Passive Entry Rear Handle

Hey all,

I have a 2022 Sierra SLT with passive entry locks on the front handles. Does anyone know if I can easily add passive entry locks to the rear handles? Acquiring the actual handles would not be the issue but I'm wondering if there is a harness (or whatever powers the front passive entry buttons) in the rear door to begin with. I know they come standard on Denali, so was thinking GM might just leave the wiring in the door for different trims but not include the passive handles all around. As I type this, though, I'm sure there's programming that needs to be done but figured it was worth a shot - because why not!

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

I just picked up a 23 GMC and the dealer told me they aren’t putting on the rear doors due to chip shortage? So if that’s a fact I doubt it’s something that’s already there, but if you figure it out let me know as I already miss that option from my 2019.

I heard Ford quit doing the rear button on many trim levels couple of years ago. Data showed they were not getting used that often. Cost cutting.

My guess is that GM did the same, for the same reason.

Edited by jashaw

• 8 months later...
On 2/27/2023 at 8:12 PM, eppieguy said:

I just picked up a 23 GMC and the dealer told me they aren’t putting on the rear doors due to chip shortage? So if that’s a fact I doubt it’s something that’s already there, but if you figure it out let me know as I already miss that option from my 2019.

I heard the same, it's chip shortages and I also believe a cost factor. Had the button on all 4 handles of my 2019, getting used to having it only on the front door handles of my 2023. I see other manufacturers doing the same, it's not just GM.

On 2/27/2023 at 7:58 PM, drmilesbennell said:

Hey all,

I have a 2022 Sierra SLT with passive entry locks on the front handles. Does anyone know if I can easily add passive entry locks to the rear handles? Acquiring the actual handles would not be the issue but I'm wondering if there is a harness (or whatever powers the front passive entry buttons) in the rear door to begin with. I know they come standard on Denali, so was thinking GM might just leave the wiring in the door for different trims but not include the passive handles all around. As I type this, though, I'm sure there's programming that needs to be done but figured it was worth a shot - because why not!

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

It may depends on the model year as well as trim.

My '23 Denali does not have buttons on back doors.  (I think my '21 did.)