I don't want to do anything stupid to it...yet. Really tired of the wires hanging down to the power ports and getting in the way if not necessary, when there might be an appropriate switched power near the top of the windshield. I did a couple of searches for "dash cam" and "overhead power" on this forum with no results, so if this has been discussed previously, please direct me to the link. :seeya:

There was a post in the 2104,2015,2016 Silverado Forum under Accessories & Mods. Under the Title Radar Detector on page 9. It tells which wires to use to get 12v. I ran my power cable hidden between windshield and headrest to the driver corner then tuck it inside all the way down went underneath. Then I bought a plug in with a lighted switch built in it and it has a female adaptor to plug your dash cam to underneath. But I know you don't want to do that way, but then I just get in flip it on and go.

Makes me wonder... for those with the snow plow prep package and no desire to put on any warning light stuff on top, if that switch could be used as power source for a cam, especially one mounted high on the windshield.

Totally understand post up a picture of that new truck like to see um.

Pretty happy with this GMC, haven't had the Intellilinc before nor weather radar. We plan to pull our RV all over the USA for the next few years and I wanted a truck that wouldn't think twice about pulling 16,000# around. This one should do it easily.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived