5.3 versus 6.2

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 6.2 will do slightly worse MPG-wise on the recommended premium fuel. You can use lower octane but you'll see a notable power loss and it may lower your efficiency even more. Don't let premium scare you. It's maybe $6-$8 more per fill.

you wont hear it from me, current truck tuned only gets 17-18mpg on the highway with the 5.3 driving like a little old lady, the new truck is already going to be an improvement.

• 2 months later...

As i am anxiously waiting for my 6.2 to arrive some day.........

I was able to drive the 5.3 and not the 6.2

And I know the 6.2 obviously has more horsepower and torque.

Is there anyone that has driven both the 5.3 and the 6.2? How would you explain the difference?

IE, Throttle response at low speeds, compartment noise (bose noise canceling), handling, high way speeds Etc

difference ... don't buy the 5.3. but that's from a horsepower junkie. 6.2 is more responsive. less lag in the power. and just makes the truck feel way lighter. I waited almost 20 weeks and counting for my 6.2

As i am anxiously waiting for my 6.2 to arrive some day.........

I was able to drive the 5.3 and not the 6.2

And I know the 6.2 obviously has more horsepower and torque.

Is there anyone that has driven both the 5.3 and the 6.2? How would you explain the difference?

IE, Throttle response at low speeds, compartment noise (bose noise canceling), handling, high way speeds Etc

Simply put...NIGHT & DAY!!! I haven't driven a vehicle this powerful since my "Corvette days" in the 70s.

I test drove both and came from a 2010 5.3 truck, I almost thought the new DI 5.3 was going to be enough to satisfy me because there were no 6.2 trucks on the lot. The dealer I was dealing with made a crappy offer for my trade and a friend pointed me towards one of his friends, they had a 2wd 6.2 on the lot I test drove. I was hooked right then and there.

Stock the truck is a beast, once I get past the warranty issue and tune mine it is going to be wicked. You can tell that GM feathers the power in for sure and the shifts are granny slow and smooth. I don't need the truck to bark the tires, but a nice quick firm shift up/down would be great along with better throttle response.

I drove both trucks before buying mine. The 5.3 runs great, I almost got one, but it was a slt and I wanted a Denali. I found the Denali that I have now and it has the 6.2. Both engines are so smooth, but the 6.2 wakes up quickly and likes to rev. It runs up to around 5500 rpm's before shifting when getting on it. I would have been happy with the 5.3 Denali, but I think the 6.2 will be nice when towing my Baja boat.

I have driven both but I bought my 5.3 before before the 6.2's came out and didn't want to wait. The 5.3 is plenty for me, if its your only vehicle and you're a HP junkie and need the most powerful thing out there then I would say the 6.2 for sure. But, like I keep saying on this forum - its a damn truck. I have a vette w/ the same power that weighs HALF literally HALF as much as these trucks w/ the same rear end gearing, so I'm not going to fork over another $2000 on top of the $50,000 the truck costs to have the feeling of more power because its never going to be "fast". Quick for a truck sure, but not fast.

Also - FWIW I have been getting like 15mpg on the highway @ 80 w/ my 5.3, you know you will want to drive just as fast if not quicker in the 6.2 and I doubt it'll be better, will probably be worse, I don't believe anyone on here saying they consistently get in the 20's - its not possible. @ 65 mph on perfectly flat ground w/ a tail wind @ 58 degrees, yeah maybe.

Taking all that into account if I didn't have a sportbike and vette I'd probably opt for 6.2 anyhow.

First this just my opinion that's all but...I went to buy a 13 two wheel drive Denali ok nice with a bed cover 45,560.00 plus ttl. Then I look at my 14 Texas package 5.3,355hp six speed oh ok got to drive it. So I said self, you really wanted the big motor the other extras didn't matter to me. Then I looked at the 0to60 on both, man I could get there no problem. So just depends what your looking for I paid 32465 drive out. My in town gas so far is real close to 18mpg ten minutes warm ups

Archived